Blue Jays Roster Crunch

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Blue Jays Roster Crunch

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Just checked the Blue Jays roster which now is at 39 players. Sources indicate that they have signed George Springer, Tyler Chatwood, and Kirby Yates. There is also rumors that they are pursuing Michael Brantley. None of the above listed players are currently on the Jays 40 man roster. If and when these signings become official, roster space will be needed. I wonder if the Pirate front office group is keeping an eye on players who might need to be removed from the roster. The Jays do have 5 catchers on the roster, and one of them could be removed.
SCBucco

Blue Jays Roster Crunch

Post by SCBucco »

Randall Grichuk is the guy they want to deal. I don't think Toronto would move any good young guys.
wtmjkj@verizon.net

Blue Jays Roster Crunch

Post by wtmjkj@verizon.net »

Grichuk has 3/30 left on his deal. The Pirates could offer to take a chunk of that off their hands if they added a good prospect or two. The Bucs would have to give up something worthwhile. Not sure what needs the Jays have, but maybe Rich Rodriguez. Or maybe they could still be interested in a starter.
fjk090852-7

Blue Jays Roster Crunch

Post by fjk090852-7 »

4F4C55525352784E5D4A5142575616565D4C380 wrote: Grichuk has 3/30 left on his deal.  The Pirates could offer to take a chunk of that off their hands if they added a good prospect or two.  The Bucs would have to give up something worthwhile.  Not sure what needs the Jays have, but maybe Rich Rodriguez.  Or maybe they could still be interested in a starter.
If the Jays would eat some of the money, and add a prospect or two I think I would consider the trade for Rich Rod, or a guy like Kuhl. You could possibly flip Grichuck at the deadline if he was having a strong season.
Ecbucs

Blue Jays Roster Crunch

Post by Ecbucs »

4C40411A131A121F18071D2A0 wrote: Grichuk has 3/30 left on his deal.  The Pirates could offer to take a chunk of that off their hands if they added a good prospect or two.  The Bucs would have to give up something worthwhile.  Not sure what needs the Jays have, but maybe Rich Rodriguez.  Or maybe they could still be interested in a starter.
If the Jays would eat some of the money, and add a prospect or two  I think I would consider the trade for Rich Rod, or a guy like Kuhl. You could possibly flip Grichuck at  the deadline if he was having a strong season.

if the prospect(s) were good enough I wouldn't ask the Jays to eat any salary. Get the value in prospects. 3 years for 30 million is affordable for the Bucs and as you say, if he rebounds at all other teams will want him. Heck, he hit 30 homers in 2019 and 12 in 2020 with second highest batting average of his career and is only 29.
johnfluharty

Blue Jays Roster Crunch

Post by johnfluharty »

012726312737440 wrote: Grichuk has 3/30 left on his deal.  The Pirates could offer to take a chunk of that off their hands if they added a good prospect or two.  The Bucs would have to give up something worthwhile.  Not sure what needs the Jays have, but maybe Rich Rodriguez.  Or maybe they could still be interested in a starter.
If the Jays would eat some of the money, and add a prospect or two  I think I would consider the trade for Rich Rod, or a guy like Kuhl. You could possibly flip Grichuck at  the deadline if he was having a strong season.

if the prospect(s) were good enough I wouldn't ask the Jays to eat any salary.  Get the value in prospects.  3 years for 30 million is affordable for the Bucs and as you say, if he rebounds at all other teams will want him.  Heck, he hit 30 homers in 2019 and 12 in 2020 with second highest batting average of his career and is only 29.

I agree,  3/30 is not a problem, especially since it will probably be  at least 3 years before we might be fielding a strong team and looking to add anyone, and in that year 3 it should be a lot easier to move him ourselves.  Payroll room is something we can leverage to get back some talent by adding a bad contract to two.

SCBucco

Blue Jays Roster Crunch

Post by SCBucco »

44475E595859734556415A495C5D1D5D5647330 wrote: Grichuk has 3/30 left on his deal.  The Pirates could offer to take a chunk of that off their hands if they added a good prospect or two.  The Bucs would have to give up something worthwhile.  Not sure what needs the Jays have, but maybe Rich Rodriguez.  Or maybe they could still be interested in a starter.

For any other organization, 3/30 isn't a problem, but this is Nutting. I'm 50/50 on believing BC and his comments about none of the deals he has made were about $$$. Ironic that Marte, Bell, Musgrove were all dealt and Frazier is on the chopping block? Granted, we are talking about these dudes having trade value, but they all were consisting of being among the top 5 of the payroll. Only Polanco is there and he has no value.

It's very clear BC is unloading salary and not adding something that would help. He is in an acquire prospects mode, not trade them mode. This is why I don't see Grichuk being in his view as far as an acquisition. He would be a major upgrade though.
Bobster21

Blue Jays Roster Crunch

Post by Bobster21 »

5A4A4B7C6A6A66090 wrote: Grichuk has 3/30 left on his deal.  The Pirates could offer to take a chunk of that off their hands if they added a good prospect or two.  The Bucs would have to give up something worthwhile.  Not sure what needs the Jays have, but maybe Rich Rodriguez.  Or maybe they could still be interested in a starter.

For any other organization, 3/30 isn't a problem, but this is Nutting.  I'm 50/50 on believing BC and his comments about none of the deals he has made were about $$$.  Ironic that Marte, Bell, Musgrove were all dealt and Frazier is on the chopping block?  Granted, we are talking about these dudes having trade value, but they all were consisting of being among the top 5 of the payroll.  Only Polanco is there and he has no value.

It's very clear BC is unloading salary and not adding something that would help.  He is in an acquire prospects mode, not trade them mode.  This is why I don't see Grichuk being in his view as far as an acquisition.  He would be a major upgrade though.

They have been using their best trading chips. Marte, Bell, Musgrove. Frazier probably next. Those are the players who have performed the best over a a few years to attract attention from other teams. Naturally, such players have built up their salaries during that time with the Pirates. There isn't much market for lower paid Pirates who haven't been around long enough or performed well enough to have any trade value. Polanco is their highest paid player but has little trade value. So he's still on the team.

Others who might be attractive to other teams are Taillon, Kuhl, Brault and Rodriguez. They have all been around long enough to build up their salaries. Other GMs aren't interested in the least talented, lowest paid Pirates. So how can the Pirates use their best trade chips without reducing salary? Moran is the next highest salary after Polanco and Frazier. But I doubt he has a lot of trade value and will be more useful to the Prates now that Bell is gone.

I'm sure Nutting doesn't mind seeing the payroll get even lower. But what else can Cherington do? He can't rebuild with prospects without trading the players most attractive to other teams to acquire those prospects. And he can't trade those players without lowering the payroll. So the only way to avoid lowering payroll is to just sit on the worst roster in MLB and do nothing.

It's always fun to bash the Pirates for how cheap they are but common sense tells us that a rebuild by trading their best players will mean trading their higher paid players.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Blue Jays Roster Crunch

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

6A474A5B5C4D5A1A19280 wrote: Grichuk has 3/30 left on his deal.  The Pirates could offer to take a chunk of that off their hands if they added a good prospect or two.  The Bucs would have to give up something worthwhile.  Not sure what needs the Jays have, but maybe Rich Rodriguez.  Or maybe they could still be interested in a starter.

For any other organization, 3/30 isn't a problem, but this is Nutting.  I'm 50/50 on believing BC and his comments about none of the deals he has made were about $$$.  Ironic that Marte, Bell, Musgrove were all dealt and Frazier is on the chopping block?  Granted, we are talking about these dudes having trade value, but they all were consisting of being among the top 5 of the payroll.  Only Polanco is there and he has no value.

It's very clear BC is unloading salary and not adding something that would help.  He is in an acquire prospects mode, not trade them mode.  This is why I don't see Grichuk being in his view as far as an acquisition.  He would be a major upgrade though.

They have been using their best trading chips. Marte, Bell, Musgrove. Frazier probably next. Those are the players who have performed the best over a a few years to attract attention from other teams. Naturally, such players have built up their salaries during that time with the Pirates. There isn't much market for lower paid Pirates who haven't been around long enough or performed well enough to have any trade value. Polanco is their highest paid player but has little trade value. So he's still on the team.

Others who might be attractive to other teams are Taillon, Kuhl, Brault and Rodriguez. They have all been around long enough to build up their salaries. Other GMs aren't interested in the least talented, lowest paid Pirates. So how can the Pirates use their best trade chips without reducing salary? Moran is the next highest salary after Polanco and Frazier. But I doubt he has a lot of trade value and will be more useful to the Prates now that Bell is gone.

I'm sure Nutting doesn't mind seeing the payroll get even lower. But what else can Cherington do? He can't rebuild with prospects without trading the players most attractive to other teams to acquire those prospects. And he can't trade those players without lowering the payroll. [highlight]So the only way to avoid lowering payroll is to just sit on the worst roster in MLB and do nothing.[/highlight]

It's always fun to bash the Pirates for how cheap they are but common sense tells us that a rebuild by trading their best players will mean trading their higher paid players.

Also don't forget that Cherington can sign available players who are just as bad, or worse, than the players we already have. That will even increase payroll a bit and lead to winning three more games. Makes me want to hustle down to PNC Park this morning and get my World Series tickets. For 2046.
GreenWeenie

Blue Jays Roster Crunch

Post by GreenWeenie »

If our best trading chips are attractive clubs, what aren't they attractive to the Pirates?

Add talent to them, we'll win.

Remove them from the club, all that remains are the less marketable guys.

That is the recipe for spinning wheel on ice.

It's not like we haven't had to call the tow truck before. We should know this by now.