Possible start to season in May-

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave

Post by WildwoodDave »

I am sure you all heard it or saw it in the paper- All games to be played in Arizona.- NO FANS- your thoughts?
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Hate it I think it’s the dumbest idea ever. What happens if they do this and one person has an outbreak?? Then what do you do?? Plus, the idea of playing these games in empty stadiums in one location in Arizona where it’s gonna be 100 degrees as well everyday is ridiculous.

It’s as ridiculous as the idea of them playing the World Series at a neutral site in LA in December. Either play a shortened season like normal with fans in the stadiums at all ballparks if it’s safe which I don’t think it will be anytime soon or don’t have a season at all. It will suck but life will go on and people will survive. This plan I’ll say it again I think is flat out absurd.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

77504145405D62564140405D240 wrote: Hate it I think it’s the dumbest idea ever. What happens if they do this and one person has an outbreak?? Then what do you do?? Plus, the idea of playing these games in empty stadiums in one location in Arizona where it’s gonna be 100 degrees as well everyday is ridiculous.

It’s as ridiculous as the idea of them playing the World Series at a neutral site in LA in December. Either play a shortened season like normal with fans in the stadiums at all ballparks if it’s safe which I don’t think it will be anytime soon or don’t have a season at all. It will suck but life will go on and people will survive. This plan I’ll say it again I think is flat out absurd.
There's not going to be a perfect answer. They're just looking for anything at this point. If they can make it safe for the players I wouldn't mind having a game to listen to while this is going on.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Pennies is not going to like that. Think of all the tv revenue he loses, the concessions, the souvenirs. He will hardly find an even offset in lost revenue by laying off the stadium staff of groundskeepers, ushers, vendors, security guards, all matter of ticket sales, ticket takers, pierogies, the parrot, just to name a few. One great thing to come out of that would be no Joe Block!
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

43626A436860070 wrote: Pennies is not going to like that.  Think of all the tv revenue he loses, the concessions, the souvenirs.  He will hardly find an even offset in lost revenue by laying off the stadium staff of groundskeepers, ushers, vendors, security guards, all matter of ticket sales, ticket takers, pierogies, the parrot, just to name a few.  One great thing to come out of that would be no Joe Block!
I'm sure he'd like it more than a shortened schedule
shedman

Post by shedman »

24050D240F07600 wrote: Pennies is not going to like that.  Think of all the tv revenue he loses, the concessions, the souvenirs.  He will hardly find an even offset in lost revenue by laying off the stadium staff of groundskeepers, ushers, vendors, security guards, all matter of ticket sales, ticket takers, pierogies, the parrot, just to name a few.  One great thing to come out of that would be no Joe Block!
______

Do you think it could be enough to get him to sell?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Sounds like it's just a plan to get TV revenue for the teams. Great for the Diamondbacks who would never have to travel even for the "road" games. Every other team would have to live in AZ without ever having the comforts of a homestand. Doesn't sound like a good idea but at least it would give me games to watch.
shedman

Post by shedman »

6E434E5F58495E1E1D2C0 wrote: Sounds like it's just a plan to get TV revenue for the teams. Great for the Diamondbacks who would never have to travel even for the "road" games. Every other team would have to live in AZ without ever having the comforts of a homestand. Doesn't sound like a good idea but at least it would give me games to watch.
_____

And the fantasy baseball season could start.
NewMexicoLobo

Post by NewMexicoLobo »

It wouldn't be much more dangerous to be able to have players' families there. It would take more "logistics" but players would be infinitely happier. Families could be "socially distanced" in the stands.

It would work.
PMike

Post by PMike »

According to the metrics I've seen from reliable sources, it is statistically impossible to bring back the number of players and personnel that constitute MLB to AZ and not bring the virus into that circle. So, if they are cool we creating a sub-grouping of people that are more or less insular to themselves and then they assume that he virus will be shared with all of them, I guess let's go for it.

I guess they are going on the assumption that they are all healthy people and that those who may contract the disease will fight it off like a cold/flu/etc. Which is probably true. But there's a lot of older people in baseball. On a morbid note, maybe this is how we get rid of Joe West.

The idea of families seems even sillier. Ok, so they sit in the stands at appropriate distances. Are they using the bathroom? Railings? Touching any other communal spaces? Maybe wives/partners can maintain safe hygiene in public, but you know who can't...children. Children will be rolling all over the place and touching everything. Not to mention "bathroom breaks of boredom." Can you tell I have little children?