A's Troll Bucs, Bucs fire a broadside

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/pi ... d=msedgntp

The Oakland Athletics’ social media team thought it had an easy win over the Pittsburgh Pirates on Saturday, but it turned out to be less simple than that.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

I keep goofing around calling them the Las Vegas Pirates but then found out the BUCS lease at PNC goes to 2030.

I'm convinced Vegas will get a MLB team. I'm also convinced that if the Pirate organization continue's to remain on the path they are on the fan base will be a joke and regardless of the lease they will move out of the Burgh. If the BUCS could just have 1 really decent season it could get the young people back into them. I'm guessing the Steelers/Penguins are what the younger generation in Pittsburgh follow way more then the Pirates. I don't live there so it's just a guess but I know in my family there are only 2 of us who love the Pirates and we both were raised on great Pirate teams.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

3B2C3A2A6F696E686E60590 wrote: I keep goofing around calling them the Las Vegas Pirates but then found out the BUCS lease at PNC goes to 2030.

I'm convinced Vegas will get a MLB team. I'm also convinced that if the Pirate organization continue's to remain on the path they are on the fan base will be a joke and regardless of the lease they will move out of the Burgh. If the BUCS could just have 1 really decent season it could get the young people back into them. I'm guessing the Steelers/Penguins are what the younger generation in Pittsburgh follow way more then the Pirates. I don't live there so it's just a guess but I know in my family there are only 2 of us who love the Pirates and we both were raised on great Pirate teams.
When they ended the 20 year losing streak in 2013 Nutting enjoyed the 2nd highest attendance in franchise history, topped only by the first year at PNC (2001). When they had another winning season in 2014 they set a new 2nd best franchise attendance record. When they won 98 games in 2015 they set the new #1 franchise attendance record.

But obviously Nutting didn't care about that, immediately pulling the plug and letting the team and attendance begin a downhill slide. So it's debatable if poor attendance is even an issue with Nutting. He saw the benefits of great attendance but didn't seem to care. As long as he keeps costs down and profits up, it's like winning the World Series to him. As long as the MLB system puts money in his pockets he seems very content in Pittsburgh. That could change if he's forced to spend more or receives less in MLB welfare. But as far as attendance and fan interest goes, he saw how to make it great and decided "meh, never mind."
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
shedman

Post by shedman »

466B66777061763635040 wrote: I keep goofing around calling them the Las Vegas Pirates but then found out the BUCS lease at PNC goes to 2030.

When they ended the 20 year losing streak in 2013 Nutting enjoyed the 2nd highest attendance in franchise history, topped only by the first year at PNC (2001). When they had another winning season in 2014 they set a new 2nd best franchise attendance record. When they won 98 games in 2015 they set the new #1 franchise attendance record.

But obviously Nutting didn't care about that, immediately pulling the plug and letting the team and attendance begin a downhill slide. So it's debatable if poor attendance is even an issue with Nutting. He saw the benefits of great attendance but didn't seem to care. As long as he keeps costs down and profits up, it's like winning the World Series to him. As long as the MLB system puts money in his pockets he seems very content in Pittsburgh. That could change if he's forced to spend more or receives less in MLB welfare. But as far as attendance and fan interest goes, he saw how to make it great and decided "meh, never mind."
______

Egggzactlee.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

MLB bears responsibility to a great degree. They allow Nutting to run a franchise without regard to the game or fans.

I trust MLB would never approve of a move of the Pirates BECAUSE of Nutting’s ownership.

BTW - who ever fired that tweet back at the A’s - Good Job. It’s not much and they can’t do much, but we can know there are a few people in the FO that still have some pride.

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

In ten years, PNC will be 30 years old.

It wasn't the easiest of sells the last time.  I'm no marketing expert, but if I was to guess, I'd guess that it might be even more challenging the next time.

The A's could be saving that clip for a rainy day.  We may want the captain to steer toward the Triangle at some point. 

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

1C3A3B2C3A2A590 wrote: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/pi ... d=msedgntp

The Oakland Athletics’ social media team thought it had an easy win over the Pittsburgh Pirates on Saturday, but it turned out to be less simple than that.

I don't have a Twitter account so I can't open either the Athletics tweet or the Pirates response in the link you posted. Can you tell me what both said? Thanks.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

217761757A60707B766153747E727A7F3D70130 wrote: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/pi ... d=msedgntp

I don't have a Twitter account so I can't open either the Athletics tweet or the Pirates response in the link you posted.  Can you tell me what both said?  Thanks.

A's- posted a video of a routine ground out where the first baseman stepped on first base.  Runner is out.

Pirates- posted a small house being pulled on the river by a tugboat with the A's logo on the house.  The caption asks- "This U?"
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

104650444B51414A475062454F434B4E0C41220 wrote: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/pi ... d=msedgntp

I don't have a Twitter account so I can't open either the Athletics tweet or the Pirates response in the link you posted.  Can you tell me what both said?  Thanks.

I don't have twitter either, when I read the article the videos on twitter opened after a slight delay.