Archer finished

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GermanTownship

Archer finished

Post by GermanTownship »

Just heard on 93.7 The Fan, Chris Archer is done. Shoulder problem. What a great trade that was!
Ecbucs

Archer finished

Post by Ecbucs »

42607768646B516A726B766D6C75050 wrote: Just heard on 93.7 The Fan, Chris Archer is done. Shoulder problem. What a great trade that was!

MLB Trade Rumors on this:

The Pirates announced Wednesday that right-hander Chris Archer underwent surgery yesterday to relieve symptoms of thoracic outlet syndrome. The surprising, out-of-the-blue announcement rules Archer out for any games that are played in 2020. He’s expected to be ready for full competition in 2021, per the team’s press release, although his future with the club is far from certain at this point. The Pirates hold an $11MM club option ($250K buyout) over Archer for the 2021 season.

The decision to undergo surgery came after “consulting with several leading vascular and orthopedic surgeons in recent weeks,” according to the Pirates. There were no prior indications of TOS symptoms for Archer, the most frequent of which include numbness in a player’s fingers. TOS, however, has proven quite difficult to actually diagnose in recent years. And unfortunately for Archer and the Pirates, it has proven even more difficult to fully overcome.

The track record of pitchers coming back from TOS surgery, which typically involves the removal (or partial removal) of a rib in order to alleviate pressure on nerves in the shoulder/armpit area. Matt Harvey, Tyler Thornburg, Tyson Ross, Nate Karns, Matt Harrison, Carter Capps, Andrew Triggs and Kyle Zimmer are among the players to have undergone the surgery in recent years. None of that bunch has found much success upon returning. That said, recently retired righty Chris Young attributed TOS surgery to salvaging his career, and we’ve seen other success stories in Chris Carpenter, Jaime Garcia and Clayton Richard. It’s not an insurmountable hill to climb, but a TOS procedure is one of the more ominous arm operations a pitcher can undergo.
NewMexicoLobo

Archer finished

Post by NewMexicoLobo »

And so it continues for the Bucs. Sometimes it seems like if not for bad luck there's no luck at all.
steve49

Archer finished

Post by steve49 »

0C27350F273A2B212D0E2D202D420 wrote: And so it continues for the Bucs. Sometimes it seems like if not for bad luck there's no luck at all.

Yes , it was bad luck trading what could end up to be 3 impact players for a guy on the decline. If Archer wasn't out , they would still stink.
Bobster21

Archer finished

Post by Bobster21 »

The good news is they're only losing a 5 inning, high ERA pitcher when healthy. The bad news is what they gave up to get him.
NewMexicoLobo

Archer finished

Post by NewMexicoLobo »

Looks like Chad Kuhl may now win a spot in the rotation. He should be OK in a short season.
GermanTownship

Archer finished

Post by GermanTownship »

Tampa should send Hunnington a fruit basket thanking him. I admit that I am no expert when evaluating talent. But, I could even see that we gave up way, way too much in the deal when it was made.

That trade, and the Aramis Ramirez trade will go down as two of the worst trades in major league history. As the great Myron Cope used to say, "Yoy and Double Yoy."
fjk090852-7

Archer finished

Post by fjk090852-7 »

He is probably finished with his career in Pittsburgh. I would doubt the Bucs pick up his option this winter. They will probably pay the buyout, and let him become a free agent.
CarolinaBucco

Archer finished

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I actually thought Archer for Glasnow was a relatively fair trade.

Throwing in Meadows made it hurt but I could sort of justify it as a team "going for it" and throwing in all of its chips.

But when the PTBNL was a former No. 1 pick and a potential No. 1 starter who throws 99 mph ... well that put this trade in Aramis Ramirez territory and made me physically ill.
Bobster21

Archer finished

Post by Bobster21 »

4D6F7C616267606F4C7B6D6D610E0 wrote: I actually thought Archer for Glasnow was a relatively fair trade.

Throwing in Meadows made it hurt but I could sort of justify it as a team "going for it" and throwing in all of its chips.

But when the PTBNL was a former No. 1 pick and a potential No. 1 starter who throws 99 mph ... well that put this trade in Aramis Ramirez territory and made me physically ill.
As awful as the Ramirez/Lofton trade was, it was made for financial reasons. The Pirates were non compliant with MLB rules on revenue vs payroll and had to immediately dump salary without adding much salary in the trade. They worked out a trade of Kris Benson to Atl and at the last minute he hurt his arm. Benson was making 4.3 million. So they turned to the Cubs. Ramirez was getting 3 million and Lofton 1.025 million. They got back 2 rookies (1 was immediately released) and Jose Hernandez making 1 million. Terrible deal. Littlefield had to be able to work the phones and give teams a chance to get Ramirez and Lofton for a better package than Hernandez, Hill and Bruback. Just a few decent prospects would have been a better deal. But it looked like he didn't care what the return was as long as he saved money.

Huntington wasn't under pressure to cut salary. He took on more than he gave away. He actually thought the talent for talent trade of a declining veteran for 3 top prospects was fair. That's the scary part. Total incompetence.