Pirates claim Greg Allen from Yankees

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

another potential 4th outfielder.  Probably will try and pass him through waivers before Rule 5 deadline.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... um=linker-

he isn't going to add more power to the team.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Ben's allergic to power. We have more Patty Cake hitters than we know what to do with. We need Baker's Men.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

4C796E6E655C6E6E65626E0B0 wrote: Ben's allergic to power.  We have more Patty Cake hitters than we know what to do with.  We need Baker's Men.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klhM3fqs36U
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

587E7F687E6E1D0 wrote: another potential 4th outfielder.  Probably will try and pass him through waivers before Rule 5 deadline.

He doesn't seem worth a spot on the 40 with so many to protect from Rule 5. So I suspect you are right about trying to slip him thru waivers to assign to AAA. This could signal a new strategy of dumpster diving to sign players who are so bad that they can be expected to pass thru waivers and assigned to AAA at a time when spots on the 40 man roster are at a premium. Anyone who is not sufficiently bad could be lost when waived. Wouldn't want that. ;)
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

082528393E2F38787B4A0 wrote: another potential 4th outfielder.  Probably will try and pass him through waivers before Rule 5 deadline.

He doesn't seem worth a spot on the 40 with so many to protect from Rule 5. So I suspect you are right about trying to slip him thru waivers to assign to AAA. This could signal a new strategy of dumpster diving to sign players who are so bad that they can be expected to pass thru waivers and assigned to AAA at a time when spots on the 40 man roster are at a premium. Anyone who is not sufficiently bad could be lost when waived. Wouldn't want that.   ;)
An outfielder with 8 HRs in 594 at bats isn't very encouraging
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

This....from the guy who kept track of our race to last place all season long. Sheesh.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

I just think he is AAA filler and I don't have an hope of him panning out. Seems, BC has not had a real good outcome for some of these kind of guys except for Youski.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

6D4C446D464E290 wrote: I just think he is AAA filler and I don't have an hope of him panning out.  Seems, BC has not had a real good outcome for some of these kind of guys except for Youski.

The problem what that is- we have AAA Filler on the team with the way the door's been revolving.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

566374747F4674747F7874110 wrote: I just think he is AAA filler and I don't have an hope of him panning out.  Seems, BC has not had a real good outcome for some of these kind of guys except for Youski.

The problem what that is- we have AAA Filler on the team with the way the door's been revolving. 

You're right. I think that they hope he will be able to pass through waivers or whatever in the next few days so they can put assign him to AAA. Then they give him a shot in ST to see what he really has. My only concern is that he might have a 2021 Newman ST and make the MLB roster and then flame out hitting wise as Newman did. I don't want him to take a roster space in AAA and be blocking a young prospect that has a higher ceiling than Allen does.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

When you think of it, we run that same risk with every player. They can catch fire for a while, then flame out. They can be halls-of-famer for two weeks, then (God forbid) suffer a bad injury or whatever.

So, unless I'm looking at stuff like this wrongly, unless we have someone who is better already that deserves this guy's place.....OR....unless there's some other guy in the dumpster that we think is better than this guy......then, what difference does it really make?

If we didn't pick this guy (or someone like him) up, what would we have done? I don't really see a big negative or positive on it.