Ask Dr. Shed

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Ask Dr. Shed

Post by GreenWeenie »

It's time, ladies and germs, for the innaugural edition of "Ask Dr. Shed," where noted Pirates fan, Shedman answers readers' Question Of The Month.

After a 7-17 start to this quagmire of a season/team, the mailbox has been full, and it took time to weed through all the letters that have been submitted.

We pulled this one because of its reflection of the team's tradition as we look forward to the future that we hope will oneday land in The Burgh.

August's Ask Dr. Shed Letter of the Month comes from Edna in the Hamptons:

"Dear Dr. Shed,

Forget a handful of players.  Let's talk three.

The year was 1962, some 58 years ago.

The Buccos had the "young" Bill Mazeroski (six years experience), Roberto Clemente (seven years experience,) and a rookie named Willie Stargell.

In today's MLB environment, even if Cherington was able to draft and develop three guys like that, do you think that the "2020 Clemente" would be wearing a white uniform at PNC with the "2020 Mazeroski" and the 2020 LMG Stargell"?

We're talking the Roberto Clemente who wanted to be considered on equal par with Hank Aaron and Willie Mays.

What say you?"

Signed,

Edna

The Hamptons
shedman

Ask Dr. Shed

Post by shedman »

556077777C4577777C7B77120 wrote: It's time, ladies and germs, for the innaugural edition of "Ask Dr. Shed," where noted Pirates fan, Shedman answers readers' Question Of The Month.

After a 7-17 start to this quagmire of a season/team, the mailbox has been full, and it took time to weed through all the letters that have been submitted.

We pulled this one because of its reflection of the team's tradition as we look forward to the future that we hope will oneday land in The Burgh.

August's Ask Dr. Shed Letter of the Month comes from Edna in the Hamptons:

"Dear Dr. Shed,

Forget a handful of players.  Let's talk three.

The year was 1962, some 58 years ago.

The Buccos had the "young" Bill Mazeroski (six years experience), Roberto Clemente (seven years experience,) and a rookie named Willie Stargell.

In today's MLB environment, even if Cherington was able to draft and develop three guys like that, do you think that the "2020 Clemente" would be wearing a white uniform at PNC with the "2020 Mazeroski" and the 2020 LMG Stargell"?

We're talking the Roberto Clemente who wanted to be considered on equal par with Hank Aaron and Willie Mays.

What say you?"

Signed,

Edna

The Hamptons
________

Dear Edna:

Thank you for your question.  It is apparent that the Clemente, Stargell, and Mazeroski of 2020 would be dashed off to another team long before we ever win a World Series unless the Clemente, Stargell, and Mazeroski of 2020 were willing to play for the league minimum as a hometown discount.  But since we all know that our owner is a tightwad, we shouldn't criticize the situation and should be content to just hope that Cherington does the job better than Huntington.  Hope is our best plan in Pittsburgh.

For example, Brian Reynolds is our best player.  While no Clemente or Stargell, he will be dashed off to the highest bidder long before Cherington sees what he has, but some players on the roster will be here when we are good.

Shedman
GreenWeenie

Ask Dr. Shed

Post by GreenWeenie »

Being a Buccos fan builds character.
Ecbucs

Ask Dr. Shed

Post by Ecbucs »

Dear Dr. Shed,

How come SteadyFreddy has not been posting what the Bucs need to do over the next ten games to be a contender? I rely on his take on the standings so that I don't have to do math.

Here's to hoping he has just taken the first 25 games off and is ready to roll.
GreenWeenie

Ask Dr. Shed

Post by GreenWeenie »

Sorry. You will have to wait for September to seeif yours is the lucky letter selected.

The good doctor doesn't work cheap.
DemDog

Ask Dr. Shed

Post by DemDog »

Dear Dr. Shed,

What am I going to do tonight without any exciting AAAA Bucco baseball being played? I am so excited that Erik Gonzales is playing minor league GG defense, Gregory Polanco is starting to become the "smile" not the "face" of the team with his prodigious HR or nothing swing. Golly Dr. Shed you need to help me.
Bobster21

Ask Dr. Shed

Post by Bobster21 »

Dear Dr. Shed,

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
shedman

Ask Dr. Shed

Post by shedman »

6D4C446D464E290 wrote: Dear Dr. Shed,

What am I going to do tonight without any exciting AAAA Bucco baseball being played?  I am so excited that Erik Gonzales is playing minor league GG defense, Gregory Polanco is starting to become the "smile" not the "face" of the team with his prodigious HR or nothing swing.  Golly Dr. Shed you need to help me.
_______

Dear Possum,

Thank you for your question. While you may feel that we are a AAAA team and that some of the players are not major league talent, Ben Cherington is very busy seeing what he has. Remember, that it takes time to build a championship team and that there are players on the roster that will be with us when we are good. And look on the bright side, just think of how much financial flexibility we have when the "time is right".
DemDog

Ask Dr. Shed

Post by DemDog »

3F242928212D224C0 wrote: Dear Dr. Shed,

What am I going to do tonight without any exciting AAAA Bucco baseball being played?  I am so excited that Erik Gonzales is playing minor league GG defense, Gregory Polanco is starting to become the "smile" not the "face" of the team with his prodigious HR or nothing swing.  Golly Dr. Shed you need to help me.
_______

Dear Possum,

Thank you for your question.  While you may feel that we are a AAAA team and that some of the players are not major league talent, Ben Cherington is very busy seeing what he has.  Remember, that it takes time to build a championship team and that there are players on the roster that will be with us when we are good.  And look on the bright side, just think of how much financial flexibility we have when the "time is right".

Thanks for the answer Dr. Shedman. I wonder when you gave it were you sitting on BC lap and allowing him to put words in your mouth and pull some strings? ;D ;D ;D ;D
NJBucsFan

Ask Dr. Shed

Post by NJBucsFan »

Dear Dr. Shed, I live in New Jersey, and find that when I wear my Pirates gear even Mets fans sneer at me now. I'm used to this from Yankees fans, they look down on everyone. But Mets fans? What should I do?

Ashamed in New Jersey