Could Taillon Be The Next Buc Traded

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

National writer Mark Feinsand is hearing that the next Pirate to be traded will be Jamison Taillon. A trade could happen in the next few days.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

It's a bit surprising since the history of players returning from a second Tommy John surgery AFAIK is not great.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Teams want pitching. The Yankees were reported to have an interest. I could see that happening. The demand - and the return - likely would be much better than for Frazier or one of the other pitchers. There's that element of "potential" that teams all love.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

494B515741240 wrote: Teams want pitching. The Yankees were reported to have an interest. I could see that happening. The demand  - and the return - likely would be much better than for Frazier or one of the other pitchers. There's that element of "potential" that teams all love.

I agree that Taillon's potential is what's most important. But to me the prudent thing to do is to let him pitch for a couple of months to show interested GMs that he's healthy. Then he becomes worth more. There's no way he's signing here in the future, especially if his arm is good as new.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

I figured teams would wait until he proved himself in spring training. For Taillon it is a plus to get dealt now rather than later.

Who wants to go to two different spring training camps?
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

2F796F7B746E7E75786F5D7A707C7471337E1D0 wrote: Teams want pitching. The Yankees were reported to have an interest. I could see that happening. The demand  - and the return - likely would be much better than for Frazier or one of the other pitchers. There's that element of "potential" that teams all love.

I agree that Taillon's potential is what's most important.  But to me the prudent thing to do is to let him pitch for a couple of months to show interested GMs that he's healthy.  Then he becomes worth more.  There's no way he's signing here in the future, especially if his arm is good as new. 

Agree 100%. Really pisses me off. Of all the players that have been drafted by the Bucs the last decade, I was so hopeful Taillon would be a superstar. Lot of things happen, including plain bad luck. I looked at Don Sutton’s stats this week. He pitched 23 seasons. He pitched over 200 innings 20 seasons, including 8 in a row with over 250 innings.

Whether Taillon stays or goes, I hope his arm is healthy, and he pitches great.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

0F08243325460 wrote: Teams want pitching. The Yankees were reported to have an interest. I could see that happening. The demand  - and the return - likely would be much better than for Frazier or one of the other pitchers. There's that element of "potential" that teams all love.

I agree that Taillon's potential is what's most important.  But to me the prudent thing to do is to let him pitch for a couple of months to show interested GMs that he's healthy.  Then he becomes worth more.  There's no way he's signing here in the future, especially if his arm is good as new. 

Agree 100%.  Really pisses me off.  Of all the players that have been drafted by the Bucs the last decade, I was so hopeful Taillon would be a superstar.  Lot of things happen, including plain bad luck.  I looked at Don Sutton’s stats this week.  He pitched 23 seasons.  He pitched over 200 innings 20 seasons, including 8 in a row with over 250 innings.

Whether Taillon stays or goes, I hope his arm is healthy, and he pitches great.

He's so easy to root for. With all of the bad things that were thrown at him, he always remained positive and worked hard to return. If he stays healthy for the next 8-10 years, he can still have a nice career because he's really good. Too bad he won't be here much longer for us to enjoy pitching for our guys.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Couple guys reporting that the Yankees are negotiating re Taillon.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

182B3736353D0B362D312A2D3C3037590 wrote: Couple guys reporting that the Yankees are negotiating re Taillon.

They are saying its close.

BC looking for prospects with upside. That tells me nothing in the top 10.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

So, let's look at the replay:

We  were so poor that we "earned" the #1 pick in the draft.  We used it to select Gerrit Cole.

Cole hangs around as required, with no intent to remain, so he is dealt.  The Pirates deserve a pass.  The guy wouldn't sign with the Astros.  He sure wouldn't sign with the Pirates.

While here, we tasted a level of success, then did an about face rather than capitalizing on it because we didn't fill in the necessary blanks quite well enough.  Didn't take long to take us out.

For Cole, we get Joe Musgrove and others.

Part of the reason that we are OK in dealing Cole is that we have young studs, including these Jamison Taillon and Josh Bell guys.  They're supposedly part of this third, fourth (I've lost count) generation "rebuild" after dumping McCutchen, Cole, Marte, the kitchen sink.

The "rebuild" doesn't get built.  Why not?  Because, the next thing you know, we dump Bell, Musgrove, and and possibly Taillion, too- only faster than we traded Gerrit Cole.

While all of that goes on, we look forward to selecting some other kid.....#1 in the draft.

I guess we'll get better when we subtract talent THIS time.  @@@@