What's your take?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave

What's your take?

Post by WildwoodDave »

I was watching the Yankees

Rays game last night. Cole against Glasnow.

The announcer made a comment on how well both pitchers were doing since they left Pittsburgh.Do you think they were referring to Searage or just the fact that they were both going to better teams. Your thoughts
GreenWeenie

What's your take?

Post by GreenWeenie »

Announcers gave Searage credit for Burnett and Happ, so my answer's- team.

Both amped it up by going to the AL and facing nine hitters game in and game out.
SCBucco

What's your take?

Post by SCBucco »

76484D45564E4E4565405744210 wrote: I was watching the Yankees

The announcer made a comment on how well both pitchers were doing since they left Pittsburgh.Do you think they were referring to Searage or just the fact that they were both going to better teams. Your thoughts

Sarge connected with reclamation projects better than real talented pitchers ... Happ, AJB, Liriano. Heck Joe Blanton pitched well here during his short time.
WildwoodDave

What's your take?

Post by WildwoodDave »

1C0C0D3A2C2C204F0 wrote: I was watching the Yankees

Sarge connected with reclamation projects better than real talented pitchers ... Happ, AJB, Liriano.  Heck Joe Blanton pitched well here during his short time.
I agree. The announcer said Glasnow mentioned his pitching style is working well in Tampa. obviously the teams, Houston, Yankees and Rays certainly help a pitcher. One doesn't have to be perfect everyday
ArnoldRothstein

What's your take?

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

I don't think baseball people bought into some of the claims about Searage. If they thought that he could routinely fix guys, why sign them and fix them only to let them go to free agency immediately? Better to sign them cheap for several years, then fix them so that you could enjoy the benefits.
Bobster21

What's your take?

Post by Bobster21 »

Cole attributed his success in Houston to advice he got from coaches but in particular, veteran pitchers Verlander and Keuchel. In Pittsburgh, there were no stud pitchers to get advice from. In Houston there was a shift in philosophy to overpowering hitters.

Glasnow claimed the Pirates wanted him and all their pitchers to pitch low in the zone. He said his success in the minors had always been by pitching high in the zone. But that was not the Pirates' pitching philosophy. He said when he got to Tampa they told him to do what he had been good at. And it showed instant results.
GreenWeenie

What's your take?

Post by GreenWeenie »

It helps when you are pitching AGAINST the Pirates rather than for them, unfortunately.

I agree that teammates help to push each other. In some cases, it's a matter of not wanting to be the worst guy on the club.
BenM

What's your take?

Post by BenM »

567B76676071662625140 wrote: Cole attributed his success in Houston to advice he got from coaches but in particular, veteran pitchers Verlander and Keuchel. In Pittsburgh, there were no stud pitchers to get advice from. In Houston there was a shift in philosophy to overpowering hitters.

Glasnow claimed the Pirates wanted him and all their pitchers to pitch low in the zone. He said his success in the minors had always been by pitching high in the zone. But that was not the Pirates' pitching philosophy. He said when he got to Tampa they told him to do what he had been good at. And it showed instant results.

In addition, both pitchers praised the way their new teams used analytics to explain what changes the coaches wanted them to make.

On his way out, Uncle Ray made it pretty clear he wasn't too into the numbers.
DemDog

What's your take?

Post by DemDog »

From what each player said I think it was both. The Bucs are now faced with having a PC who is into analytics but they have no Wylie vet who can help the young guys with how to pitch and not just sling it up there 95 mph.
GreenWeenie

What's your take?

Post by GreenWeenie »

BOB paying for Frankie Luriano, Jr.?

I'd bet against that.