Could Musgrove Be A Closer

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Who knows maybe trade talk for Musgrove may intensify this winter, but while watching him pitch today I wondered if he would make a perfect closer. He pitches with a chip on his shoulder, and he does throw several pitches. Probably being a starting pitcher is best, but I think he could close out games with success.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

The Astros, who we generally credit with raiding Cole and Morton to a higher level, took Musgrove out of their rotation at mid season 2017 with a 6.12 ERA and put him in the BP where he excelled the 2nd half pf the season with a 1.44 ERA. So maybe a role as a closer wouldn't be a bad idea.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

666A6B3039303835322D37000 wrote: Who knows maybe trade talk for Musgrove may intensify this winter, but while watching him pitch today I wondered if he would make a perfect closer. He pitches with a chip on his shoulder, and he does throw several pitches. Probably being a starting pitcher is best, but I think he could close out games with success.
He has tremendous movement on some pitches. I wouldn't dump him, if he continues to struggle then yes try him in relief. But I like his competitiveness and he has so real stuff. This team has to develop players and quickly. We have no stars and that has to change to make the Pirates relevant. It also should motivate players who aspire to stardom, there's certainly plenty of room for anyone to take the lead.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Far from a rookie. Is what he's been. Far from a star. He might become good. Good in the clubhouse. Owns a cool glove. If he's Sandy Koufax, he'll become a star. He's probably Kip Wells.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Making him a closer sure is thinking outside the box. He was acquired to be a starter but has kinda failed at that. Now is the time for BC to use the evaluation he has been doing this season and make a decision that could help this team in the future either by having a top closer for the next few years or by trading him for some prospect or heaven forbid international bonus money.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4B6A624B60680F0 wrote: Making him a closer sure is thinking outside the box.  He was acquired to be a starter but has kinda failed at that.  Now is the time for BC to use the evaluation he has been doing this season and make a decision that could help this team in the future either by having a top closer for the next few years or by trading him for some prospect or heaven forbid international bonus money. 
Although the Pirates acquired him to be part of their rotation--and had high hopes for him--he was a failed starter for the Astros, who seem to know what they're doing with pitchers. I don't know why the Pirates thought he would be different with them.

Yesterday was an outstanding effort by him. But games like that are few and far between. And even with that game, his ERA stands at 4.68. And his career ERA as a starter is 4.66. That's a #4 or #5 starter at best. Guys like that are a dime a dozen. But if he could be special in the BP, he could be of much greater value.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

BOB wants to know- tell him more about those "dime a dozen" guys!
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6F5A4D4D467F4D4D46414D280 wrote: BOB wants to know- tell him more about those "dime a dozen" guys!
:D :D :D
WildwoodDave

Post by WildwoodDave »

200D00111607105053620 wrote: The Astros, who we generally credit with raiding Cole and Morton to a higher level, took Musgrove out of their rotation at mid season 2017 with a 6.12 ERA and put him in the BP where he excelled the 2nd half pf the season with a 1.44 ERA. So maybe a role as a closer wouldn't be a bad idea.
How old is Musgrove?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

506E6B637068686343667162070 wrote: The Astros, who we generally credit with raiding Cole and Morton to a higher level, took Musgrove out of their rotation at mid season 2017 with a 6.12 ERA and put him in the BP where he excelled the 2nd half pf the season with a 1.44 ERA. So maybe a role as a closer wouldn't be a bad idea.
How old is Musgrove?
27. Also, he's a FA in 2023. Which means he will likely be traded during the 2022 season if not sooner. So next year is probably the last full season they will have him. And he's still not an above average starter and there isn't much time to wait for him to become one.