5 Stars of the Bucs 3-2 Walkoff Win Over Cubbies on 9/22

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

It feels so good when the pain stops!

5th Star: Rich Rodriguez pitched a scoreless 9th, gaining his team-leading third win.

4th Star: Gregory Polanco scored in the 2nd and the 4th, starting things off with a single and a walk.

3rd Star: Erik Gonzalez knocked in our first run with a double in the 2nd.

2nd Star: Walkoff homer in the 9th gets a star for Jake Stallings!

1st Star: Steven Brault pitched 7 innings of two-hit, shutout ball. I cannot recall seeing back-to-back shutout starts (16 innings worth) from a Pirate pitcher, and the announcers said it went all the way back to Drabek.

Tip the cap to Adam Frazier for the RBI double in the 5th, and I would have given him a star if he hadn't run himself out at third base!
ScottinMass

Post by ScottinMass »

456F645463757579160 wrote: It feels so good when the pain stops!

5th Star: Rich Rodriguez pitched a scoreless 9th, gaining his team-leading third win.

4th Star: Gregory Polanco scored in the 2nd and the 4th, starting things off with a single and a walk.

1st Star: Steven Brault pitched 7 innings of two-hit, shutout ball. I cannot recall seeing back-to-back shutout starts (16 innings worth) from a Pirate pitcher, and the announcers said it went all the way back to Drabek.

Tip the cap to Adam Frazier for the RBI double in the 5th, and I would have given him a star if he hadn't run himself out at third base!
Agree on Brault, but his last game was a complete game, not a shutout, he gave up 1 run in that game.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

53636F7474696E4D617373000 wrote: It feels so good when the pain stops!

Agree on Brault, but his last game was a complete game, not a shutout, he gave up 1 run in that game.

Thanks for straightening me out, Scott. You know how good memories are - they get better with age! :)
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I went back thru Drabek's game logs and it doesn't appear he ever pitched back to bag shutouts for the Pirates. (Not that Brault has done it either.)

I don't know if it's happened since but in 1960 Vinegar Bend Mizell pitched back to back shutouts sandwiched between 2 CGs of 1 run in 9 innings. In total he pitched 30 consecutive innings with an ERA of 0.50 for those 4 games.