3. Josh Bell (S) 1B

4. Colin Moran (L) DH

5. Bryan Reynolds (S) LF

6. Gregory Polanco (L) RF

7. Erik Gonzalez (R) 3B

8. Cole Tucker (S) CF

9. Jacob Stallings (R) C

Trevor Williams (R) SP

Geez, Louise! Eric Gonzalez does have something on Shelty! Any good investigative journalists on this site who can figure out what it is?

Is anybody going to watch it? Me, I don't know, depends on what Mrs. Possum has planned for the tv this evening?
Bobster21

Game Thread - August 5 - Bucs vs Twinkies

Post by Bobster21 »

I wasn't a fan of starting Gonzalez yesterday but after getting 3 hits, I think you have to play him today if the goal is to utilize the roster to give the team the best chance of winning the game. OTOH, if the goal is to look at and evaluate players, which it often seems to be, then there's no reason to keep running Gonzalez out there and never letting Tucker play SS. They signed Dyson to play CF this year well aware of his hitting problems. If Tucker was the CFer of the future they didn't need Dyson for a year. So why is Tucker wasting time in CF and never playing SS? Why did Newman move to 2B just for 1 game instead of putting Gonzalez there if he is their utility infielder? But since they already did that, why not leave him there again tonight and put Tucker at SS if they want Gonzalez at 3B? But they're trying to evaluate players while trying to win. You can't do both and when you try that, you don't do either. They're losing every game and still not evaluating Tucker at SS.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

416C61707766713132030 wrote: I wasn't a fan of starting Gonzalez yesterday but after getting 3 hits, I think you have to play him today if the goal is to utilize the roster to give the team the best chance of winning the game. OTOH, if the goal is to look at and evaluate players, which it often seems to be, then there's no reason to keep running Gonzalez out there and never letting Tucker play SS. They signed Dyson to play CF this year well aware of his hitting problems. If Tucker was the CFer of the future they didn't need Dyson for a year. So why is Tucker wasting time in CF and never playing SS? Why did Newman move to 2B just for 1 game instead of putting Gonzalez there if he is their utility infielder? But since they already did that, why not leave him there again tonight and put Tucker at SS if they want Gonzalez at 3B? But they're trying to evaluate players while trying to win. You can't do both and when you try that, you don't do either. They're losing every game and still not evaluating Tucker at SS.

Tucker's athleticism allows them to evaluate him in the OF not so much for his defense there but to simply get his bat in the lineup and see if he can hit for anything. In addition, they have Evans around to play 3B if Hayes sits in Altoona. So why not play Evans more to get a good evaluation on him?

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6D4C446D464E290 wrote: I wasn't a fan of starting Gonzalez yesterday but after getting 3 hits, I think you have to play him today if the goal is to utilize the roster to give the team the best chance of winning the game. OTOH, if the goal is to look at and evaluate players, which it often seems to be, then there's no reason to keep running Gonzalez out there and never letting Tucker play SS. They signed Dyson to play CF this year well aware of his hitting problems. If Tucker was the CFer of the future they didn't need Dyson for a year. So why is Tucker wasting time in CF and never playing SS? Why did Newman move to 2B just for 1 game instead of putting Gonzalez there if he is their utility infielder? But since they already did that, why not leave him there again tonight and put Tucker at SS if they want Gonzalez at 3B? But they're trying to evaluate players while trying to win. You can't do both and when you try that, you don't do either. They're losing every game and still not evaluating Tucker at SS.

Tucker's athleticism allows them to evaluate him in the OF not so much for his defense there but to simply get his bat in the lineup and see if he can hit for anything.  In addition, they have Evans around to play 3B if Hayes sits in Altoona.  So why not play Evans more to get a good evaluation on him?

That works too. It goes back to their inconsistency of whether they're trying to win or just trying to evaluate. It doesn't seem they know what they are doing.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

5A7B735A71791E0 wrote: 1. Adam Frazier (L) 2B

2. Kevin Newman (R) SS

3. Josh Bell (S) 1B

4. Colin Moran (L) DH

5. Bryan Reynolds (S) LF

6. Gregory Polanco (L) RF

7. Erik Gonzalez (R) 3B

8. Cole Tucker (S) CF

9. Jacob Stallings (R) C

Trevor Williams (R) SP

Geez, Louise!  Eric Gonzalez does have something on Shelty!  Any good investigative journalists on this site who can figure out what it is? 

Is anybody going to watch it?  Me, I don't know, depends on what Mrs. Possum has planned for the tv this evening?

The Kardashians aren't on?
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I like when they play Tucker, but he has struggled so far this year. I always hoped he could be a .275 or .280 hitter, but I am beginning to wonder if he will hit major league pitching. He has a lot of strikeouts so far this year.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

pretty good night. Held the Twinkies scoreless in 7 innings.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Even the drones know to go somewhere else. They saw what we have. :(
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

so Heredia and Osuna sent to Altoona. Don't get why Del Pozzo and Dyson are still here.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

McHenry was getting on my nerves during the broadcast. He seems to have learned from Joe Block that he should never stop talking. He makes some interesting points but that relentless chatter gets tiresome. And there's no need for him to end every comment to Greg Brown by calling him "Brownie." There's only 2 guys in the booth. He doesn't have to address him by name (or nickname) on every comment.