Tanking

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Leyland1948

Tanking

Post by Leyland1948 »

I have heard and read statements that the Pirates are tanking! Why would they tank? Is there a young man out there what is the hot prospect whom all feel is the No1 pick? Even if so might the one person not have to spend some time in the minors before saving the franchise?

I honestly do not thing there are tanking I think they just do not to increase there payroll!
2drfischer@gmail.c

Tanking

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

4B627E6B666963363E333F070 wrote: I have heard and read statements that the Pirates are tanking! Why would they tank? Is there a young man out there what is the hot prospect whom all feel is the No1 pick? Even if so might the one person not have to spend some time in the minors before saving the franchise?

I honestly do not thing there are tanking I think they just do not to increase there payroll!

I could never be convinced that professional athletes, who have egos and pride galore, would intentionally lose games so as to be rescued by someone who is younger and lacks their experience, especially in baseball where it's the most difficult sport to reach the highest level. It has to be distasteful for professionals, in particular, to lose and I can't imagine a group of players collectively agreeing to do so.
maher.timothy20@gm

Tanking

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

Not tanking. Evaluating!
GreenWeenie

Tanking

Post by GreenWeenie »

5B726E7B767973262E232F170 wrote: I have heard and read statements that the Pirates are tanking! Why would they tank? Is there a young man out there what is the hot prospect whom all feel is the No1 pick? Even if so might the one person not have to spend some time in the minors before saving the franchise?

They aren't good enough to tank, one.

This is 2020, two. Nobody shuts up. The Astros got caught for what they did. The Pirates would get caught if they were tanking.

And, that would be The End.

So, no. They aren't tanking.
fjk090852-7

Tanking

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I don’t think the team is tanking. Nobody is hitting in the starting lineup. The pitching has been decimated by injuries. The team doesn’t look very good at this point.
Bobster21

Tanking

Post by Bobster21 »

I can't believe anyone could look at the personnel on this roster and conclude the constant losing is due to tanking. Winning with these guys would be a miracle. There are only a handful who are legit major leaguers and most of them are flawed.

Frazier, Newman and Reynolds are legit although off to poor starts.

Bell can't play defense.

Dyson can't hit.

Stallings is backup material.

Polanco can't do anything well.

Moran and Gonzalez are better suited as backups.

Osuna, Murphy and Riddle have one foot on the Altoona bus.

All starting pitchers are no better than a 4 or 5.

Stratton and Rodriguez have had modest MLB success. The rest of the BP ranges from guys getting a chance to show they can handle MLB to those who have no business being there.

A case could be made that team mgt wanted to tank by not assembling a major league caliber roster. I don't think that was the reasoning behind it. But if they tanked, it was because of the lack of talent assembled. Not because that lack of talent wasn't beating the other teams.
JollyRoger

Tanking

Post by JollyRoger »

507965707D72782D2528241C0 wrote: I have heard and read statements that the Pirates are tanking! Why would they tank? Is there a young man out there what is the hot prospect whom all feel is the No1 pick? Even if so might the one person not have to spend some time in the minors before saving the franchise?

No. The team is not tanking. They are just that bad.

Yes there is a consensus #1 pick who is projected to be a cross between Strausburg and Cole. Kumer Rocker out of Vanderbilt. 6’4” 255lbs . Hits 100 MPH. Has struck out 19 batters in a game and threw a no hitter in the CWS
ArnoldRothstein

Tanking

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

"Tanking" doesn't mean that the players are intentionally trying to lose anymore.  It means that management is going to strip the team of its good players, not replace them with either veterans or prospects that seem ready for the majors, and lose many games for the purpose of finishing last or nearly so that they can get very high draft picks. 

I assumed by spring training that they are tanking, with the catching and outfield depth the biggest signs that they'll be happy to lose 110.  I heard Cherrington talking yesterday about needing forty games to evaluate. That may be true, but I think what he's evaluating is whether they're going to play .350 ball or .300.
GreenWeenie

Tanking

Post by GreenWeenie »

7B77762D242D25282F302A1D0 wrote: I don’t think the team is tanking. Nobody is hitting in the starting lineup. The pitching has been decimated by injuries. The team doesn’t look very good at this point.

Injuries, too. Nobody goes through TJS or runs into teammates intentionally.

They're not very good.

It's easier to say that they're not trying to win.
GreenWeenie

Tanking

Post by GreenWeenie »

073428292A221429322E3532232F28460 wrote: "Tanking" doesn't mean that the players are intentionally trying to lose anymore.  It means that management is going to strip the team of its good players, not replace them with either veterans or prospects that seem ready for the majors, and lose many games for the purpose of finishing last or nearly so that they can get very high draft picks. 

I assumed by spring training that they are tanking, with the catching and outfield depth the biggest signs that they'll be happy to lose 110.  I heard Cherrington talking yesterday about needing forty games to evaluate. That may be true, but I think what he's evaluating is whether they're going to play .350 ball or .300.

Tanking means that players are told not to give their best effort to win.  A manager might be told to sit certain players.  But, the players still try to win.

Management has made a decision to stay within a certain budget.

The effects of that are easily seen.

This isn't tanking.  It's inferior performance and the competition is clearly better.

Cherington is BS. If we played 40 games, he'd say 60.