Should Rob Manfred Be Replaced

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Due to these negotiations to attempt to get a baseball season started, I think many people are beginning to believe MLB needs a new commissioner. I know the owners pay his salary, but I believe he is losing credibility daily. In my opinion I don’t think he is the right person to attempt to broker a new agreement with the Players Union after the 2021 season. I admit Baseball needs some type of financial balance, as well as some game changes, such as expanded playoffs, but I don’t believe Rob is the person who can bring about these changes because the Union does not trust him because of these negotiations during the pandemic.
Javy

Post by Javy »

I don't know how much influence the Commissioner has in the negotiating process, just due to the fact that a lawyer like Frank Coonelly was always involved in the labor side of MLB.

Bowie Kuhn, Peter Ueberroth, Bart Giamatti and Fay Vincent were never directly involved. Even Selig was hands off (that's why he had Forgettable Frank), but part of that is because he WAS an owner in the early part of his reign before he 'sold' his interest to his daughter.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

IMO he is just the mouthpiece of the owners and replacing him won't really change anything.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

7F4D41415567444D40454A4D2C0 wrote: IMO he is just the mouthpiece of the owners and replacing him won't really change anything. 
You are correct, but if there is no agreement to play baseball this season his legacy as a commissioner will not be very good.
WildwoodDave

Post by WildwoodDave »

586A66667240636A67626D6A0B0 wrote: IMO he is just the mouthpiece of the owners and replacing him won't really change anything. 
First he said that he was 100% sure that there would be a season, only now to say there might not be a season at all. The latter statement seems like Manfred talking for the owners,
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

5E5253080108000D0A150F380 wrote: Due to these negotiations to attempt to get a baseball season started, I think many people are beginning to believe MLB needs a new commissioner. I know the owners pay his salary, but I believe he is losing credibility daily. In my opinion I don’t think he is the right person to attempt to broker a new agreement with the Players Union after the 2021 season. I admit Baseball needs some type of financial balance, as well as some game changes, such as expanded playoffs, but I don’t believe Rob is the person who can bring about these changes because the Union does not trust him because of these negotiations during the pandemic.

Hell yes! Replace him with BOB, and my dream will come true.
WildwoodDave

Post by WildwoodDave »

2F2322797079717C7B647E490 wrote: IMO he is just the mouthpiece of the owners and replacing him won't really change anything. 
You are correct, but if there is no agreement to play baseball this season his legacy as a commissioner will not be very good.
he is not very good, period
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

6A5451594A525259795C4B583D0 wrote: IMO he is just the mouthpiece of the owners and replacing him won't really change anything. 

Faye Vincent has been best commissioner in at least last 50 or 60 years. Being good kept him from being in the job very long.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5B7D7C6B7D6D1E0 wrote: IMO he is just the mouthpiece of the owners and replacing him won't really change anything. 

Faye Vincent has been best commissioner in at least last 50 or 60 years.  Being good kept him from being in the job very long.
Agreed! I've never liked Manfred. He doesn't seem to care about the actual game. He's very quick to want to make changes to the way the game has always been played. His only connection to the sport has been in the legal and economic side. So I don't think he appreciates the game or its history. There's nothing he wouldn't be willing to change because the game of baseball itself has no meaning to him. He sees it purely from an administrative, legal and financial aspect.

He has presided over limiting mound visits, the minor league rule of placing a runner on 2B to start extra innings, the 3 batter minimum rule for relievers and I'm sure he wants the DH in the NL and can't understand why any NL fans would be against changing the game they've loved forever. He seems like someone who would walk into your house for the first time and immediately rearrange the furniture with no regard for why you had it the way you did.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

5F727F6E69786F2F2C1D0 wrote: IMO he is just the mouthpiece of the owners and replacing him won't really change anything. 

Faye Vincent has been best commissioner in at least last 50 or 60 years.  Being good kept him from being in the job very long.
Agreed! I've never liked Manfred. He doesn't seem to care about the actual game. He's very quick to want to make changes to the way the game has always been played. His only connection to the sport has been in the legal and economic side. So I don't think he appreciates the game or its history. There's nothing he wouldn't be willing to change because the game of baseball itself has no meaning to him. He sees it purely from an administrative, legal and financial aspect.

He has presided over limiting mound visits, the minor league rule of placing a runner on 2B to start extra innings, the 3 batter minimum rule for relievers and I'm sure he wants the DH in the NL and can't understand why any NL fans would be against changing the game they've loved forever. He seems like someone who would walk into your house for the first time and immediately rearrange the furniture with no regard for why you had it the way you did.

For a minute there I thought you were talking about Frank Coonelly.