Kela to IL

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Kela to IL

Post by Bobster21 »

https://triblive.com/sports/pirates-pla ... ured-list/

Kela "has not participated in training camp for undisclosed reasons."

"If Kela isn’t ready for the season opener next Friday in St. Louis, right-hander Kyle Crick is the likely replacement as closer. Crick recorded two saves in 2018 but was 3-7 with a 4.96 ERA and 1.55 WHIP last season."

So walk-machine Crick will close? That should go well. He's been pitching professionally since 2011 and the only year he didn't have major control issues was 2018. Nothing like handing the other team a couple gift base runners in the 9th when you're trying to protect a lead.
GreenWeenie

Kela to IL

Post by GreenWeenie »

082528393E2F38787B4A0 wrote: https://triblive.com/sports/pirates-pla ... ured-list/

"If Kela isn’t ready for the season opener next Friday in St. Louis, right-hander Kyle Crick is the likely replacement as closer. Crick recorded two saves in 2018 but was 3-7 with a 4.96 ERA and 1.55 WHIP last season."

So walk-machine Crick will close? That should go well. He's been pitching professionally since 2011 and the only year he didn't have major control issues was 2018. Nothing like handing the other team a couple gift base runners in the 9th when you're trying to protect a lead. 

3-7 with a 4.96 ERA and 1.55 WHIP last season."

What do the competitive Defenders of the Do Nothings have to say about this? 

Apparently, Cherington doesn't know what he has and needs to see a lot more of.....the Kyle Cricks of the world.
johnfluharty

Kela to IL

Post by johnfluharty »

Reminds me of the closer we had that made the All-Star team with an ERA of like 6- Mike Williams?
SCBucco

Kela to IL

Post by SCBucco »

163B36272031266665540 wrote: https://triblive.com/sports/pirates-pla ... ured-list/

I would see what Burdi has as far as closing acumen instead of Crick. I see Liriano was released by the Phillies. I'd grab him to be the setup guy.
GreenWeenie

Kela to IL

Post by GreenWeenie »

The Phils need pitching and they released Liriiano within months of signing him to a minor league deal.  That's a red flag. Maybe not, all things considered.
shedman

Kela to IL

Post by shedman »

6B7B7A4D5B5B57380 wrote: https://triblive.com/sports/pirates-pla ... ured-list/

I would see what Burdi has as far as closing acumen instead of Crick.  I see Liriano was released by the Phillies.  I'd grab him to be the setup guy.
_______

Cherington can't grab Liriano, he still has to see what he has.
SCBucco

Kela to IL

Post by SCBucco »

544F42434A4649270 wrote: https://triblive.com/sports/pirates-pla ... ured-list/

I would see what Burdi has as far as closing acumen instead of Crick.  I see Liriano was released by the Phillies.  I'd grab him to be the setup guy.
_______

Cherington can't grab Liriano, he still has to see what he has.

We know what Ben has. He is better than Lithuanian guy that continues to wear a uni for starters.
GreenWeenie

Kela to IL

Post by GreenWeenie »

Yeah, but Liriano costs more.

So much for that Liriano idea. I'm all for putting his cardboard photo in the stands, though.
SCBucco

Kela to IL

Post by SCBucco »

734651515A6351515A5D51340 wrote: Yeah, but Liriano costs more.

So much for that Liriano idea.  I'm all for putting his cardboard photo in the stands, though. 

The dude just got dumped by Philly. I doubt it costs 600K to sign him. Then again, that seems to be expensive for our owner.
GreenWeenie

Kela to IL

Post by GreenWeenie »

you can delete the "seems to be." It is.