My first game(s) at TRS

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

My first game(s) at TRS

Post by JollyRoger »

49 years ago today on July 18 1971 we were back in the Burgh and had tickets for the Dodger/Pirate DH that day.

I will never forget that day and those games. Seeing TRS for the first time I thought it was the 8th wonder of the world with the huge scoreboard in CF. I can’t believe now that I thought it was better than Dodger Stadium.

The games were classic. In the first games after the Dodgers tied it in the 9th, the Bucs scored in the bottom of the 9th to win the game. If that wasn’t exiting enough the 2nd game was.

Luke Walker carried a no hitter into the 9th.

Unfortunately Joe Ferguson a journey man Catcher hit a lead off HR to ruin the no hitter and the shut out. Pirates won 7-1 before 48,000 fans. What a day. What a team!

TRS as a cookie cutter stadium became outdated quickly. However now we have the best ballpark in baseball in PNC!!

I’ve been to 24 of the 30 ML parks and PNC is #1.

Hard to believe that Dodger Stadium is now the 3rd oldest in ML baseball.
2drfischer@gmail.c

My first game(s) at TRS

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

694C4F4F5A714C444651230 wrote: 49 years ago today on July 18 1971 we were back in the Burgh and had tickets for the Dodger/Pirate DH that day.

I will never forget that day and those games. Seeing TRS for the first time I thought it was the 8th wonder of the world with the huge scoreboard in CF. I can’t believe now that I thought it was better than Dodger Stadium.

The games were classic. In the first games after the Dodgers tied it in the 9th, the Bucs scored in the bottom of the 9th to win the game. If that wasn’t exiting enough the 2nd game was.

Luke Walker carried a no hitter into the 9th.

Unfortunately Joe Ferguson a journey man Catcher hit a lead off HR to ruin the no hitter and the shut out. Pirates won 7-1 before 48,000 fans. What a day. What a team!

TRS as a cookie cutter stadium became outdated quickly. However now we have the best ballpark in baseball in PNC!!

I’ve been to 24 of the 30 ML parks and PNC is #1.

Hard to believe that Dodger Stadium is now the 3rd oldest in ML baseball.

I distinctly remember my last game at Forbes Field but have no recollection of my first game at 3Rivers. It was a very forgettable baseball park. It felt like what it must be like to sit in a toilet bowl.

Walking into PNC Park for the first time is still etched in my mind. My first view of the field came as we walked up the lower ramp of the Rotundra. The scene was heaven. What a difference from 3Rivers.