Article on Cherington's minor moves.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

https://triblive.com/sports/kevin-gorma ... tatus-quo/

We are all well aware that BC has made no significant additions this off season. But if anyone is interested in what has been done, this Trib article discusses it. Much of it is addition by subtraction. As far as the unheralded additions, it remains to be seen if BC has an eye for talent or is just throwing mud at the wall to see if anything sticks.
Javy

Post by Javy »

I read the article as well. While the majority of the pick-ups are minor league deals, he acquired 2 of the Dbacks top prospects for Marte. How they will impact remains to be seen. Same as the Bell deal. Throw enough stuff against the wall and some will stick. Neal never threw enough against the wall I guess.

While opinions vary on the returns, Marte got moved by Arizona for less than what they gave up according to many reports.

As far as Bell? while I, like many others was wowed by him in the 1st half of '19, when did he ever have a consistent season, start to finish? And, I read most of everyone's comments about his fielding deficiencies. Hope he does well in Washington, and they go somewhere with him..he wasn't going to stay in Pittsburgh anyway, so maybe one of the pitchers will be there when they are ready to win.

Even with both of those guys last year, the only thing to change would have been the Bucs spot in this years draft. Would 1 or 2 more wins have been worth that?

When you're that bad, I'd rather pick at the top.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

456E79760F0 wrote: I read the article as well. While the majority of the pick-ups are minor league deals, he acquired 2 of the Dbacks top prospects for Marte. How they will impact remains to be seen. Same as the Bell deal. Throw enough stuff against the wall and some will stick. Neal never threw enough against the wall I guess.

While opinions vary on the returns, Marte got moved by Arizona for less than what they gave up according to many reports.

As far as Bell? while I, like many others was wowed by him in the 1st half of '19, when did he ever have a consistent season, start to finish? And, I read most of everyone's comments about his fielding deficiencies. Hope he does well in Washington, and they go somewhere with him..he wasn't going to stay in Pittsburgh anyway, so maybe one of the pitchers will be there when they are ready to win.

Even with both of those guys last year, the only thing to change would have been the Bucs spot in this years draft. Would 1 or 2 more wins have been worth that?

Would 1 or 2 wins have been worth that? You will have to ask Weenie. he is the expert !! ;D
wtmjkj@verizon.net

Post by wtmjkj@verizon.net »

I had to laugh reading that article. I'd seen a comment on it somewhere, referring to shaking up the status quo by maintaining the status quo. I'm not sure how exchanging eleventy billion random waiver claims for eleventy billion other random waiver claims is shaking up the status quo.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Welcome aboard WTM. My nomination for POTD.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

754B4E46554D4D466643544710220 wrote: I read the article as well. While the majority of the pick-ups are minor league deals, he acquired 2 of the Dbacks top prospects for Marte. How they will impact remains to be seen. Same as the Bell deal. Throw enough stuff against the wall and some will stick. Neal never threw enough against the wall I guess.

Would 1 or 2 wins have been worth that? You will have to ask Weenie. he is the expert !! ;D

You're the HOF coach, not me.  You're the expert.  If you were able to win an extra game or two, would you gladly take them?

I bet that the LA Dodgers GM would take them.

The Pirates?  No.  We're so good at .317 and dead last that we'd thumb our nose at them.

The only franchises that wouldn't take an extra win or two are franchises that couldn't care less about winning.  Why is that?  Because they care more about other things- like, making money.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

71726B6C6D6C467063746F7C696828686372060 wrote: I had to laugh reading that article.  I'd seen a comment on it somewhere, referring to shaking up the status quo by maintaining the status quo.  I'm not sure how exchanging eleventy billion random waiver claims for eleventy billion other random waiver claims is shaking up the status quo.

I echo Weenies sentiments!
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

566374747F4674747F7874110 wrote: I read the article as well. While the majority of the pick-ups are minor league deals, he acquired 2 of the Dbacks top prospects for Marte. How they will impact remains to be seen. Same as the Bell deal. Throw enough stuff against the wall and some will stick. Neal never threw enough against the wall I guess.

You're the HOF coach, not me.  You're the expert.  If you were able to win an extra game or two, would you gladly take them?

The Pirates?  No.  We're so good at .317 and dead last that we'd thumb our nose at them.

The only franchises that wouldn't take an extra win or two are franchises that couldn't care less about winning.  Why is that?  Because they care more about other things- like, making money.

As long ab the win came from Wildwood Catholic ;D
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

I know it's unfathomable for most of you to see the genius of BC's plan. Let me tell you, he put the ABLE in unfathomable.

Just line up, get that vaccine, and let the games begin. When those few hundreds turn into a couple thousands, when those couple thousands turn into sell outs, you'll be wishing you were there all along.

I know it's going to happen because I was watching a documentary on television, I didn't stay awake till the end, but there was this attractive woman with an invisible airplane, and this guy who was able to grant everyone's wish, so I made a wish for all of us. I don't know what the documentary was about, but you'll see.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1F2A3D3D360F3D3D36313D580 wrote: I read the article as well. While the majority of the pick-ups are minor league deals, he acquired 2 of the Dbacks top prospects for Marte. How they will impact remains to be seen. Same as the Bell deal. Throw enough stuff against the wall and some will stick. Neal never threw enough against the wall I guess.

I suspect that Nutting and Cherington are at cross purposes. Clearly, Nutting prefers profits to wins. Cherington was a GM for the big market Red Sox and VP of baseball operations for Toronto. I can't believe he took the Pirates job because he wanted to work in the slums of MLB. More likely, Nutting fed him a load of BS about believing BC could succeed where NH failed in building a winner from the ground up and Cherington accepted the challenge of trying to do that with minimal financial support. After 1 really messed up year for all of MLB, he probably still thinks it's possible.

But if he has any chance whatsoever to succeed (and that may be very unlikely due to Nutting) it won't be quick and it won't be by holding onto a few veterans to win 1 or 2 more games while the talent level of the organization is uninspiring. A competitive team wants those 1 or 2 more wins. It could make a difference. Obviously Cherington is willing to lower the talent level at the MLB level to try to raise it at lower levels because he has nothing to lose. They already suck with what they've got. Fielding a winning team right now under Nutting is not remotely possible. So there's really not much else BC can do with little money to spend, little talent to trade, and teams generally unwilling to part with upper echelon prospects. This organization is at rock bottom.

But as I said earlier, it remains to be seen if BC will be any better at this approach than NH was. Are these countless unknowns he's adding to the organization worth anything? Is he just exchanging one group of random waiver claims for another as WTM noted? Or does he have a better eye for raw talent than NH had? Only time will tell. But I think that if BC is just throwing mud against the wall to see what sticks because that's the best option available to him under Nutting's financial constraints, then BC will quickly tire of working for Nutting and quit in a couple years.