Frazier

Post by Bobster21 »

His ranking in NL:

Hits: 1st

BA: 3rd

Singles: 3rd

2Bs: 4th

3Bs: 2nd

Frazier is a "professional hitter" type. I'm sure any team would want him and he's versatile enough to find a spot even if they don't have a need at 2B.

He's now a 6 year veteran and the type of player we always think the Pirates should add--a productive veteran who younger players could learn from.

He's a FA in 2023. If they trade him I hope they get a lot for him. But I would try to see if he would sign an extension into his FA years. Even with Nick Gonzalez not far off, Frazier could move to the OF or a super utility role.
GreenWeenie

Frazier

Post by GreenWeenie »

He hits remotely.  He hits everywhere.  ;)

I agree.  I'd try to lock him up, and Gonzalez can try to keep up, AFAIAC.

They only reason I'd support dealing Frazier is if he has no intent to stay.  Aside from that, we should build around talent, and let other clubs fend for themselves, IMO.
rucker59@gmail.com

Frazier

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Agree 100%. Don't just keep him through the trade deadline, but extend into FA years. I'm thinking 23, 24 and 25 will be competive years for the Pirates. Her would be solid piece to the team.

The odds of Adam being extended? Probably 0%.
Bobster21

Frazier

Post by Bobster21 »

5354424A4453141861464C40484D0F424E4C210 wrote: Agree 100%.  Don't just keep him through the trade deadline, but extend into FA years.  I'm thinking 23, 24 and 25 will be competive years for the Pirates.  Her would be solid piece to the team.

The odds of Adam being extended?  Probably 0%.
As much as I would like them to keep him, I can't think of any reason Frazier would choose to stay.
Surgnbuck

Frazier

Post by Surgnbuck »

Frazier is right now hitting around 40 points higher than his career average in BA, OBP, and SLG and his OPS is 90 points higher than his career average.

Which one is the real Adam Frazier?

We're only half way through May. I don't think Frazier has as much value as some people think he does. But, if he's going to get traded, it would presumably be to a contender. So who would benefit from Frazier?

Boston- Currently have Marwin Gonzalez on a 1 year deal. He was a power hitting 2nd baseman, but he isn't hitting anything, he didn't last year either. His best season was Houston's bucket banging 2017. They could easily eat 1.5 million if they couldn't trade him. So Boston is a real possibility.

NYY- Rougned Odor is on the 10 day IL. They are using LeMahieu and Tyler Wade in his absence. LeMahieu is listed as their first baseman. Odor signed a big contract with Texas, and was DFA. They are on the hook for his 21 and 22 salary and luxury cap hit. If you think Frazier is a sure thing to be traded, this might very well be the best looking place for him to land.

Tor- The have Marcus Semien. Frazier won't be going here.

TB-They have Brandon Lowe, who is club controlled through 2026 and though his numbers are down right now, he has been superior to Frazier.

CWS-Nick Madrigal. I believe he's a rookie. His numbers aren't awful, his OBP is what separates him and Frazier the most. Not going here.

CLEV- Cesar Hernandez. On a 2 year deal, 2022 is a club option with no buyout. He's 5 million this year. Cleveland is cost control happy like the Bucs, but they can't save any money as Hernandez is making 700,000 more than Frazier and the Bucs would most certainly want that taken care of, along with prospects. Not happening.

Oak- Jed Lowrie. Frazier will not be going here.

Hou-Jose Altuve. Moving on....

Mets- Jeff McNeil. Let's just keep moving

ATL- Ozzie Albies. Next...

Phil- Jean Segura. And we're walking.....

StL- Tommy Edman. Basically the same player, with control till 2025. Cards will certainly stick with the newer model.

CHC-David Bote. Was extended 5/15 with options for 25/26. Nothing to see here.

MIL- Kolten Wong. Brewers signed him to a 2/18. Similar career numbers. Nope.

CIN- Jonathan India. His rookie season, and is doing fairly well. Uh uh.

SF-Wilmer Flores/Tommy LaStella. LaStella is cost controlled through 2023, Flores is on a one year deal. This isn't changing.

SD- Jake Cronenworth. No way.

LAD- Gavin Lux. Another rookie. Add them to the list of possibilites.

Which leaves only Boston, NYY, and the Dodgers as possible trade targets. Now....what do they have to offer? And would Frazier be that "missing piece" that puts them to the top of WS contender?

I'm betting if Frazier is moved, it will be in the offseason, or if there is a season ending injury on a contender's roster.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Frazier

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

6B4D4A5F565A4D5B53380 wrote: Frazier is right now hitting around 40 points higher than his career average in BA, OBP, and SLG  and his OPS is 90 points higher than his career average.

We're only half way through May. I don't think Frazier has as much value as some people think he does. But, if he's going to get traded, it would presumably be to a contender. So who would benefit from Frazier?

Boston- Currently have Marwin Gonzalez on a 1 year deal. He was a power hitting 2nd baseman, but he isn't hitting anything, he didn't last year either. His best season was Houston's bucket banging 2017. They could easily eat 1.5 million if they couldn't trade him. So Boston is a real possibility.

NYY- Rougned Odor is on the 10 day IL. They are using LeMahieu and Tyler Wade in his absence. LeMahieu is listed as their first baseman. Odor signed a big contract with Texas, and was DFA. They are on the hook for his 21 and 22 salary and luxury cap hit. If you think Frazier is a sure thing to be traded, this might very well be the best looking place for him to land.

TB-They have Brandon Lowe, who is club controlled through 2026 and though his numbers are down right now, he has been superior to Frazier.

CWS-Nick Madrigal. I believe he's a rookie. His numbers aren't awful, his OBP is what separates him and Frazier the most. Not going here.

CLEV- Cesar Hernandez. On a 2 year deal, 2022 is a club option with no buyout. He's 5 million this year. Cleveland is cost control happy like the Bucs, but they can't save any money as Hernandez is making 700,000 more than Frazier and the Bucs would most certainly want that taken care of, along with prospects. Not happening.

Oak- Jed Lowrie.  Frazier will not be going here.

StL- Tommy Edman. Basically the same player, with control till 2025. Cards will certainly stick with the newer model.

SF-Wilmer Flores/Tommy LaStella. LaStella is cost controlled through 2023, Flores is on a one year deal. This isn't changing.

Which leaves only Boston, NYY, and the Dodgers as possible trade targets. Now....what do they have to offer? And would Frazier be that "missing piece" that puts them to the top of WS contender?

I'm betting if Frazier is moved, it will be in the offseason, or if there is a season ending injury on a contender's roster.

Nice analysis, Surge. If it's true that the Yankees are seriously pursuing Trevor Story, Frazier won't be on their radar if that deal is consummated. They may even be looking to trade away an infielder if they can sign Story to something long term. Boston would then seem to make the most sense to me.
Bobster21

Frazier

Post by Bobster21 »

6A4C4B5E575B4C5A52390 wrote: Frazier is right now hitting around 40 points higher than his career average in BA, OBP, and SLG  and his OPS is 90 points higher than his career average.

Frazier could also play 3B or OF. So a team trading for him wouldn't necessarily be looking to replace their 2b man. He could also fill a super utility role. JHay was essentially a regular in the Pirate lineup in 2014-15 without having a position to call his own.
DemDog

Frazier

Post by DemDog »

5E6B7C7C774E7C7C77707C190 wrote: He hits remotely.  He hits everywhere.  ;)

They only reason I'd support dealing Frazier is if he has no intent to stay.  Aside from that, we should build around talent, and let other clubs fend for themselves, IMO.

Give him a Pooplanco type deal so when he doesn't live up to what he is doing this year, you and shed can blame bloody murder about BC not trading him when he had more value! :D :D :D :D
maher.timothy20@gm

Frazier

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

567077626B6770666E050 wrote: Frazier is right now hitting around 40 points higher than his career average in BA, OBP, and SLG  and his OPS is 90 points higher than his career average.

Man, this makes me think they should give him some starts in the outfield to remind everybody that he can play out there, too.

And let's trade him, please. He's on a great roll, good for him. But he's been streaky as hell in the past. And he'll be 31 by the time this team is a contender again.
GreenWeenie

Frazier

Post by GreenWeenie »

75545C755E56310 wrote: He hits remotely.  He hits everywhere.  ;)

Give him a Pooplanco type deal so when he doesn't live up to what he is doing this year, you and shed can blame bloody murder about BC not trading him when he had more value!  :D :D :D :D

Possum, I am nominating you for the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.

I have remained much quieter on anything related to Polanco than you, Doc, Bob, and quite a few others (1) and (2) I didn't write anything at all about terms.

Though Todd Frazier was a signing i didn't think was a good move, I still didn't blast Cherington for it.

But, yeah, go ahead and take your shots.