Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

maher.timothy20@gm

Archer re-signs

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

With the Rays
Surgnbuck

Archer re-signs

Post by Surgnbuck »

I knew it was a pipe dream to keep him, but he was my favorite on the team. Hope he does well.
Ecbucs

Archer re-signs

Post by Ecbucs »

I figure by May 15 he will say he feels better than he has in years, then will represent the Rays in the All Star game if there is one.
Bobster21

Archer re-signs

Post by Bobster21 »

The sad thing is that Archer had already been in decline for 2 years and was in the midst of his worst career year when the trade was made as if he was a stud. It would have been great if NH was aware of something that the Pirates could fix and restore Archer to his form of several years earlier. But Archer just continued his decline with the Pirates.
DemDog

Archer re-signs

Post by DemDog »

I like Archer too. What made the trade so really bad was the big haul the Rays got for Archer. The Rays GM sure pulled a fast one on NH. I'll root for him as long as he is not pitching against us.
johnfluharty

Archer re-signs

Post by johnfluharty »

64454D644F47200 wrote: I like Archer too.  What made the trade so really bad was the big haul the Rays got for Archer.  The Rays GM sure pulled a fast one on NH.  I'll root for him as long as he is not pitching against us.

If we got him for any one of those three guys I would have been happy, with a lower ceiling prospect or two. Reminds me of littlefield's last desperate move, tho he just added salary.
Bobster21

Archer re-signs

Post by Bobster21 »

5D585F59515B425F5645434E370 wrote: I like Archer too.  What made the trade so really bad was the big haul the Rays got for Archer.  The Rays GM sure pulled a fast one on NH.  I'll root for him as long as he is not pitching against us.

If we got him for any one of those three guys I would have been happy, with a lower ceiling prospect or two.  Reminds me of littlefield's last desperate move, tho he just added salary.

Exactly. Both moves appeared to be a GM's attempt to appease the fan base by acquiring a "name player" without regard for how poorly that player was doing.
maher.timothy20@gm

Archer re-signs

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

If there's any silver lining to the Archer deal (grasping at straws here, maybe) is that if we hadn't made that deal it's possible we'd still have Huntington and Hurdle and we'd be on the never-ending treadmill of chasing after 85 wins (if we get lucky).

At least with Cherington (whether he can pull it off or not), they're going all out to blow it up and rebuild it.
johnfluharty

Archer re-signs

Post by johnfluharty »

6F636A67702C766B6F6D766A7B303242656F020 wrote: If there's any silver lining to the Archer deal (grasping at straws here, maybe) is that if we hadn't made that deal it's possible we'd still have Huntington and Hurdle and we'd be on the never-ending treadmill of chasing after 85 wins (if we get lucky)

That's an excellent point. If that's what it took to get Huntington out the door then it was worth it.
JollyRoger

Archer re-signs

Post by JollyRoger »

222E272A3D613B2622203B27367D7F0F28224F0 wrote: If there's any silver lining to the Archer deal (grasping at straws here, maybe) is that if we hadn't made that deal it's possible we'd still have Huntington and Hurdle and we'd be on the never-ending treadmill of chasing after 85 wins (if we get lucky).

At least with Cherington (whether he can pull it off or not), they're going all out to blow it up and rebuild it.

Agree with you on Huntington. I like what Cherington has done.

Disagree on Hurdle. I would much rather have Hurdle at the helm than what I saw of Shelton