Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

ArnoldRothstein

RIP Ray Miller

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

He just turned 76 last Friday. RIP.
2drfischer@gmail.c

RIP Ray Miller

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

Sad news. He leaves a memorable legacy with his three rules for pitching that we older Pirates fans all know. It sure simplified things.
bucs607179

RIP Ray Miller

Post by bucs607179 »

A good BUC.
WildwoodDave2

RIP Ray Miller

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

1A293534373F09342F33282F3E32355B0 wrote: He just turned 76 last Friday. RIP.
Good Guy and Good coach
DemDog

RIP Ray Miller

Post by DemDog »

Walkie was almost in tears as he talked about Miller and what he was like as coach and mentor during his years as a pitcher with the Bucs.
GnatsEyelash

RIP Ray Miller

Post by GnatsEyelash »

I ran into Ray after Tim Wakefield baffled the Braves when he first came up. "Don't ask me about what coaching I give him. I don't know how to coach a knuckleballer. But I will tell you, when I managed, if I saw another team was pitching one of 'em against us, I would take guys out of the lineup. They'd be screwed up for a week."

I was emcee at a banquet where Ray and Leo Mazzone were scheduled to speak, and Leo cancelled because he needed to attend a banquet honoring Greg McMichael. Leo sent a message that included some heavy innings total for McMichael that I thought was a typo, so I asked Ray. "I never really paid too much attention to innings. I'd ask a guy how he felt, and I trusted he would be honest."

He really was a good guy. They were lucky to have him in Baltimore and we were lucky to have him in Pittsburgh.

RIP Rabbit.
BenM

RIP Ray Miller

Post by BenM »

2E786E7A756F7F74796E5C7B717D7570327F1C0 wrote: Sad news.  He leaves a memorable legacy with his three rules for pitching that we older Pirates fans all know.  It sure simplified things.

I wanted one of those t shirts he had printed up with the rules on it so bad.
2drfischer@gmail.c

RIP Ray Miller

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

5A7D7655180 wrote: Sad news.  He leaves a memorable legacy with his three rules for pitching that we older Pirates fans all know.  It sure simplified things.

I wanted one of those t shirts he had printed up with the rules on it so bad.

HAHA, I did, too. I imagine every coach, from the big leagues to Little League, would've loved to have one to wear to games so his pitcher always got the message.