Virus Fallout

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

INbuc

Virus Fallout

Post by INbuc »

If the Coronavirus delays the start of the season long enough--- or for the entire season-- I wonder how many minor leaguers simply "retire"?   For many players, the minor league life style is economically unsustainable over a number of years, and delays the the start of non-baseball career.

It appears most minor leaguers have been guaranteed pay through at least the end of May.   However, with the specter of potentially not playing for another year, I would not be surprised if several hundreds of players decide to just leave the game.  

Combined with the possibility of a limited round draft, a mass retirement could dramatically thin the ranks of talented and experienced minor league players that could impact the game for years to come.

Bobster21

Virus Fallout

Post by Bobster21 »

OTOH, any minor leaguer who believes he can make it to the majors knows he would become instantly wealthy wildly beyond anything he could earn in another occupation. There would probably be some who were at a "now or never" time after more years in the minors than expected who would retire. But I don't think the volume of such players would be great.
mouse

Virus Fallout

Post by mouse »

MLB still plans to reduce the number of minor league teams, and the limited draft this summer seems a step in that direction. I would guess a number of minor league players will be retired whether they want to be or not.
INbuc

Virus Fallout

Post by INbuc »

I have no doubt that mindset has made you a great success in life--you gave the right answer. However, when you are in your mid twenties and you have never made more than $1,600 a month for four months a year, the decision is much is much more dire. God bless those kids. I hope this thing ends and they can keep the dream alive.
Bobster21

Virus Fallout

Post by Bobster21 »

191E322533500 wrote: I have no doubt that mindset has made you a great success in life--you gave the right answer.  However, when you are in your mid twenties and you have never made more than $1,600 a month for four months a year, the decision is much is much more dire.   God bless those kids.  I hope this thing ends and they can keep the dream alive.
I share your hope. I would add that kids in their mid 20s as you indicated who have still not made the majors would be in that "now or never" mode I mentioned as being the most likely to give up on the dream and move on. But I think younger prospects who signed their first pro contract and feel they are on track to become future major leaguers would be less likely to pack it in at the prospect of spending 1 more year than anticipated in the minors. (And I wish I was that great success in life you suggested.) :)
Lecom

Virus Fallout

Post by Lecom »

55574D4B5D380 wrote: MLB still plans to reduce the number of minor league teams, and the limited draft this summer seems a step in that direction. I would guess a number of minor league players will be retired whether they want to be or not.

I feel sorry for the small towns and cities that will lose their minor league teams after making investments in their communities to accommodate them. I think in the long view it will hurt MLB .
GreenWeenie

Virus Fallout

Post by GreenWeenie »

6A4345494B260 wrote: MLB still plans to reduce the number of minor league teams, and the limited draft this summer seems a step in that direction. I would guess a number of minor league players will be retired whether they want to be or not.

I feel sorry for the small towns and cities that will lose their minor league teams after making investments in their communities to accommodate them. I think in the long view it will hurt MLB .

Hell's bells.

I'm a PIRATES fan.

Been 41 YEARS since I've felt bad for ANYbody.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Virus Fallout

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

4D64626E6C010 wrote: MLB still plans to reduce the number of minor league teams, and the limited draft this summer seems a step in that direction. I would guess a number of minor league players will be retired whether they want to be or not.

I'm with you, Leccom. Some of those towns have been supporting a team for generations. If I lived in one, and the team was my connection to professional baseball, I'd be pretty angry that I may no longer be able to see that team in the near future. And I'd really feel badly for the young kids, and the ones to follow, who would have the thrill of attending professional games taken from them.

Throughout its history, baseball has shot itself in the foot, and has made decisions that make it seem like it couldn't possibly care any less than it does for the fans. This would be another one.