Pirate Plaza-Retired Numbers

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

I read where the new development that will replace Gold Parking Lot 4 across from PNC Park will have an open plaza where they will honor the numbers of Pirate greats.

Question that I would like to pose to the board for opinions is this:

Since we may never have another Pirate player spend his entire career with the Bucs; do you think the organization should consider retiring the numbers of Pirate greats that may have played a significant portion of their careers in Pittsburgh?

I’m talking about Bonds, Parker and maybe McCutcheon
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Not in my opinion, but if it helps them to make more money, I would expect them to do it.

If Dave Parker or Barry Bo ds make the HOF, then yes.

Sell the past. To heck with the future. It's what they do.
Javy

Post by Javy »

290C0F0F1A310C040611630 wrote: I read where the new development that will replace Gold Parking Lot 4 across from PNC Park will have an open plaza where they will honor the numbers of Pirate greats.

Since we may never have another Pirate player spend his entire career with the Bucs; do you think the organization should consider retiring the numbers of Pirate greats that may have played a significant portion of their careers in Pittsburgh?

Interesting thought. Just for the players you mentioned, I would say no on Bonds, but only due to the fact that he played just a small portion of his career in the Burgh before moving on. not anything other than that.

Parker? - He played most of his career in Pittsburgh and had great success, but the end of his time there will likely taint his success, but I would add him - he was that impactful

cutch? - definitely. He played his formative and impactful years in Pittsburgh. No question his number should be retired.

Anyone else? - I think you have to look at how long they were there, and how impactful they were. Loved Candelaria,Drabek, Madlock, and Garner, but they weren't here for the majority of their careers.

I think the organization is long overdue to retire the numbers of Elroy Face and Vernon Law, while they are still alive.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

6A415659200 wrote: I read where the new development that will replace Gold Parking Lot 4 across from PNC Park will have an open plaza where they will honor the numbers of Pirate greats.

Interesting thought. Just for the players you mentioned, I would say no on Bonds, but only due to the fact that he played just a small portion of his career in the Burgh before moving on. not anything other than that.

Parker? - He played most of his career in Pittsburgh and had great success, but the end of his time there will likely taint his success, but I would add him - he was that impactful

cutch? - definitely. He played his formative and impactful years in Pittsburgh. No question his number should be retired.

Anyone else? - I think you have to look at how long they were there, and how impactful they were. Loved Candelaria,Drabek, Madlock,  and Garner, but they weren't here for the majority of their careers.

I think the organization is long overdue to retire the numbers of Elroy Face and Vernon Law, while they are still alive.

Good points on Elroy Face and Vernon Law.

2 other Pirates that not only had an impactful baseball career but also spent a number of years in the organization post baseball that should be considered are Kent Tekulve and Steve Blass
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

16333030250E333B392E5C0 wrote: I read where the new development that will replace Gold Parking Lot 4 across from PNC Park will have an open plaza where they will honor the numbers of Pirate greats.

Anyone else? - I think you have to look at how long they were there, and how impactful they were. Loved Candelaria,Drabek, Madlock,  and Garner, but they weren't here for the majority of their careers.

Good points on Elroy Face and Vernon Law.

2 other Pirates that not only had an impactful baseball career but also spent a number of years in the organization post baseball that should be considered are Kent Tekulve and Steve Blass

I will throw in Bob Veale.  2 time all star, 4 times in top ten in wins, 3 times in top ten in innings pitched, 5 seasons in top ten in strikeouts and led the league once.  Didn't realize until looking at baseball reference but career wise Veale was fantastic at keeping the ball in the park. [highlight] only gave up 91 home runs in 1926 innings. [/highlight]

Bob Friend among the deceased players is deserving.
Javy

Post by Javy »

those are some good numbers on Veale. I knew he led the league in K's one year (65?).

Forgot about Friend.

JR had good points on Teke and Blass. All of these guys had really good Pirate careers.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Here is my list:

I begin with the player's who have their # retired and don't have some kind of statue around PNC.

#1 Billy Meyer - Manager

#11 Paul Waner - OF

#20 Pie Traynor - 3B

#40 Danny Murtaugh - Manager

Then I add the following

Arky Vaughn - SS, 2B

Max Carey - OF

Dick Groat - SS

Manny Sanguillen - C

Ginger Beaumont - CF

Barry Bonds - LF

Dave Parker - RF

Andrew McCutchen - CF

Wilbur Cooper - RP

Bob Friend - RP

John Candelaria - LP

Bob Veale - LP

Steve Blass - RP

ElRoy Leon Face - RP

Doug Drabek - SP

Kent Tekulve - RP
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

6A4B436A41492E0 wrote: Here is my list:

I begin with the player's who have their # retired and don't have some kind of statue around PNC.

#1 Billy Meyer - Manager

#11 Paul Waner - OF

#20 Pie Traynor - 3B

#40 Danny Murtaugh - Manager

Then I add the following

Arky Vaughn - SS, 2B

Max Carey - OF

Dick Groat - SS

Manny Sanguillen - C

Ginger Beaumont - CF

Barry Bonds - LF

Dave Parker - RF

Andrew McCutchen - CF

Wilbur Cooper - RP

Bob Friend - RP

John Candelaria - LP

Bob Veale - LP

Steve Blass - RP

ElRoy Leon Face - RP

Doug Drabek - SP

Kent Tekulve - RP

That’s quite a list Possum

Maybe instead of using retired numbers, they should call it the Pirate Hall of Fame
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

The Pretty Good Hall.

The Hall of Guys We Would've Dumped If They Played These Days

The Hall of Guys Who Played For a While And Had Some Good Seasons

The Hall of Guys Who Weren't Hall of Famers  ;) 
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

586D7A7A71487A7A71767A1F0 wrote: The Pretty Good Hall.

The Hall of Guys We Would've Dumped If They Played These Days

The Hall of Guys Who Played For a While And Had Some Good Seasons

The Hall of Guys Who Weren't Hall of Famers  ;) 
And of course the Hall of Utility Infielders.