Top Pirates at their position

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave

Post by WildwoodDave »

Some of you might have seen this. The MLB has been running this. They are showing the top 5. For instance, Jason Kendall was voted their top catcher. Manny Sanguillen #2 Tony Pena #3 and Smokey Burgess #5 Never heard of the other one.

1B- Obviously Willie Stargell. The other 4- Just shows how bad the position has been 2. Jake Beckley 1888-1896 3. George Grantham 1925-1931.(possibly Shedman saw him play 4. Eddie Fletcher 1937-1947 5. Gus Suhr 1930 -1939

The salaries of the 2-5 together wouldn't equal what Doc made in his final year of teaching
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4C72777F6C74747F5F7A6D7E1B0 wrote: Some of you might have seen this. The MLB has been running this. They are showing the top 5. For instance, Jason Kendall was voted their top catcher. Manny Sanguillen #2 Tony Pena #3 and Smokey Burgess #5 Never heard of the other one.

1B- Obviously Willie Stargell. The other 4- Just shows how bad the position has been 2. Jake Beckley 1888-1896 3. George Grantham 1925-1931.(possibly Shedman saw him play 4. Eddie Fletcher 1937-1947 5. Gus Suhr 1930 -1939      

The salaries of the 2-5 together wouldn't equal what Doc made in his final year of teaching

I guess it was close between Stargell and Jaso. ;) I would rate Sanguillen over Kendall.
iwatch

Post by iwatch »

Open a spot for Luke Maile.

By the way, George Grantham might make the Top 5 Pirate second basemen too. Maz, Johnnie Ray?, Stennett ?, who else?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

647A6C796E650D0 wrote: Open a spot for Luke Maile. 

By the way, George Grantham might make the Top 5 Pirate second basemen too.  Maz, Johnnie Ray?, Stennett ?, who else?
Dave Cash, Walker, Garcia, Lind, Sanchez, Harrison

Javy

Post by Javy »

507D70616677602023120 wrote: Some of you might have seen this. The MLB has been running this. They are showing the top 5. For instance, Jason Kendall was voted their top catcher. Manny Sanguillen #2 Tony Pena #3 and Smokey Burgess #5 Never heard of the other one.

I guess it was close between Stargell and Jaso.  ;) I would rate Sanguillen over Kendall.

interestingly, Stargell didn't make the full time move to 1st base until 1975. I've read about the others, but I've often wondered why bob Robertson doesn't get more consideration among the better Pirates 1st basemen. Historically though, they never had long-term answers at the position. Donn Clendenon seems to be forgotten a lot, as does Dick Stuart.

Catcher? Sanguillen over Kendall any day. There's always Green Weenies favorite, Jim Pagliaroni (I always liked him too). You could consider Ed Ott among the better ones, and Mike Lavalliere.

Who did they have at 3rd base after Traynor? Hoak?, Elliott? Hebner? Madlock?
WildwoodDave

Post by WildwoodDave »

153E29265F0 wrote: Some of you might have seen this. The MLB has been running this. They are showing the top 5. For instance, Jason Kendall was voted their top catcher. Manny Sanguillen #2 Tony Pena #3 and Smokey Burgess #5 Never heard of the other one.

I guess it was close between Stargell and Jaso.  ;) I would rate Sanguillen over Kendall.

interestingly, Stargell didn't make the full time move to 1st base until 1975. I've read about the others, but I've often wondered why bob Robertson doesn't get more consideration among the better Pirates 1st basemen. Historically though, they never had long-term answers at the position. Donn Clendenon seems to be forgotten a lot, as does Dick Stuart.

Catcher? Sanguillen over Kendall any day. There's always Green Weenies favorite, Jim Pagliaroni (I always liked him too). You could consider Ed Ott among the better ones, and Mike Lavalliere.

They are only doing one position at a time- I have only seen catcher and First- will keep you posted
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

03283F30490 wrote: Some of you might have seen this. The MLB has been running this. They are showing the top 5. For instance, Jason Kendall was voted their top catcher. Manny Sanguillen #2 Tony Pena #3 and Smokey Burgess #5 Never heard of the other one.

First base, along with right field and third base, have especially been big problems for the Pirates in recent years going back to 1993. It shouldn't come as a surprise since those are power positions, and that's around the time when the price of free agents had the franchise curl up in the corner.  Kevin Young had a decent year or two, and then seemed to lose his interest.  Adam LaRoche barely made an impact.  Derek Bell and Raul Mondesi were supposed to help but neither of those guys can ever show their face in this city.  Polanco has been terribly inconsistent and can't stay on the field.  Aramis Ramirez was gone before he started to do real damage.  And Pedro Alvarez had one good season.  It hasn't been pretty.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

674C5B542D0 wrote: Some of you might have seen this. The MLB has been running this. They are showing the top 5. For instance, Jason Kendall was voted their top catcher. Manny Sanguillen #2 Tony Pena #3 and Smokey Burgess #5 Never heard of the other one.

It always bugged me that Stargell didn't make Sporting News Major League All Star team at end of 1973 season. He played mostly first in 1972. Players voted for Sporting News team if I remembered correctly and a lot of them voted for him at first base even though in 1973 he only played the outfield.
shedman

Post by shedman »

Top GM's in descending order:

Barney Dreyfuss

Joe L. Brown

Larry Doughty

Ted Simmons

Near the bottom in descending order are:

Dave Littlefield

Neal Huntington

The jury is out on Ben Cherington but he looks like a Huntington clone.
WildwoodDave

Post by WildwoodDave »

3E687E6A657F6F64697E4C6B616D6560226F0C0 wrote: Some of you might have seen this. The MLB has been running this. They are showing the top 5. For instance, Jason Kendall was voted their top catcher. Manny Sanguillen #2 Tony Pena #3 and Smokey Burgess #5 Never heard of the other one.

First base, along with right field and third base, have especially been big problems for the Pirates in recent years going back to 1993. It shouldn't come as a surprise since those are power positions, and that's around the time when the price of free agents had the franchise curl up in the corner.  Kevin Young had a decent year or two, and then seemed to lose his interest.  Adam LaRoche barely made an impact.  Derek Bell and Raul Mondesi were supposed to help but neither of those guys can ever show their face in this city.  Polanco has been terribly inconsistent and can't stay on the field.  Aramis Ramirez was gone before he started to do real damage.  And Pedro Alvarez had one good season.  It hasn't been pretty.
Derek Bell what a fiasco- If I recall, "Operation Shutdown". Is that correct?