May 26, 1959-Haddix 13 inning perfect game.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

A couple youtube accounts. The first features audio of both Bob Prince and "The Possum" Jim Woods.

steve49

Post by steve49 »

Thank you ... good find.

Hearing Bob Prince brings back a lot of memories. I , like all Pirate fans heard a lot about that game. I was 9 years old in 59 and didn't start avidly start following the Pirates until 1960. Thus I don't remember this game when it took place.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7473627162333E070 wrote: Thank you ... good find.

Hearing Bob Prince brings back a lot of memories. I , like all Pirate fans heard a lot about that game. I was 9 years old in 59 and didn't start avidly start following the Pirates until 1960. Thus I don't remember this game when it took place.
Me neither. I was 5 in 1959. I learned about the Haddix game from my father. But one of my early memories is being a kid in Charleroi, PA and walking along my street and every few houses hearing a Pirate game on the radio as many neighbors were sitting on their porches and listening. I suspect that was the 1960 WS since so many people were listening at the same time. My father used to tell me about all the Pirates, current (at that time) and past (as he recalled them). I soaked it up like a sponge. I recall playing whiffle ball in the back yard and each batter had to be Smoky Burgess or Virdon or Maz or whoever. I was hooked and as an adult, I researched all the stuff my father had told me about. I love Bucs history.
WildwoodDave

Post by WildwoodDave »

072A27363120377774450 wrote: Thank you ... good find.

Me neither. I was 5 in 1959. I learned about the Haddix game from my father. But one of my early memories is being a kid in Charleroi, PA and walking along my street and every few houses hearing a Pirate game on the radio as many neighbors were sitting on their porches and listening. I suspect that was the 1960 WS since so many people were listening at the same time. My father used to tell me about all the Pirates, current (at that time) and past (as he recalled them). I soaked it up like a sponge. I recall playing whiffle ball in the back yard and each batter had to be Smoky Burgess or Virdon or Maz or whoever. I was hooked and as an adult, I researched all the stuff my father had told me about. I love Bucs history. 

Thanks Bobster for putting this on. I was 12 at the time and remember listening to it on my transistor which I was hiding under my pillow. Great memory
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

They had baseball when you were 12? ;D
Lecom

Post by Lecom »

735E53424554430300310 wrote: Thank you ... good find.

We have a lot in common!!!!!

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1831373B39540 wrote: Thank you ... good find.

We have a lot in common!!!!!
:)
WildwoodDave

Post by WildwoodDave »

4174636368516363686F63060 wrote: They had baseball when you were 12?     ;D
yep, saw Babe Adams pitch too