Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

shedman

Pirates Sign C Hudson

Post by shedman »

Just what we need, more minor leaguers.
Ecbucs

Pirates Sign C Hudson

Post by Ecbucs »

looks like he has a career as a minor league back up.
Bobster21

Pirates Sign C Hudson

Post by Bobster21 »

It looks like Michael Perez will back up Stallings. Indy looks very weak at catcher this year. This kind of Joe Hudson ho-hum signing looks like it's intended for AAA unless the Pirates get an injury to Stallings or Perez and have to dip down for a replacement. This signing might possibly also be intended to give young AAA pitchers a veteran catcher to work with. Hudson has 10 years of minor league experience.
SCBucco

Pirates Sign C Hudson

Post by SCBucco »

Why do I feel Rock Hudson would do better?
DemDog

Pirates Sign C Hudson

Post by DemDog »

7C515C4D4A5B4C0C0F3E0 wrote: It looks like Michael Perez will back up Stallings. Indy looks very weak at catcher this year. This kind of Joe Hudson ho-hum signing looks like it's intended for AAA unless the Pirates get an injury to Stallings or Perez and have to dip down for a replacement. This signing might also be intended to give young AAA pitchers a veteran catcher to work with. Hudson has 10 years of minor league experience.

Does this move seem more of a change in development methods in the Pirates system? Not so much for making Hudson a backup MLB pitcher but helping him work with the young pitchers in AAA as you mentioned. I like this move for that reason. Come on BC tell me it's so.

Bobster21

Pirates Sign C Hudson

Post by Bobster21 »

04252D042F27400 wrote: It looks like Michael Perez will back up Stallings. Indy looks very weak at catcher this year. This kind of Joe Hudson ho-hum signing looks like it's intended for AAA unless the Pirates get an injury to Stallings or Perez and have to dip down for a replacement. This signing might also be intended to give young AAA pitchers a veteran catcher to work with. Hudson has 10 years of minor league experience.

Does this move seem more of a change in development methods in the Pirates system?  Not so much for making Hudson a backup MLB pitcher but helping him work with the young pitchers in AAA as you mentioned.  I like this move for that reason.  Come on BC tell me it's so.
I don't know that that is the reason. Just tossing it out there as a possible motive for signing Hudson. It doesn't seem like a signing intended to help the MLB roster and Indy is weak at catcher.
WildwoodDave2

Pirates Sign C Hudson

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

624445524454270 wrote: looks like he has a career as a minor league back up.

Then he will fit in very well with the bucs !
SammyKhalifa

Pirates Sign C Hudson

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7C676A6B626E610F0 wrote: Just what we need, more minor leaguers.
Someone still has to catch the ball when one of our many new pitchers throw in in the general direction of home plate
ArnoldRothstein

Pirates Sign C Hudson

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

I doubt that would have announced this separately without the major league invite, and that was probably only given because they need lots of catchers early in camp.