Bobby Bo Day

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

mouse

Bobby Bo Day

Post by mouse »

It's that day again. You gotta love it. You can bet Nutting wouldn't give out this sort of contract.
GreenWeenie

Bobby Bo Day

Post by GreenWeenie »

You can bet a lot more about BOB.

He will never pay for that level of talent.
skinnyhorse

Bobby Bo Day

Post by skinnyhorse »

4D786F6F645D6F6F64636F0A0 wrote: You can bet a lot more about BOB.

This kind of talk help us give away Glasnow, Meadows, for that infamous great pitcher Chris Archer.  It was almost like if they didn't make a move they were going to get called such awful names by fans calling them cheap that NH and BN were willing to do anything.  Hope Cherington is stronger than NH and will walk away from stupid stuff no matter how much pressure from fans and media.  May be wrong but it can't help by fans constantly complaining about how cheap the organization is.  I'm not one who subscribes to spending more money is the only answer.  I believe it's better to spend money wisely and not like a drunken sailor to achieve success.  It's obvious NH was worse than drunk when he made that deal.  Most of the free agents I see are over priced, that's why there free agents, duh.  I want to see good draft picks, timely call ups, and trades that help the organization.  I had no problem with the trade of Marte, the guy was just a head case with worlds of talent.  Glasnow was mishandled from the get go by a awful NH, and CH.  Instead of giving him a chance to succeed they broke him down mentally just awful.  I wrote about it while it was happening, it was easy to see from where I sit.  The way they were handling Chad Kuhl was awful, I wrote about that, saying I hoped his dad would talk to him about how drastically he had changed his pitching style, it was putting to much pressure on his arm, sadly no one stopped what was obviously going to happen.  The way they handled Meadows was atrocious he was tearing it up but then a non productive regular returned from the injured list and he was benched.  These are just a few of the not so smart baseball under CH, NH, and FC.  I'm a long time baseball fan whose not just doing 20/20 hindsight, I wrote about these things while they were happening.  I watch religiously and I'm no genius just a sincere fan who loved the Pirates from the first time I saw Clemente play.

Spending money wasn't the answer to any of few problems I just outlined it was about competent baseball management.  I hope that's what Cherington brings to the Pirates and only time will tell. 
Bobster21

Bobby Bo Day

Post by Bobster21 »

332B292E2E39282F323325400 wrote: You can bet a lot more about BOB.

This kind of talk help us give away Glasnow, Meadows, for that infamous great pitcher Chris Archer.  It was almost like if they didn't make a move they were going to get called such awful names by fans calling them cheap that NH and BN were willing to do anything.  Hope Cherington is stronger than NH and will walk away from stupid stuff no matter how much pressure from fans and media.  May be wrong but it can't help by fans constantly complaining about how cheap the organization is.  I'm not one who subscribes to spending more money is the only answer.  I believe it's better to spend money wisely and not like a drunken sailor to achieve success.  It's obvious NH was worse than drunk when he made that deal.  Most of the free agents I see are over priced, that's why there free agents, duh.  I want to see good draft picks, timely call ups, and trades that help the organization.  I had no problem with the trade of Marte, the guy was just a head case with worlds of talent.  Glasnow was mishandled from the get go by a awful NH, and CH.  Instead of giving him a chance to succeed they broke him down mentally just awful.  I wrote about it while it was happening, it was easy to see from where I sit.  The way they were handling Chad Kuhl was awful, I wrote about that, saying I hoped his dad would talk to him about how drastically he had changed his pitching style, it was putting to much pressure on his arm, sadly no one stopped what was obviously going to happen.  The way they handled Meadows was atrocious he was tearing it up but then a non productive regular returned from the injured list and he was benched.  These are just a few of the not so smart baseball under CH, NH, and FC.  I'm a long time baseball fan whose not just doing 20/20 hindsight, I wrote about these things while they were happening.  I watch religiously and I'm no genius just a sincere fan who loved the Pirates from the first time I saw Clemente play.

Spending money wasn't the answer to any of few problems I just outlined it was about competent baseball management.  I hope that's what Cherington brings to the Pirates and only time will tell. 
Well said, Skinny. Obviously the Pirates are cheap. We can't change that and we don't need a reminder every 5 minutes. But that's only part of the problem. Poor trades, poor talent evaluation, poor development have crushed them when they had talent like Meadows and Glasnow. It was so frustrating seeing them apparently trying to cool Meadows off so they could justify sending him back to AAA. One thing every player agrees on is that the more they play the easier it gets. Meadows was tearing it up and the Bucs brass needed an excuse to option him both to play Polanco and to avoid Super 2 status. He was hitting .295 with 8 2Bs, 2 3Bs, 5 HRs and 13 RBIs when benched. But, heaven forbid, he had 2 straight hitless games so he sat on the bench for 8 of the next 10 games getting just 4 singles in 15 ABs (.267) and no RBIs. Eureka!, the brass had their excuse to option him. And then trade him for a pitcher who hadn't been good for 3 years and was in the midst of his worst career year. Poor player evaluation (Archer). Poor player development (Meadows, Glasnow). Even when they manage to acquire talented prospects they mess it up when money isn't even an issue.
Ecbucs

Bobby Bo Day

Post by Ecbucs »

0F222F3E39283F7F7C4D0 wrote: You can bet a lot more about BOB.

Well said, Skinny. Obviously the Pirates are cheap. We can't change that and we don't need a reminder every 5 minutes. But that's only part of the problem. Poor trades, poor talent evaluation, poor development have crushed them when they had talent like Meadows and Glasnow. It was so frustrating seeing them apparently trying to cool Meadows off so they could justify sending him back to AAA. One thing every player agrees on is that the more they play the easier it gets. Meadows was tearing it up and the Bucs brass needed an excuse to option him both to play Polanco and to avoid Super 2 status. He was hitting .295 with 8 2Bs, 2 3Bs, 5 HRs and 13 RBIs when benched. But, heaven forbid, he had 2 straight hitless games so he sat on the bench for 8 of the next 10 games getting just 4 singles in 15 ABs (.267) and no RBIs. Eureka!, the brass had their excuse to option him. And then trade him for a pitcher who hadn't been good for 3 years and was in the midst of his worst career year. Poor player evaluation (Archer). Poor player development (Meadows, Glasnow). Even when they manage to acquire talented prospects they mess it up when money isn't even an issue.   

yeah, if the Pirates aren't going to pay for players they should be at the top at paying for GM, scouts, player development. That is only way to get the bang for the buck.
GreenWeenie

Bobby Bo Day

Post by GreenWeenie »

5D454740405746415C5D4B2E0 wrote: You can bet a lot more about BOB.

If Huntington made that- or any other decision- based on "fan pressure," then he would have deserved to lose his job long before he did.

It was the result of poor evaluation, cut and dry.

Nobody that I'm aware of said it about LittleYield's Morris move.

The Pirates organization IS cheap.  It has been incompetent.  There is no getting around that.

And, we're seeing the result.

JollyRoger

Bobby Bo Day

Post by JollyRoger »

1B2E3939320B39393235395C0 wrote: You can bet a lot more about BOB.

If Huntington made that- or any other decision- based on "fan pressure," then he would have deserved to lose his job long before he did.

The Pirates organization IS cheap.  It has been incompetent.  There is no getting around that.

I agree about mishandling Glasnow. I am also hopeful that the 2 prospects received for Marte will will develop into core players.

Meadows was mishandled as well but that was again a financial decision to not start the super 2 clock. I don’t care how much you blame poor talent evaluation, mishandling of players, in game decisions, yes those are all part of the equation. But the BIGGEST part of the equation which makes the other factors important, is running the organization on a shoe string budget. It is beyond deplorable that the Pirates will have a team payroll that is 50% of the ML average. Until they are willing to pay for an average ML payroll the only chance they will ever have is if they catch lightening in a bottle and I don’t like those odds.
skinnyhorse

Bobby Bo Day

Post by skinnyhorse »

280D0E0E1B300D050710620 wrote: You can bet a lot more about BOB.

I agree about mishandling Glasnow. I am also hopeful that the 2 prospects received for Marte will will develop into core players.

Meadows was mishandled as well but that was again a financial decision to not start the super 2 clock. I don’t care how much you blame poor talent evaluation, mishandling of players, in game decisions, yes those are all part of the equation. But the BIGGEST part of the equation which makes the other factors important, is running the organization on a shoe string budget. It is beyond deplorable that the Pirates will have a team payroll that is 50% of the ML average. Until they are willing to pay for an average ML payroll the only chance they will ever have is if they catch lightening in a bottle and I don’t like those odds.
Probably true that Meadows Super 2 clock was a factor but I think it was more how stupid CH was about playing veterans ahead of rookies no matter how poor the vets are playing. Further if was all about money why did they take on Archer contract ahead of keeping Glasnow and Meadows. If it was only about money that theory doesn't work period. No one really knows but I do know that CH development of players was awful the longer he was with the Pirates. He was all about veterans many unproductive or with no long term benefit to the Pirates. His last three years were just awful. He obviously had a stud in Cole and he got almost nothing out of him, now how do you do something like that. If Cole couldn't succeed within the Pirates system then who could and it's obvious their's a problem with management that had nothing to do with money the years he was with the Pirates. If I was running the show I'd try my darnest to sign Musgrove, and Williams to long term contracts. Musgrove is a fierce competitor and so is Williams. If BN wants to show it's not just about money he would spend money on these guys, instead of wasting money on the disaster Archer.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Bobby Bo Day

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

For me, under Coonelly, Huntington, and Hurdle, it was the chicken and the egg conundrum. Were they bad at identifying amateur talent or were they bad at developing players? The answer is, they were bad at both. But making it worse was that each decision made regarding their players started with, and centered on, money. That's because of the one guy still here: Nutting. It crippled them then, and it'll continue to for as long as he owns the team. That's the way it is when profit, rather than winning, is the motive.
Bobster21

Bobby Bo Day

Post by Bobster21 »

3B6D7B6F607A6A616C7B496E64686065276A090 wrote: For me, under Coonelly, Huntington, and Hurdle, it was the chicken and the egg conundrum.  Were they bad at identifying amateur talent or were they bad at developing players?  The answer is, they were bad at both.  But making it worse was that each decision made regarding their players started with, and centered on, money.  That's because of the one guy still here:  Nutting.  It crippled them then, and it'll continue to for as long as he owns the team.  That's the way it is when profit, rather than winning, is the motive.
Drafting and developing should not be dependent on money. In was, however, with Tony Sanchez. It wasn't with Alvarez, Cole, Meadows and Glasnow. But they overrated Alvarez, underrated Meadows and poorly developed Cole and Glasnow. They also failed to develop Morton. Basically, anything they could do wrong they did do wrong.