Quora has a ? why Clemente played right rather than center

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

some answers:

1. Clemente had a great arm, which is ideally suited for right field. He wasn’t overly fast; speed is usually a requirement for centerfield. Bill Virdon was faster than Clemente and played CF during much of the time Clemente played RF for Pittsburgh

2. Likely several reasons. When Clemente came up to the Pirates in 1955, he was 20 years old, black, and spoke limited English, and was playing in Pittsburgh. The Pirates already had Eddie O’Brien and Frank Thomas, who both were several years older and were already playing CF, so it was highly unlikely any manager of that era would have put a rookie in CF, a crucial defensive position, regardless of how good his arm was. When Bill Virdon came over from St. Louis in ‘56, he was also older and more experienced and he played CF. Bear in mind that baseball had a very defined hierarchy in that era that revolved around age, skin color and nationality.

Another reason Clemente played RF could have been the unusual dimensions of Forbes Field. There was a lot of real estate in RF and Clemente’s outstanding arm was likely put to best use out there.

For many years there was a screen from the second deck in the right field corner, intended to stop cheap home runs by lefties (only 300 feet to the corner.) Roberto Clemente was renowned for fielding balls that bounced off that screen and then rifling throws to second.

3. Because the manager, Fred Haney, felt that Bill Virdon was a better all-around defender. The only time a team puts someone in a corner OF spot when he is a better defender than the CF is when they have a good veteran in CF and don’t want to move him. Since Clemente and Virdon came up at the same time, I have to conclude that the manager at least thought Virdon was better.

Haney may have been wrong but Bobby Bragan (manager 1956 to 57) nor Danny Murtaugh or anyone who came afterward didn’t correct this “mistake.” I watched the Pirates on TV back then and I don’t think the managers were wrong.

4. Clemente had a great arm, which is ideally suited for right field. He wasn’t overly fast; speed is usually a requirement for centerfield. Bill Virdon was faster than Clemente and played CF during much of the time Clemente played RF for Pittsburgh.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I don't think it's a mystery. As a Rule 5 draftee, Clemente arrived as a raw rookie in 1955. He played only 77 games in the OF with Montreal and had only 83 chances. He was so raw that Branch Rickey was not impressed with his defense. So putting him CF would not seem wise. They had a need in RF after 37 yr old RFer Sid Gordon had been sold to NY in May while hitting .170.

Virdon had more normal development. 5 years in the minors, 271 games in the OF with 692 chances. When Clemente was first getting his feet wet in MLB in 1955 with very little minor league seasoning, Virdon was winning NL ROY in CF with St.L. Virdon was obtained in 1956 following his ROY season to strengthen CF when Clemente was in only his 2nd year in MLB. Clemente developed into a HOF RFer while Virdon was providing outstanding defense in CF. Clemente did play CF in 47 games his first 3 seasons. But it just never made sense to move Virdon out of CF or Clemente out of RF where his cannon arm was a great weapon.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

200D00111607105053620 wrote: I don't think it's a mystery. As a Rule 5 draftee, Clemente arrived as a raw rookie in 1955. He played only 77 games in the OF with Montreal and had only 83 chances. He was so raw that Branch Rickey was not impressed with his defense. So putting him CF would not seem wise. They had a need in RF after 37 yr old RFer Sid Gordon had been sold to NY in May while hitting .170.

Virdon had more normal development. 5 years in the minors, 271 games in the OF with 692 chances. When Clemente was first getting his feet wet in MLB in 1955 with very little minor league seasoning, Virdon was winning NL ROY in CF with St.L. Virdon was obtained in 1956 following his ROY season to strengthen CF when Clemente was in only his 2nd year in MLB. Clemente developed into a HOF RFer while Virdon was providing outstanding defense in CF. Clemente did play CF in 47 games his first 3 seasons. But it just never made sense to move Virdon out of CF or Clemente out of RF where his cannon arm was a great weapon.   

that is my assessment too. I don't think it had to do with Clemente having a stronger arm or being slower than Virdon. It just made sense to go with outfielder more experienced in center.

I have been surprised by responses, do you think Virdon was faster than Clemente? My memory has always had Clemente being one of fastest Pirates, maybe Maury Wills and Alou were regulars who ran faster.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

0B2D2C3B2D3D4E0 wrote: I don't think it's a mystery. As a Rule 5 draftee, Clemente arrived as a raw rookie in 1955. He played only 77 games in the OF with Montreal and had only 83 chances. He was so raw that Branch Rickey was not impressed with his defense. So putting him CF would not seem wise. They had a need in RF after 37 yr old RFer Sid Gordon had been sold to NY in May while hitting .170.

that is my assessment too.  I don't think it had to do with Clemente having a stronger arm or being slower than Virdon.  It just made sense to go with outfielder more experienced in center.

I have been surprised by responses, do you think Virdon was faster than Clemente?  My memory has always had Clemente being one of fastest Pirates, maybe Maury Wills and Alou were regulars who ran faster.
They were both fast. I don't know who was faster. Virdon had a very good arm as well altho Clemente's arm was in a class by itself. But Virdon arrived as a very polished CFer after 5 years in the minors and 1 ROY season in St.L. 1960 was Clemente's breakout year including 17 OF assists. But that was also Virdon's 6th MLB season of outstanding CF play. By the time Clemente established himself as a premier RFer, Virdon had already established himself as a premier CFer. Virdon just never gave them any reason to move him out of CF so Murtaugh had both OF spots well covered in in a ballpark that was extremely spacious in the OF.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

His first starts in 1955 were mostly in center: RCRCCCCC. That took him to late April, he had only one more start in center for the season, against 98 more in right.

It looks like they were just jiggling people around, and most didn't hit: Eddie O'Brien .233 with no power at all, young Latins Roman Mejias and Felipe Montemayor hit .216 and .211, respectively. There were times they had Thomas in center and Jerry Lynch in left, just because they were the ones who were hitting.

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

another person responded with Clemente was not a great fielder. I don't know where these people come from. I can believe that he may not have been great in 1955, 1956 as he was very young and hadn't played that much baseball. But these guys that answer that don't say he developed into a great fielder in right other than for his arm.

Robert Clemente was not a great fielder, but had a “howitzer” for an arm, as former Cardinals’ catcher Tim McCarver said.

[highlight]In addition, Pittsburgh’s Forbes Field had a huge center field. Not good for a relatively timid outfielder prone to errors, many on his throws.[/highlight]

So, regardless of who played center field for the Pirates, it was not likely to be Clemente.

Bill Virdon

As it was, Bill Virdon, played center field for the Pirates after Clemente’s rookie season. He was there from ’56 to ’65 continuously, batting .266 with a little pop.

Virdon not only had a career fielding percentage of .982 in center field to Clemente’s .973 in right, Virdon took more risks as a fielder.

Pirates pitcher Bob Friend said, “Forbes Field was a big ballpark and Virdon could play short and cover everything. There wasn’t a better center fielder in my era.”

And Willie Mays played in that era.

Pittsburgh’s ballpark was so big the batting cage was stored in left center during games. Despite, that, Virdon said, “I played in it for ten years and I don’t think the batting cage came into play more than three or four times.”

Virdon wore glasses, and the Cardinals worried about his vision

Virdon, three years older than Clemente, had been rookie of the year for the Cardinals in 1955 at age 24. He limped through September in the first season, had a poor spring and a poor start to the regular season.

The Cardinals were convinced that Virdon’s vision - he wore eyeglasses - was failing and traded him. Further, Virdon batted left, and the Cardinals wanted a right-handed outfielder.

Thus, the ceremony at which Virdon was handed The Sporting News Rookie of the Year Award was in Pittsburgh, with Pirates Hall of Famer Pie Traynor doing the honors.

The Cards lacked patience

After the trade, Virdon (again, a lefty batter) said his vision was fine, but the right field wall in St. Louis’ Busch Stadium “is right on top of you” and maybe “unconsciously” he had been trying to hit home runs.

Virdon - known for his “pipes” (strong arms) hit 17 home runs as a rookie, but never hit double figures for the Pirates. Virdon said Pittsburgh’s Forbes Field with the center field fence more than 400 feet away, held “no temptation to hit the long one.”

Hank Sauer, who played alongside Virdon in ’56 in St. Louis, hated the trade in which the Cardinals got Bobby Del Greco. “What a terrible deal. Virdon was a great fielder, much better than Del Greco.”