Polanco out

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave

Polanco out

Post by WildwoodDave »

Just read where Polanco has been a no show at practice. Does anyone know the reason? I remember about three years ago that Green Weenie

said that Polanco was a bust. Was one of the few times that Weenie was

right about anything :D
GreenWeenie

Polanco out

Post by GreenWeenie »

Seeing what he has, I guess.
Bobster21

Polanco out

Post by Bobster21 »

I agree that Polanco is a bust. He was touted as an excellent offensive and defensive prospect. But after 6 years he's never hit better than .258, he's poor defensively and a bad base runner. And he's never hit more than 23 HRs. Another example of how the organization either exaggerates the potential of their prospects or fails to develop them to reach their potential.
GreenWeenie

Polanco out

Post by GreenWeenie »

I dont recall writing that Polanco was a bust, but, who knows? Some Yinzers think every guy's the second coming of Willie Mays or Sandy Koufax.

More likely, I said that he is nothing special; run-of-the mill.

We supposedly had The Best Outfield in the Majors.

To think that this Polanco guy is the only remaining starter position player from our better years should tell you all you need to know about our fate.

And, Cherington watches the boats sail by.....
Bobster21

Polanco out

Post by Bobster21 »

586D7A7A71487A7A71767A1F0 wrote: I dont recall writing that Polanco was a bust, but, who knows?  Some Yinzers think every guy's the second coming of Willie Mays or Sandy Koufax.

To think that this Polanco guy is the only remaining starter position player from our better years should tell you all you need to know about our fate.

I wouldn't disagree with "nothing special" or "run of the mill." But he was hyped so much ("dream outfield') that he feels like a bust. At least he's a consistent .250ish hitter instead of even worse. But even before the shoulder injury he turned many a fly ball into an adventure in RF. And he's made too many head scratching mistakes on the bases. He was supposed to be a third of a dream OF. But an OF of 3 Polancos would be a disaster.
NJBucsFan

Polanco out

Post by NJBucsFan »

Confirming it was Covid. Oy vey. We're down to one major league outfielder.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/07/ ... virus.html
2drfischer@gmail.c

Polanco out

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

I don't think any of us should be surprised. If something bad is going to happen, it'll happen to Polanco.

I've never warmed up to him as a player. He's been terribly inconsistent, is not above average in any aspect of the game (except for his throwing arm prior to the injury), and is especially wanting in understanding what's going on in many situations. For me, the sooner he's wearing another uniform the better it'll be for the Pittsburgh Pirates.
GreenWeenie

Polanco out

Post by GreenWeenie »

193439282F3E29696A5B0 wrote: I dont recall writing that Polanco was a bust, but, who knows?  Some Yinzers think every guy's the second coming of Willie Mays or Sandy Koufax.

I wouldn't disagree with "nothing special" or "run of the mill." But he was hyped so much ("dream outfield') that he feels like a bust. At least he's a consistent .250ish hitter instead of even worse. But even before the shoulder injury he turned many a fly ball into an adventure in RF. And he's made too many head scratching mistakes on the bases. He was supposed to be a third of a dream OF. But an OF of 3 Polancos would be a disaster. 

I have been accused so often of being overly harsh. No idea why that is. So, I dialed it down some.
shedman

Polanco out

Post by shedman »

073225252E1725252E2925400 wrote: I dont recall writing that Polanco was a bust, but, who knows?  Some Yinzers think every guy's the second coming of Willie Mays or Sandy Koufax.

I have been accused so often of being overly harsh.  No idea why that is.  So, I dialed it down some.

_____

Dial it down if you like, but don't you turn into a Cherington apologist too!!!
SCBucco

Polanco out

Post by SCBucco »

Polanco is the Pirates version of Beau Bennett.