40-Man Crunch Is Coming

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SyrBucco

40-Man Crunch Is Coming

Post by SyrBucco »

We have a full 40-man, and we'd already be over the limit if we didn't have 3 pitchers on the 60-Day DL. So here's some math I expect we'll see in the next couple of weeks:

Add MiLB FA #1:

Todd Frazier

Frazier seemed like a sensible platoon partner for Colin Moran when the signing was announced, and he's reinforced that notion throughout ST this far. We need power vs. lefty starters. A no brainer.

DFA Current 40-Man #1:

Todd Poppen

Poppen seems like a James Marvel-type talent, relying on near-perfect control to get MLB batters out. If he gets picked up I'll be surprised.

Add MiLB FA #2:

Chasen Shreve

Shreve had one awful outing but has otherwise been solid, and we are painfully short of lefty relievers.

DFA Current 40-Man #2:

Tyler Bashlor

I haven't seen Bashlor pitch yet, and since other relievers have been doing a good job, Bashlor's MLB track record makes him the logical pick, good stuff or not.

Add MiLB FA #3:

When Tony Wolters was signed, I fully expected him to become our backup catcher. When Brian Goodwin was signed, I fully expected him to either start or be a frequently used 4th outfielder. But now?

I'm not sure that either one of these guys will make the team out of Bradenton. I think Miguel Perez has outplayed Wolters in both hitting and fielding thus far in ST. If Wolters got picked up, Joe Hudson has shown enough to serve as a 3rd catcher.

The Dustin Fowler pickup has complicated Goodwin's chances. Call it a cop-out but I think the 4th OF spot will go down to the end of ST. So, if there is one:

Add MiLB FA #3:

Brian Goodwin

DFA Current 40-Man #3:

Dustin Fowler

Add MiLB FA #4:

Tony Wolters

Catchers get hurt more than any position but pitcher. If Stallings or Perez get hurt in ST, a healthy Wolters will make the club.

DFA Current 40-Man #4:

Mike Feliz

Somebody's got to go, and even though I don't want to give Feliz away for nothing, if the Pirates don't trade away one of their veteran relievers for an A-league prospect, that's what will happen.

Add MiLB FA #5:

Wilmer Difo

Difo has been all that he was cracked up to be: a versatile glove-first vet who would serve as a 1-man taxi squad or a nice end of the roster bench guy. But, barring injury to another position player, I think Difo will have to bide his time at AAA.

DFA Current 40-Man #5:

Highly doubtful and trade dependant.
fjk090852-7

40-Man Crunch Is Coming

Post by fjk090852-7 »

1F353E0E392F2F234C0 wrote: We have a full 40-man, and we'd already be over the limit if we didn't have 3 pitchers on the 60-Day DL. So here's some math I expect we'll see in the next couple of weeks:

Add MiLB FA #1:

Todd Frazier

Frazier seemed like a sensible platoon partner for Colin Moran when the signing was announced, and he's reinforced that notion throughout ST this far. We need power vs. lefty starters. A no brainer.

DFA Current 40-Man #1:

Todd Poppen

Poppen seems like a James Marvel-type talent, relying on near-perfect control to get MLB batters out. If he gets picked up I'll be surprised.

Add MiLB FA #2:

Chasen Shreve

Shreve had one awful outing but has otherwise been solid, and we are painfully short of lefty relievers.

DFA Current 40-Man #2:

Tyler Bashlor

I haven't seen Bashlor pitch yet, and since other relievers have been doing a good job, Bashlor's MLB track record makes him the logical pick, good stuff or not.

Add MiLB FA #3:

When Tony Wolters was signed, I fully expected him to become our backup catcher. When Brian Goodwin was signed, I fully expected him to either start or be a frequently used 4th outfielder. But now?

I'm not sure that either one of these guys will make the team out of Bradenton. I think Miguel Perez has outplayed Wolters in both hitting and fielding thus far in ST. If Wolters got picked up, Joe Hudson has shown enough to serve as a 3rd catcher.

The Dustin Fowler pickup has complicated Goodwin's chances. Call it a cop-out but I think the 4th OF spot will go down to the end of ST. So, if there is one:

Add MiLB FA #3:

Brian Goodwin

DFA Current 40-Man #3:

Dustin Fowler

Add MiLB FA #4:

Tony Wolters

Catchers get hurt more than any position but pitcher. If Stallings or Perez get hurt in ST, a healthy Wolters will make the club.

DFA Current 40-Man #4:

Mike Feliz

Somebody's got to go, and even though I don't want to give Feliz away for nothing, if the Pirates don't trade away one of their veteran relievers for an A-league prospect, that's what will happen.

Add MiLB FA #5:

Wilmer Difo

Difo has been all that he was cracked up to be: a versatile glove-first vet who would serve as a 1-man taxi squad or a nice end of the roster bench guy. But, barring injury to another position player, I think Difo will have to bide his time at AAA.

DFA Current 40-Man #5:

Highly doubtful and trade dependant.
I think the majority of your roster moves will actually happen. Since Alford was injured in today’s game , any long term DL could present an opportunity for both Goodwin and Fowler to make the Opening Day roster. If Alford does not make the Opening Day roster due to injury, I think Fowler will be the fourth outfielder, and Goodwin either be on the taxi squad or released. I finally think that both Feliz and Crick will be traded or designated.
BellevueBuc

40-Man Crunch Is Coming

Post by BellevueBuc »

The only player with an opt out seems to be Todd Frazier, which does give the Pirates more time to decide what to do with these guys. I assume non roster players can be on the Taxi squad? Shreve could as well, but pretty easy to DFA Poppen and Bashlor, they have similar players available.
mouse

40-Man Crunch Is Coming

Post by mouse »

A number of people got sent to the minors today. Apparently if someone on the 40-man roster is injured starting tomorrow they stay on the major league roster, time-wise, etc.
SyrBucco

40-Man Crunch Is Coming

Post by SyrBucco »

21060F0F06151606211600630 wrote: The only player with an opt out seems to be Todd Frazier, which does give the Pirates more time to decide what to do with these guys. I assume non roster players can be on the Taxi squad? Shreve could as well, but pretty easy to DFA Poppen and Bashlor, they have similar players available.
Bellevue, I am NOT assuming non roster players can be on the taxi squad. By definition, you have to be on the roster to play in a game. So what good would it do to have guys on the taxi squad that can't play? There would have to be some kind of special extra-man waiver. I haven't heard about it.
Bobster21

40-Man Crunch Is Coming

Post by Bobster21 »

64667C7A6C090 wrote: A number of people got sent to the minors today. Apparently if someone on the 40-man roster is injured starting tomorrow they stay on the major league roster, time-wise, etc.
That's right. For example if Priester had stuck around until tomorrow and then got hurt and missed the entire season he would have to be kept on the IL all season at the minimum MLB salary. Teams don't want to pay players who had no chance to go north. So most teams will be cutting down yesterday and today. Those who survive this cut at least have a remote chance to make the team so it's worth the $$$ risk to the team if they get hurt.
fjk090852-7

40-Man Crunch Is Coming

Post by fjk090852-7 »

755F546453454549260 wrote: The only player with an opt out seems to be Todd Frazier, which does give the Pirates more time to decide what to do with these guys. I assume non roster players can be on the Taxi squad? Shreve could as well, but pretty easy to DFA Poppen and Bashlor, they have similar players available.
Bellevue, I am NOT assuming non roster players can be on the taxi squad. By definition, you have to be on the roster to play in a game. So what good would it do to have guys on the taxi squad that can't play? There would have to be some kind of special extra-man waiver. I haven't heard about it.

I don’t know the taxi squad rules, but I think a non roster player could be on the taxi squad. I am sure one of the Pirates catchers is going to be on it. If a player gets injured a team will have to make a roster move to put the taxi squad player on the 26 man roster as well as the 40 man. A player such as Difo would be a player the team may want on the taxi squad. He can play both infield and outfield if a player got injured.