3. Josh Bell (S) DH

4. Colin Moran (L) 1B

5. Bryan Reynolds (S) LF

6. Gregory Polanco (L) RF

7. JT Riddle (L) SS

8. John Ryan Murphy (R) C

9. Jarrod Dyson (L) CF

J.T. Brubaker (R) SP

We all knew it but Riddle was brought up so he could start his first game today. But why Murphy? Why Polanco? Come on Shelty play the kids.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Game Thread - August 6 - Bucs vs Twins

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

I cringe when I see Polanco's name in the line-up. But any day now, he'll go on his typical four-day tear, where he hits like George Brett, only to fall back into his two to three week woes where he hits like Mrs. George Brett.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

2C7A6C78776D7D767B6C5E79737F7772307D1E0 wrote: I cringe when I see Polanco's name in the line-up.  But any day now, he'll go on his typical four-day tear, where he hits like George Brett, only to fall back into his two to three week woes where he hits like Mrs. George Brett.
Some people play ball and some are ballplayers. Polanco is not a ballplayer. He's a good athlete and has the physical ability to perform the required tasks such as hitting, throwing and running. But he doesn't seem to have instincts for the game so he makes bad decisions in the field and on the bases and doesn't hit consistently. His career .250 BA is the epitome of mediocrity. Which is the expected result of a guy with good physical ability but unable to compensate for pitchers trying to get him out. Maybe he needs to get on with his life's work in a softball league.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Today's lineup puts Lloyd McShelton on par with McClendon in terms of using 3 different SSs in the 1st 13 games. At least McClendon let Jack Wilson start as many as 4 games in a row in the first 13. Newman tops out at 3 straight (equaled by Gonzalez).
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

If you have three SS, you dont have any. We don't have any. Plain to see. Some hit, can't field

Some can't hit MLB pitching....We need one. The rest can duke it out for backup AFAIAC.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

567B76676071662625140 wrote: Today's lineup puts Lloyd McShelton on par with McClendon in terms of using 3 different SSs in the 1st 13 games. At least McClendon let Jack Wilson start as many as 4 games in a row in the first 13. Newman tops out at 3 straight (equaled by Gonzalez).

is the goal of shuffling the lineups to provide rest for everyone so the team is strong in September (for the stretch run)?

Everyone else's good players are going to be tired from overwork and coming back from Covid.

Sounds like a winning strategy.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

725F52434455420201300 wrote: I cringe when I see Polanco's name in the line-up.  But any day now, he'll go on his typical four-day tear, where he hits like George Brett, only to fall back into his two to three week woes where he hits like Mrs. George Brett.
Some people play ball and some are ballplayers. Polanco is not a ballplayer. He's a good athlete and has the physical ability to perform the required tasks such as hitting, throwing and running. But he doesn't seem to have instincts for the game so he makes bad decisions in the field and on the bases and doesn't hit consistently. His career .250 BA is the epitome of mediocrity. Which is the expected result of a guy with good physical ability but unable to compensate for pitchers trying to get him out. Maybe he needs to get on with his life's work in a softball league.

His instincts for the game are even worse than Starling Marte's, and that's saying something.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

After 1 inning the Twins have an insurmountable 3-0 lead and the nonstop gabfest between Block and McKenry is excruciating.
NJBucsFan

Post by NJBucsFan »

I grew up in Maryland, a fan of the late 70's / early 80's Orioles before I got my fandom figured out. I actually went to game one in the '79 Series.

But the point being, I grew up with a daily lineup. Every day it was Bumbry in center, Dauer at second, Singleton in right, Murray at first, then Doug DeCinces, Lee May, etc. Other than a platoon in left, the starters got a day off every week or two unless someone was hurt. Billy Smith and Pat Kelly didn't play a lot because there were better players on the team.

So having grown up with that, it's particularly annoying to see the entire lineup being shuffled every night. Sure, there are some gaping holes in the lineup that you're trying to figure out what to do with. And I see they're playing today but guys like Bryan Reynolds and Josh Bell just have to be in there every day.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

092429383F2E39797A4B0 wrote: After 1 inning the Twins have an insurmountable 3-0 lead and the nonstop gabfest between Block and McKenry is excruciating. 

The Bucs turn a DP in the second and Block makes it sound like the Bucs hit a HR with his jubilent call. :'(