HR shortage

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

HR shortage

Post by Bobster21 »

The Pirates are last in MLB with 26 HRs. Atl is first with 62. 14 teams have 50 or more. The Pirate leaders are Moran and Evans with 4. And Moran hasn't played since May 8 and Evans hasn't played since May 12. Our team leaders have only 4 more HRs than Luis Olviedo. ;)
GermanTownship

HR shortage

Post by GermanTownship »

Look at the current lineup that they have. It’s a joke! With Hayes, Moran, and Evans out, basically what chance do they have. They have to basically hold the opposition to two runs or less in order to have a chance to win. Other than Reynolds, Stallings, and Frazier, the rest of the lineup is terrible. To be only six games under is a credit the the pitching.
mouse

HR shortage

Post by mouse »

Bill Veeck (owner of the St. Louis Browns at the time, I believe it was) had an excellent solution to this. Before everything about stadiums had to be approved by MLB before the season, it occurred to him that it would be advantageous to move the outfield fences in when a light-hitting team came to town and move them out when a slugging team was in. It amazed him that no one noticed. His really brilliant idea (although only good for part of one inning) was to take that strategy further by moving the fences in when his team was at bat and out again when the other guys were up. This got noticed immediately, as you might expect, but still counts as a great idea, and one that would help the Pirates. (See Veeck--as in Wreck, by Bill Veeck, etc).
BenM

HR shortage

Post by BenM »

35372D2B3D580 wrote: Bill Veeck (owner of the St. Louis Browns at the time, I believe it was) had an excellent solution to this. Before everything about stadiums had to be approved by MLB before the season, it occurred to him that it would be advantageous to move the outfield fences in when a light-hitting team came to town and move them out when a slugging team was in. It amazed him that no one noticed. His really brilliant idea (although only good for part of one inning) was to take that strategy further by moving the fences in when his team was at bat and out again when the other guys were up. This got noticed immediately, as you might expect, but still counts as a great idea, and one that would help the Pirates. (See Veeck--as in Wreck, by Bill Veeck, etc).

I'd never heard that story before!

Veeck really was one of the most imaginative businessmen ever. Not just in baseball.
Javy

HR shortage

Post by Javy »

684F44672A0 wrote: Bill Veeck (owner of the St. Louis Browns at the time, I believe it was) had an excellent solution to this. Before everything about stadiums had to be approved by MLB before the season, it occurred to him that it would be advantageous to move the outfield fences in when a light-hitting team came to town and move them out when a slugging team was in. It amazed him that no one noticed. His really brilliant idea (although only good for part of one inning) was to take that strategy further by moving the fences in when his team was at bat and out again when the other guys were up. This got noticed immediately, as you might expect, but still counts as a great idea, and one that would help the Pirates. (See Veeck--as in Wreck, by Bill Veeck, etc).

Veeck really was one of the most imaginative businessmen ever. Not just in baseball.

The Eddie Gaedel gimmick was hilarious too. MLB shut that one down real quick.

Disco Demolition night 'backfired' on him though!
WildwoodDave2

HR shortage

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

587578696E7F68282B1A0 wrote: The Pirates are last in MLB with 26 HRs. Atl is first with 62. 14 teams have 50 or more. The Pirate leaders are Moran and Evans with 4. And Moran hasn't played since May 8 and Evans hasn't played since May 12. Our team leaders have only 4 more HRs than Luis Olviedo.  ;)
it is amazing that they have won 17 games
Ecbucs

HR shortage

Post by Ecbucs »

2902151A630 wrote: Bill Veeck (owner of the St. Louis Browns at the time, I believe it was) had an excellent solution to this. Before everything about stadiums had to be approved by MLB before the season, it occurred to him that it would be advantageous to move the outfield fences in when a light-hitting team came to town and move them out when a slugging team was in. It amazed him that no one noticed. His really brilliant idea (although only good for part of one inning) was to take that strategy further by moving the fences in when his team was at bat and out again when the other guys were up. This got noticed immediately, as you might expect, but still counts as a great idea, and one that would help the Pirates. (See Veeck--as in Wreck, by Bill Veeck, etc).

The Eddie Gaedel gimmick was hilarious too. MLB shut that one down real quick.

Disco Demolition night 'backfired' on him though!

at one time I thought this didn't work as a promotion because only 18,000 fans attended the double header. but it turns out that was the second or third biggest home attendance of the season for the Browns. The team won 52 games and had total attendance of 293,000.

Lots of home crowds of less than 3,000.
BenM

HR shortage

Post by BenM »