Thoughts On Phil Evans

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Thoughts On Phil Evans

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Prior to his collision with Gregory Polanco, Phil Evans was holding his own as a important piece of the Pirate bench. I think the Pirates hope that he is a player such as Justin Turner, or Max Muncy who’s teams gave up on him, and upon coming to the Dodgers became very exceptional players. If this happened with Evans that would add lineup protection for players like Hayes, and Moran.
WildwoodDave2

Thoughts On Phil Evans

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

4B47461D141D15181F001A2D0 wrote: Prior to his collision  with Gregory Polanco, Phil Evans was holding his own as a important piece of the Pirate bench. I think the Pirates hope that he is a player such as Justin Turner, or Max Muncy who’s teams gave up on him, and upon coming to the Dodgers became very exceptional players. If this happened with Evans that would add lineup protection for players like Hayes, and Moran.

I checked him out. In ten seasons he has only had 94 Major

League AB. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.
Bobster21

Thoughts On Phil Evans

Post by Bobster21 »

He's hit fairly well in AA and AAA. His MLB hitting is too small of a sample size to make conclusions but it's encouraging. He's never really had a position to call his own and has been tried at just about all of them. So I suspect defense is a problem. Beggars can't be choosers so, if he hits, the Pirates would probably make him a starter wherever they could plug him in.
ArnoldRothstein

Thoughts On Phil Evans

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Evans has a minor league line of .264/.331/.388. His Triple A line looks better: .276/.351/.454, but about 60% of his Triple A at-bats were with Las Vegas. There's a lot of air to let out of Las Vegas stats - Andy LaRoche hit .300 with them. Delwyn Young played two full season there, hit about like Evans the first time, then rung up a .330 season.
WildwoodDave2

Thoughts On Phil Evans

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

063529282B231528332F3433222E29470 wrote: Evans has a minor league line of .264/.331/.388. His Triple A line looks better: .276/.351/.454, but about 60% of his Triple A at-bats were with Las Vegas.  There's a lot of air to let out of Las Vegas stats - Andy LaRoche hit .300 with them. Delwyn Young played two full season there, hit about like Evans the first time, then rung up a .330 season.
Your Las Vegas stats make sense
ChitownBucco

Thoughts On Phil Evans

Post by ChitownBucco »

how do his Vegas numbers compare to his Iowa Cubs Stint?
Bobster21

Thoughts On Phil Evans

Post by Bobster21 »

547F7E637860795562747478170 wrote: how do his Vegas numbers compare to his Iowa Cubs Stint?
Better with Iowa. Coincidently he had the same # of ABs (466) with LV in 2017 and Iowa in 2019. And his 2019 Iowa stats were all better than his 2017 LV stats.
BellevueBuc

Thoughts On Phil Evans

Post by BellevueBuc »

Very unlikely Evans turns into a guy like Turner or Muncy, he does not have anywhere close to the power those guys have.

Evans can be a very solid and versatile utility player. No way he would be lineup protection. Best case I think would be a Kevin Newman 2019 season with less speed. Guessing that type of production with less power, so about average bat, which is great for a utility guy like him.

I also do not think Moran is a player any team will care much about. League average bat, benefited from a hot run and juiced balls last year for his "career" year. Best outcome for Moran would be a hot first half and they can trade him for something. More hopefully for Reynolds.
fjk090852-7

Thoughts On Phil Evans

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I know many fans don’t agree, but I would continue to play Phil Evans until he goes into an extended slump. He now has two homers for the season, and looking back at his season in 2020 before the injury he has been a very good hitter. Who knows he my end up being an important part of the future.
Surgnbuck

Thoughts On Phil Evans

Post by Surgnbuck »

414D4C171E171F12150A10270 wrote: Prior to his collision  with Gregory Polanco, Phil Evans was holding his own as a important piece of the Pirate bench. I think the Pirates hope that he is a player such as Justin Turner, or Max Muncy who’s teams gave up on him, and upon coming to the Dodgers became very exceptional players. If this happened with Evans that would add lineup protection for players like Hayes, and Moran.

They mentioned the same exact thing, and the same two players on the broadcast tonight.

You sir, are a steely eyed missile man!