All Star Game

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

All Star Game

Post by Surgnbuck »

I remember when I was a kid, and got one of those punch tickets. Well, to be honest, a HANDFUL of them, and punching the slots for all my Pirates favorites, and the worst players I could think of for the AL.

Of course, attempts at stuffing the ballot box never happened in Pittsburgh right? Only Cincy and LA, where it was "known" they had boards with nails in a pattern to punch out thousands of votes for their guys.

Regardless what you may have heard, known about, whether truth fiction or folklore, one thing changed dramatically as MLB found more and more ways to get more and more people voting, because back in the day, it was pretty much done only by people who attended the game: Players who have no business being voted starters continually get voted in.

I'm talking about guys like Mike Trout. You're not voting for class president. He's been injured. Has been for a long time. I get he's super popular, and when healthy arguably the best all around player in the game.

I've heard the tired excuse: "the fans deserve to see who they want, whether they deserve to be there or not". Okay, but it's idiotic when those fans vote for guys who won't be there.

Wish I had the answer. As much as I shake my head at injured guys getting voted in (and I'm not talking recently injured) or guys who just get voted in because of their name, the only thing I'd change is it's not required every team have a rep, unless it's the host city.  Less chance at snubs.

I can almost feel Reynolds is going to get a snub, and possibly one of the Cincy OF's, even though two of them made the final vote.

But the game doesn't matter, and to the players, it seems it only matters for their first selection, or if they're in their home town. Or it's in their contract there's a bonus for being selected.

So I don't know why it matters to me. I don't think it does. I think it's the stupidity of the voting populace that bothers me.
GreenWeenie

All Star Game

Post by GreenWeenie »

I'm OK with the system; understanding that it's flawed.  Managers get to make up for fans' choices.

There are always going to be snubs.  So, we look forward to the annual mailed-in article written by some lazy sportswriter.  It's the same as last year's, with different names.
Bobster21

All Star Game

Post by Bobster21 »

301611040D01160008630 wrote: I remember when I was a kid, and got one of those punch tickets. Well, to be honest, a HANDFUL of them, and punching the slots for all my Pirates favorites, and the worst players I could think of for the AL.

Of course, attempts at stuffing the ballot box never happened in Pittsburgh right? Only Cincy and LA, where it was "known" they had boards with nails in a pattern to punch out thousands of votes for their guys.

Regardless what you may have heard, known about, whether truth fiction or folklore, one thing changed dramatically as MLB found more and more ways to get more and more people voting, because back in the day, it was pretty much done only by people who attended the game: Players who have no business being voted starters continually get voted in.

I'm talking about guys like Mike Trout. You're not voting for class president. He's been injured. Has been for a long time. I get he's super popular, and when healthy arguably the best all around player in the game.

I've heard the tired excuse: "the fans deserve to see who they want, whether they deserve to be there or not". Okay, but it's idiotic when those fans vote for guys who won't be there.

Wish I had the answer. As much as I shake my head at injured guys getting voted in (and I'm not talking recently injured) or guys who just get voted in because of their name, the only thing I'd change is it's not required every team have a rep, unless it's the host city.  Less chance at snubs.

I can almost feel Reynolds is going to get a snub, and possibly one of the Cincy OF's, even though two of them made the final vote.

But the game doesn't matter, and to the players, it seems it only matters for their first selection, or if they're in their home town. Or it's in their contract there's a bonus for being selected.

So I don't know why it matters to me. I don't think it does. I think it's the stupidity of the voting populace that bothers me.
I agree. I was once a big fan of the AS game but once the fans started voting, my interest waned. I liked the players being chosen by their peers based largely on how they were playing that season. Once the vote became a popularity contest with players and fans of the largest markets having the greatest influence, selections were less about merit.

I don't buy the idea that the fans deserve to see whoever they want. Which fans? The ones who research the players and vote for those they deem most deserving? Or the ones who vote the most times? You can vote 5 times per day.  ::)

Do we worry about fans deserving to see their favorite players when they take the family for an expensive day at the ballpark during the season and find their favorite player is getting a scheduled day off? I think the fans deserve to see the players who deserve to be there. Not the ones who have no business being in an AS game but had the most recognizable names or the biggest push from their home market to vote early and vote often. 
GreenWeenie

All Star Game

Post by GreenWeenie »

Peer selection's not perfect, either. Some players are popular among each other, too. You scratch my back.... Managers...were all human

Even if someone came up with software to make the determination, someone would bitch about bias or whatever.

I say, enjoy it for what it is. Baseball isn't perfect, and neither is life.

It's how I survive as a Pirates fan. :)

johnfluharty

All Star Game

Post by johnfluharty »

If you want a perfect selection then a computer algorithm would have to pick them based on some statistical measure, and I don't think anyone would be happy with that.
2drfischer@gmail.c

All Star Game

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

I still like the All Star Game, but not like I used to when I was younger. And I still think it’s a good idea to include at least one player from each team. Seeing all of the teams’ uniforms on the same field is one of the coolest sights for me.

What I miss is how much the players from previous times wanted to beat the other league in the game. Yeah, they got a bigger game check, but I think they genuinely wanted to win for bragging rights. Before Interleague play, the two leagues were very different. It was rare when a player would be traded from a team in one league to a team in the other. The ASG was the only time during the season, except for the World Series, that the players could show each other how good they were.

The Game today is truly an exhibition. Guys seem to be interested in playing a few innings and then getting to the airport.
Bobster21

All Star Game

Post by Bobster21 »

7E283E2A253F2F24293E0C2B212D2520622F4C0 wrote: I still like the All Star Game, but not like I used to when I was younger.  And I still think it’s a good idea to include at least one player from each team.  Seeing all of the teams’ uniforms on the same field is one of the coolest sights for me.

What I miss is how much the players from previous times wanted to beat the other league in the game.  Yeah, they got a bigger game check, but I think they genuinely wanted to win for bragging rights.  Before Interleague play, the two leagues were very different.  It was rare when a player would be traded from a team in one league to a team in the other.  The ASG was the only time during the season, except for the World Series, that the players could show each other how good they were.

The Game today is truly an exhibition.  Guys seem to be interested in playing a few innings and then getting to the airport. 
Forget it. As usual, MLB is taking the joy out of the game. Teams will no longer where their uniforms for the AS game. They will where a generic AS uniform and hat that includes the city's 1st 3 letters with team emblem overlayed on it.

craptastic All-Star uniforms
GreenWeenie

All Star Game

Post by GreenWeenie »

Come on.  Uniforms take joy out of a game?

First, it's the announcers....

It's the game!  One guy out there with eight of his pals, trying all they can to get that one guy out there with a piece of wood in his hands OUT.

And the guy with that stick trying everything he can to piss all nine of them off!

May the best man win.

Batter's up.  Play ball!
Bobster21

All Star Game

Post by Bobster21 »

0F3A2D2D261F2D2D26212D480 wrote: Come on.  Uniforms take joy out of a game?

First, it's the announcers....

It's the game!  One guy out there with eight of his pals, trying all they can to get that one guy out there with a piece of wood in his hands OUT.

And the guy with that stick trying everything he can to piss all nine of them off!

May the best man win.

Batter's up.  Play ball!
I always loved seeing that Pirate uniform on the field with the all-stars. But that's gone now. :(
Surgnbuck

All Star Game

Post by Surgnbuck »

Glad you posted that Bobster. I might have thought I put the wrong channel on.

Merchandise. But I'm not going to bag on it, because I love the Armed Forces version hat I was given as a gift, and others think it looks kind of hideous.

My younger brother eats up any St. Patrick's day kind of stuff. I bought him a very pricey Penguins jersey that was green. I think it looks ridiculous.

I never understood people who wore the American/National League jerseys either, but there they go.

Old school stuff is for old school guys like most of us on this board. And rappers.