Rearranging the Support Staff

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

From MLB Trade Rumors

•Pittsburgh Pirates GM Ben Cherington continues to re-make the organization that hired him as General Manager back on November 18, 2019. Lots has changed in the year plus that Cherington has been in charge, but a long rebuild still lies ahead. Given the revenue dips caused by the pandemic, it’s not particularly surprising that today’s news regards a “mix of firings and not renewing contracts,” per Jason Mackey of PG Sports Now (via Twitter). Among those not returning to Pittsburgh are strength coach Jim Malone, head athletic trainer Bryan Housand, and senior advisor Nick Leyva, among others it seems. Given the trends we’re seeing in the industry, it would not be surprising to see these positions either filled internally or not filled at all.

My comment --- Exactly why is Cora still the 3rd base coach? Too many mistakes, both this year and last year.
Javy

Post by Javy »

Cora should have been gone last year.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I've wondered how he hangs on myself. I'm assuming he's doing what he's asked to do, which is push the running game. A lot of times those runs only score if there is a bad throw, but maybe management figures there's a better chance of a bad throw than of anyone else getting a hit and driving someone in from third (if he halted them there).
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Cora just doesn't seem to have a feel for when a runner has a good chance to score. It seems he makes up his mind to send them regardless. He can't know for certain that a runner will be safe at home but when so many are out in plays that aren't close, it suggests he doesn't seem to have a gauge for the players' speed, the fielder's arm or how shallow the OFer is.

And while it's not his fault, the "run on contact" against a drawn in infield is a ridiculous strategy. The old adage is "make sure the ball goes through" in those situations. Because otherwise, you are dead out at the plate. But Hurdle and now Shelton both seem to love having runners at 3B run themselves into easy outs at home.

In any case, I hope there are sweeping changes throughout the organization. Too many instances of misevaluating players and failing to develop them.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7A575A4B4C5D4A0A09380 wrote: Cora just doesn't seem to have a feel for when a runner has a good chance to score. It seems he makes up his mind to send them regardless. He can't know for certain that a runner will be safe at home but when so many are out in plays that aren't close, it suggests he doesn't seem to have a gauge for the players' speed, the fielder's arm or how shallow the OFer is.

And while it's not his fault, the "run on contact" against a drawn in infield is a ridiculous strategy. The old adage is "make sure the ball goes through" in those situations. Because otherwise, you are dead out at the plate. But Hurdle and now Shelton both seem to love having runners at 3B run themselves into easy outs at home.

In any case, I hope there are sweeping changes throughout the organization. Too many instances of misevaluating players and failing to develop them.

the run on contact just makes no sense. Maybe when you could run over the catcher the odds of making it on a close play were better. You would think the Pirates analytics department would track these situations and document that it isn't a good strategy.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

I always wondered if other teams fans were so fed up that even the third base coach doesn't cut it. My thoughts on Cora is they don't even want him to think, just do the same thing and wave them on through. That might be the only excitement in the game.

Our organization seems in such disarray, that watching one of the games I wanted to remark, but held back for worry of offending someone with the comment, about how fat the bat boy was they were using that day. I mean, we have the lousiest team, some of the lousiest coaches, and we can't even have a bat boy that isn't a junior version of "Fat tub of goo".
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

45636471787463757D160 wrote: I always wondered if other teams fans were so fed up that even the third base coach doesn't cut it. My thoughts on Cora is they don't even want him to think, just do the same thing and wave them on through. That might be the only excitement in the game.

Our organization seems in such disarray, that watching one of the games I wanted to remark, but held back for worry of offending someone with the comment, about how fat the bat boy was they were using that day. I mean, we have the lousiest team, some of the lousiest coaches, and we can't even have a bat boy that isn't a junior version of "Fat tub of goo".
That might be the post of the day! :D :D :D