Sources: Ben Cherington has accepted Pirates’ GM job

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I saw it in the post-gazette but I'm sure it's other places too. 

Thoughts?  I don't know enough to have an opinion.

Sammy, I am adding links to the PG site article and also from MLBTrs.  Hope you don't mind.

From MLBTRs

Cherington Accepts GM Position

From the Post-Gazette

Cherington Accepts GM Position
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Now we get to see what he will do for the team and the fans. I don't think we see anything earth-shattering in the short term. He needs to get up to speed with the current FO staff and weed out the ones he thinks won't buy into his ideas for the team.

Good Luck Ben!
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

good idea with the links, possum.

People I read before the final decision seemed to think he was the best of the options.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

I'm interested in the ask Cherrington made before agreeing to take this gig. He supposedly turned down other possibilities over the years so he could "build an organization from the ground up", I have read. He has his chance. He is behind the eight ball in free agency already. Curious if this rebuild means dealing Marte.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Assistant GM Kyle Stark fired . . . err, "parted ways"
iabucco

Post by iabucco »

In the words of Blood Sweat and tears, "I've been down so long, bottom looked like up." I think there is room for optimism in player development, I think Hurdle had run his course and there were a lot of lack of focus issues for the players. However, unless they really agree to up the salary of players there is only so much you can do with smoke and mirrors.

That being said, welcome to the Pirates and go bucs!
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Dear Ben

Welcome to Pittsburgh.

There a large number of dedicated fans in Pittsburgh who want 3 things from a GM:

1) The truth (honesty)

2) Hope that tomorrow will be better

3) A real shot at again being a play-off team

Your challenge will be daunting.

Few (if any) fans trust or believe in ownership, and for good reason.

Ownership will not provide you the financial resources that you really need.

You are inheriting a team that lost 90+ games, that has limited pitching talent at the major league level or help in the minors, and a team that lacks power.

With the loss of Vasquez, you have limited assets to trade for a real return, and every trade that you do make you need to 'win' and in a big way.

You were brought in late in the off-season and need to do a lot to catch up, and may be unfairly judged by some for not being a miracle man (but hey, maybe you are) and immediately turning around a franchise that appears to be in complete disarray.

Ben, we all want you to succeed. Be smart, be bold, and most of all, please provide all of us some hope that things are headed in the right direction.

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

406C6463684F786E7E0D0 wrote: Dear Ben

Welcome to Pittsburgh.

There a large number of dedicated fans in Pittsburgh who want 3 things from a GM:

1)  The truth (honesty)

2)  Hope that tomorrow will be better

3)  A real shot at again being a play-off team

Your challenge will be daunting.

Few (if any) fans trust or believe in ownership, and for good reason.

Ownership will not provide you the financial resources that you really need.

You are inheriting a team that lost 90+ games, that has limited pitching talent at the major league level or help in the minors, and a team that lacks power. 

With the loss of Vasquez, you have limited assets to trade for a real return, and every trade that you do make you need to 'win' and in a big way.

You were brought in late in the off-season and need to do a lot to catch up, and may be unfairly judged by some for not being a miracle man (but hey, maybe you are) and immediately turning around a franchise that appears to be in complete disarray. 

Ben, we all want you to succeed.  Be smart, be bold, and most of all, please provide all of us some hope that things are headed in the right direction.   

I'm pleased, and surprised. He knows what he is getting into and he must believe he can overcome the limitations.

It will be interesting to see what he does with the few assets he has. He doesn't have much time to get up to speed.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I'm guessing the hiring of Cherington to replace Huntington was done to save Nutting the cost of a few letters on nameplates that already have the "ington." :D :D

Per the MLBTRs article, Cherington gave some big contracts to free agents who didn't pan out with the Red Sox. But that won't be a problem with the Pirates. More importantly, the article also says he oversaw the stockpiling of prospect depth. I suspect this, more than anything, made him the Pirates #1 choice since their goal of building from within was undercut by their frequent failures to either draft the right people or perhaps an inability to develop them. If Cherington can stockpile the organization with impactful prospects, it will go a long way toward righting the ship. I'm hopeful this will be a positive change.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

765B56474051460605340 wrote: I'm guessing the hiring of Cherington to replace Huntington was done to save Nutting the cost of a few letters on nameplates that already have the "ington."  :D :D

Per the MLBTRs article, Cherington gave some big contracts to free agents who didn't pan out with the Red Sox. But that won't be a problem with the Pirates. More importantly, the article also says he oversaw the stockpiling of prospect depth. I suspect this, more than anything, made him the Pirates #1 choice since their goal of building from within was undercut by their frequent failures to either draft the right people or perhaps an inability to develop them. If Cherington can stockpile the organization with impactful prospects, it will go a long way toward righting the ship. I'm hopeful this will be a positive change.

Thinking this is a rebuild and Bob should agree to do it. I'd deal Marte for good prospects to help fortify the farm system. I'd consider doing the same with Bell as well. It's like having that stud reliever on a team that sucks. There is no point. If ownership doesn't want to commit the funds, then this is the way to go. Cherrington is very good at identifying young talent. His resume at Boston says so. Yes, made some poor choices in free agent signing. Look at Toronto's prospects.

I wonder, if Cherrington was our GM last year instead of NH, does he pull the trigger on Vazquez with the LAD. NH was fixated on Lux, who we really didn't need. Would Charrington have come back with a deal centering around Dustin May or Ruiz the catching prospect? I think so, so we would have gotten something of value instead of losing the top trade asset we have.