Players reject delayed start

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

So, NL baseball the way it’s meant to be played, and no gimmicky Little League rules for double headers and extras! Outstanding news! I may rest scribe to MLB.tv just for that reason alone, even though I probably won’t watch much as the Bucs are going to be historically bad.
GermanTownship

Post by GermanTownship »

MLB baseball is nothing but a joke. The only major league that has different rules in regard to one league having the dh, with the other league not having it. As I have written previously, the only way that baseball is going to finally correct itself is to have a salary cap, both minimum and maximum. That way, it will finally be fair and balanced in regard to all teams having a chance to remain competitive. As it stands now, the Pirates, along with many other teams will continue to be a “farm system “ for the bigger market teams. To finally correct this, shut baseball down until finally the owners and players union finally come together. I personally don’t care how long it will take, in regard to a one year stoppage or even longer. Personally, I feel that with the latest proposal that was given by the owners, and was rejected by the players, looks bad on the players. Also, Nutbag will either have to abide by a true cap, or hopefully sell. Which would be great!
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

444C4F786E4B6C630D0 wrote: So, NL baseball the way it’s meant to be played, and no gimmicky Little League rules for double headers and extras! Outstanding news! I may rest scribe to MLB.tv just for that reason alone, even though I probably won’t watch much as the Bucs are going to be historically bad.
should make Doc happy1!
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

63415649454A704B534A574C4D54240 wrote: MLB baseball is nothing but a joke. The only major league that has different rules in regard to one league having the dh, with the other league not having it. As I have written previously, the only way that baseball is going to finally correct itself is to have a salary cap, both minimum and maximum. That way, it will finally be fair and balanced in regard to all teams having a chance to remain competitive. As it stands now, the Pirates, along with many other teams will continue to be a “farm system “ for the bigger market teams. To finally correct this, [highlight]shut baseball down[/highlight] until finally the owners and players union finally come together. I personally don’t care how long it will take, in regard to a one year stoppage or even longer. Personally, I feel that with the latest proposal that was given by the owners, and was rejected by the players, looks bad on the players. Also, Nutbag will either have to abide by a true cap, or hopefully sell. Which would be great!

I would be in favor of this if the end result was equity among the franchises. I think the owners would outlast the players if this happened because they'd have a secret weapon in the enemy camp: the player's wives. There's no way those ladies will allow their husbands to go without those huge paychecks for long, forcing them to give up the wonderful life style they enjoy.

My one fear is that some franchises would be contracted and the Pirates would be one of them. There would be a big hole for many of us in our lives were that to happen.
2drfischer@gmail.c

605E5B53405858537356415205370 wrote: So, NL baseball the way it’s meant to be played, and no gimmicky Little League rules for double headers and extras! Outstanding news! I may rest scribe to MLB.tv just for that reason alone, even though I probably won’t watch much as the Bucs are going to be historically bad.
should make Doc happy1!

Very happy.
PMike

Post by PMike »

5305130708120209041321060C00080D4F02610 wrote: MLB baseball is nothing but a joke. The only major league that has different rules in regard to one league having the dh, with the other league not having it. As I have written previously, the only way that baseball is going to finally correct itself is to have a salary cap, both minimum and maximum. That way, it will finally be fair and balanced in regard to all teams having a chance to remain competitive. As it stands now, the Pirates, along with many other teams will continue to be a “farm system “ for the bigger market teams. To finally correct this, [highlight]shut baseball down[/highlight] until finally the owners and players union finally come together. I personally don’t care how long it will take, in regard to a one year stoppage or even longer. Personally, I feel that with the latest proposal that was given by the owners, and was rejected by the players, looks bad on the players. Also, Nutbag will either have to abide by a true cap, or hopefully sell. Which would be great!

I would be in favor of this if the end result was equity among the franchises.  I think the owners would outlast the players if this happened because they'd have a secret weapon in the enemy camp:  the player's wives.  There's no way those ladies will allow their husbands to go without those huge paychecks for long, forcing them to give up the wonderful life style they enjoy.

My one fear is that some franchises would be contracted and the Pirates would be one of them.  There would be a big hole for many of us in our lives were that to happen.

I can't see any larger contraction in any major sport. There is just too much money out there for contraction to happen. No one is losing money with the Pirates. I'd bet no one is losing money in MLB.

The pandemic may have changed those realities in the last year, but historically, there is no reason for contraction. Is there an assumption that money will stop flowing to MLB?
2drfischer@gmail.c

031E3A3836530 wrote: MLB baseball is nothing but a joke. The only major league that has different rules in regard to one league having the dh, with the other league not having it. As I have written previously, the only way that baseball is going to finally correct itself is to have a salary cap, both minimum and maximum. That way, it will finally be fair and balanced in regard to all teams having a chance to remain competitive. As it stands now, the Pirates, along with many other teams will continue to be a “farm system “ for the bigger market teams. To finally correct this, [highlight]shut baseball down[/highlight] until finally the owners and players union finally come together. I personally don’t care how long it will take, in regard to a one year stoppage or even longer. Personally, I feel that with the latest proposal that was given by the owners, and was rejected by the players, looks bad on the players. Also, Nutbag will either have to abide by a true cap, or hopefully sell. Which would be great!

I would be in favor of this if the end result was equity among the franchises.  I think the owners would outlast the players if this happened because they'd have a secret weapon in the enemy camp:  the player's wives.  There's no way those ladies will allow their husbands to go without those huge paychecks for long, forcing them to give up the wonderful life style they enjoy.

My one fear is that some franchises would be contracted and the Pirates would be one of them.  There would be a big hole for many of us in our lives were that to happen.

I can't see any larger contraction in any major sport.  There is just too much money out there for contraction to happen.  No one is losing money with the Pirates.  I'd bet no one is losing money in MLB.

The pandemic may have changed those realities in the last year, but historically, there is no reason for contraction.  Is there an assumption that money will stop flowing to MLB?

I agree they're all profitable, but if it's possible that fewer franchises would mean more money for those still in business, I can see the big market owners being in favor of contraction.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

3365736768726269647341666C60686D2F62010 wrote: MLB baseball is nothing but a joke. The only major league that has different rules in regard to one league having the dh, with the other league not having it. As I have written previously, the only way that baseball is going to finally correct itself is to have a salary cap, both minimum and maximum. That way, it will finally be fair and balanced in regard to all teams having a chance to remain competitive. As it stands now, the Pirates, along with many other teams will continue to be a “farm system “ for the bigger market teams. To finally correct this, [highlight]shut baseball down[/highlight] until finally the owners and players union finally come together. I personally don’t care how long it will take, in regard to a one year stoppage or even longer. Personally, I feel that with the latest proposal that was given by the owners, and was rejected by the players, looks bad on the players. Also, Nutbag will either have to abide by a true cap, or hopefully sell. Which would be great!

I can't see any larger contraction in any major sport.  There is just too much money out there for contraction to happen.  No one is losing money with the Pirates.  I'd bet no one is losing money in MLB.

The pandemic may have changed those realities in the last year, but historically, there is no reason for contraction.  Is there an assumption that money will stop flowing to MLB?

I agree they're all profitable, but if it's possible that fewer franchises would mean more money for those still in business, I can see the big market owners being in favor of contraction.

Let's say MLB eliminates some teams.  Who compensates the contracted owners?  What about a player dispersal draft?  Not every player on the contracted teams is going to get an MLB contract.  How will that affect the gov'ts anti-trust waiver for MLB?

On the other hand, could MLB force penny-pinching owners to sell their franchise even at the cost of moving a team like the Pirates out of their current cities? And how do the new team owners of teams that are moved compensate the city they moved from for stadium leases etc?
2drfischer@gmail.c

09282009222A4D0 wrote: MLB baseball is nothing but a joke. The only major league that has different rules in regard to one league having the dh, with the other league not having it. As I have written previously, the only way that baseball is going to finally correct itself is to have a salary cap, both minimum and maximum. That way, it will finally be fair and balanced in regard to all teams having a chance to remain competitive. As it stands now, the Pirates, along with many other teams will continue to be a “farm system “ for the bigger market teams. To finally correct this, [highlight]shut baseball down[/highlight] until finally the owners and players union finally come together. I personally don’t care how long it will take, in regard to a one year stoppage or even longer. Personally, I feel that with the latest proposal that was given by the owners, and was rejected by the players, looks bad on the players. Also, Nutbag will either have to abide by a true cap, or hopefully sell. Which would be great!

Let's say MLB eliminates some teams.  Who compensates the contracted owners?  What about a player dispersal draft?  Not every player on the contracted teams is going to get an MLB contract.  How will that affect the gov'ts anti-trust waiver for MLB?

On the other hand, could MLB force penny-pinching owners to sell their franchise even at the cost of moving a team like the Pirates out of their current cities?  And how do the new team owners of teams that are moved compensate the city they moved from for stadium leases etc?

The answers to those questions are beyond my scope, Possum. What I do know is, that when it comes to money among some people, greed drives them to want more or all of what someone else has. We see it with the CBA negotiations all the time. If the 28 wealthiest owners thought it was worth it to them to pay off the two poorest franchise owners to fold, in order to have more wealth and power, I can see them going ahead with contraction.

As for compensating the two cities for their ball park expenditures, would they promise to place Triple teams in those cities to soften the blow? It might work in cities like Tampa and Miami where drawing fans is difficult at best.

A player dispersal draft would indeed reduce the number of major leaguers but I can see the owners putting a positive spin to that by stating they were making MLB more competitive for the benefit of the fans.

As for the anti-trust exemption, I wouldn't imagine Congress getting involved. Too many wealthy guys are making too much money within a great American institution. I don't think they'd touch that.