Bucs Aquire 17 yr old Venezuelan Catcher

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Stokes Jr & Jandel Gustave to Brewers for 17 yr old Catcher Samuel Escudero

Escudero has yet to begin his pro career. According to John Dreker at PBN he will be assigned to the DSL. Further info will follow I'm sure.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Interesting assessment on the MLB Trade Rumors site:

"As for the Pirates’ return, there’s not much publicly available data on the young backstop. The Brewers signed him as an amateur out of Venezuela back in January, and the Pirates have assigned him to their affiliate in the Dominican Summer League. Given that the Bucs are trading away a player who cleared waivers a month ago and a second non-roster player who was acquired on a minor league contract, getting even a far-off lottery ticket who’s just setting out on his pro career is a nice pickup."
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5D71797E7552657363100 wrote: Interesting assessment on the MLB Trade Rumors site:

"As for the Pirates’ return, there’s not much publicly available data on the young backstop. The Brewers signed him as an amateur out of Venezuela back in January, and the Pirates have assigned him to their affiliate in the Dominican Summer League. Given that the Bucs are trading away a player who cleared waivers a month ago and a second non-roster player who was acquired on a minor league contract, getting even a far-off lottery ticket who’s just setting out on his pro career is a nice pickup."

I agree with that. Bucs unloaded 2 marginal guys who didn't fit into the team's future for a raw kid who at least plays a position the organization is weak at.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

This trade if the equivalent of the Pirates picking up extra slot money for international players.

Also, the decision to move AAA players may mean that the Pirates are looking at opportunities to move someone up from AA, or preparing to send someone down when Oviedo needs to be added back to the major league roster.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

I wonder who initiated this deal, the Bucs or Brewers? And even moreso how talks got started?

I don't think the Brewers would have called the Bucs and asked, What will it take to get Stokes Jr. from you?

Or the Bucs calling and say do you have any surplus 17 year old catchers?