Pirates pick Gonzales

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Lecom

Pirates pick Gonzales

Post by Lecom »

FWIIW thinking this is a so so pick . Questions surface about his true upside . Guess we will see.
JulianJay

Pirates pick Gonzales

Post by JulianJay »

what questions? Most of what little I've read describes him as average to good [not great or very good] defensively and will likely play 2B [not enough range]. But everythind I've read is he can hit and one guy likens him to Hiura [spelling ??]
Lecom

Pirates pick Gonzales

Post by Lecom »

6A554C49414E6A4159200 wrote: what questions? Most of what little I've read describes him as average to good [not great or very good] defensively and will likely play 2B [not enough range]. But everythind I've read is he can hit and one guy likens him to Hiura [spelling ??]

The concerns center around "his exit velocities were more pedestrian than one might suspect, leading some evaluators to believe his power potential (and the validity of comparisons to Milwaukee Brewer's second baseman Keston Hiura) is overstated. A data-driven team might find it hard to justify popping Gonzales so early, lest they end up with a singles-hitting second baseman who isn't a threat to run or win a Gold Glove". Obviously I hope they are wrong . I liked Detmers better but that is only my opinion.
fjk090852-7

Pirates pick Gonzales

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Looks like the team of the future is starting to materialize. Hayes at third, Peguaro at shortstop, Gonzalez at second, Cruz in the outfield or at first, Swaggerty in centerfield, Reynolds in left. They definitely need a catcher, and then another player to play the position which Cruz doesn’t play.
Ecbucs

Pirates pick Gonzales

Post by Ecbucs »

624B4D41432E0 wrote: what questions? Most of what little I've read describes him as average to good [not great or very good] defensively and will likely play 2B [not enough range]. But everythind I've read is he can hit and one guy likens him to Hiura [spelling ??]

The concerns center around "his exit velocities were more pedestrian than one might suspect, leading some evaluators to believe his power potential (and the validity of comparisons to Milwaukee Brewer's second baseman Keston Hiura) is overstated. A data-driven team might find it hard to justify popping Gonzales so early, lest they end up with a singles-hitting second baseman who isn't a threat to run or win a Gold Glove". Obviously I hope they are wrong . I liked Detmers better but that is only my opinion.

my hope is that he hits like Anthony Rendon.
Ecbucs

Pirates pick Gonzales

Post by Ecbucs »

second pick: Carmen Mlodzinski, RHP, South Carolina

Royals site has this:

Mlodzinski is a guy who pounds the strike zone, is ahead of almost every hitter he faces even in the SEC, and has a multitude of ways to put hitters away. He generates ground balls at a high rate and seems to have a personality that will succeed in any situation.

If the Royals take him, Mlodzinski slots into a group of very talented future starting pitchers. He isn’t going to be the top of the list, but he will be right there in discussion with all of those guys. You can make an argument for him versus every pitching prospect in the Royals system. At the very beginning of the college season, everyone had him as a top 10 pick. Now, Perfect Game mocked him to the Braves at 25th overall and Baseball America has him dropping out of the first round completely. If Mlodzinski is there at 32, the Royals need to take him. This type of innings eating NCAA starter will be very valuable in pro ball and seems to be currently overlooked by people dreaming of 99 percentile upside on uber athletes. If Mlodzinski can just reach 75 percent of his potential, you have a 180 inning guy at the MLB level. This seems to have become an expected floor versus obscene upside argument. To me with your second pick, you should take the solid MLB guy if you know he is there.

https://royalsfarmreport.com/2020/05/13 ... lodzinski/
IABucFan

Pirates pick Gonzales

Post by IABucFan »

I totally forgot about the draft tonight. Shows how little I miss baseball. I love it, but I don't miss it, if that makes sense.
IABucFan

Pirates pick Gonzales

Post by IABucFan »

Well, I searched YouTube for both of these players, as I've never heard of either as I don't really follow amateur baseball. Both look like solid picks. Mlodzinski looks like a potential steal. Some were saying he could have been a top 10 pick, still rated #21 overall that fell to us at #31. MLB.com had Gonzalez being the #5 prospect in the draft. Both were best available when they were selected. I'm kind of hoping Dillon Dingler is still sitting there when we pick in the second round. Again, I've never heard of him before tonight, but CTBucco in another thread apparently has. Our system is a black hole for catchers. He could slide in quite nicely.
JollyRoger

Pirates pick Gonzales

Post by JollyRoger »

5B5350677154737C120 wrote: Well, I searched YouTube for both of these players, as I've never heard of either as I don't really follow amateur baseball. Both look like solid picks. Mlodzinski looks like a potential steal. Some were saying he could have been a top 10 pick, still rated #21 overall that fell to us at #31. MLB.com had Gonzalez being the #5 prospect in the draft. Both were best available when they were selected. I'm kind of hoping Dillon Dingler is still sitting there when we pick in the second round. Again, I've never heard of him before tonight, but CTBucco in another thread apparently has. Our system is a black hole for catchers. He could slide in quite nicely.
Agree completely. Both picks fell to the Bucs and we picked the best available talent. Solid choices. I also agree about getting the catcher Dingler if he falls to us at 44
IABucFan

Pirates pick Gonzales

Post by IABucFan »

Watching some highlights of Mlodzinski, I see future closer. ESPN said “mid rotation starter.” Maybe. He looks like a great backend bullpen guy with good heat and a good slider.