Bucs To Sign Jose Quintana

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The Bucs are in agreement with Jose Quintana pending a physical according to reports.
mouse

Post by mouse »

So, who goes from the 40-man?
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

2B29333523460 wrote: So, who goes from the 40-man?
Should not be a difficult decision, because in my opinion there are several players who could go, such as Ponce, Underwood or even Oliva.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

Good signing for me. He’s experienced, can be a good mentor to the young pitchers, and will likely be dealt at the Deadline for what might be a guy who can contribute even more one day. Shedman would probably give Cherington a “5” for this signing.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

762036222D37272C2136042329252D286A27440 wrote: Good signing for me.  He’s experienced, can be a good mentor to the young pitchers, and will likely be dealt at the Deadline for what might be a guy who can contribute even more one day.  Shedman would probably give Cherington a “5” for this signing.
Might have to look somewhere else to find out :D
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

06383D35263E3E351530273463510 wrote: Good signing for me.  He’s experienced, can be a good mentor to the young pitchers, and will likely be dealt at the Deadline for what might be a guy who can contribute even more one day.  Shedman would probably give Cherington a “5” for this signing.
I share doc's opinion- he can only help. Similar to obtaining Anderson last season
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

734D4840534B4B406045524116240 wrote: Good signing for me.  He’s experienced, can be a good mentor to the young pitchers, and will likely be dealt at the Deadline for what might be a guy who can contribute even more one day.  Shedman would probably give Cherington a “5” for this signing.

Maybe that Cod guy can can help.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

This is the type of signing we are accustomed to. Formerly a good pitcher, Quintana is coming off his worst season and has an opportunity with the Pirates that he likely would not have with most teams. He has had shoulder and thumb issues the past 2 seasons and although almost exclusively a starter most of his career he spent more time in the bullpen last year than as a starter. For 2021 he had a combined ERA of 6.43 in 10 starts and 19 relief appearances. It's a chance for Quintana to revive his career and I doubt that there were many teams willing to pencil him into their rotation.

Per the Post-Gazette:

Quintana has right around average velocity, throwing his four-seamer at 91.5 mph in 2021. He also throws a curveball, sinker an changeup, a pitch mix that has been fairly consistent through his career...

As durable as any pitcher during his first eight MLB seasons, Quintana has had some injury issues over the past two. He spent time on the injured list in 2021 with inflammation in his left shoulder and dealt with left lat inflammation and a nerve problem in his left thumb in 2020.

While Quintana did rack up more strikeouts in 2021, he also saw his walk rate jump. Quintana walked a career-high 5.0 per nine innings, which is nearly double his career mark of 2.6.

In addition to the wildness, Quintana has also been hit much harder over the past two seasons, allowing a hard-hit percentage of 50.0 in 2020 and 45.5 this past season. That number didn’t rise above 37.9 between 2015 (the first year said data is available) and 2019.

Opposing hitters also have the highest and second-highest exit velocities against Quintana the past two seasons at 94.5 mph (2020) and 90.6 mph.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pir ... 2111210247
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

517C71606776612122130 wrote: This is the type of signing we are accustomed to. Formerly a good pitcher, Quintana is coming off his worst season and has an opportunity with the Pirates that he likely would not have with most teams. He has had shoulder and thumb issues the past 2 seasons and although almost exclusively a starter most of his career he spent more time in the bullpen last year than as a starter. For 2021 he had a combined ERA of 6.43 in 10 starts and 19 relief appearances. It's a chance for Quintana to revive his career and I doubt that there were many teams willing to pencil him into their rotation. 

Per the Post-Gazette:

Quintana has right around average velocity, throwing his four-seamer at 91.5 mph in 2021. He also throws a curveball, sinker an changeup, a pitch mix that has been fairly consistent through his career...

As durable as any pitcher during his first eight MLB seasons, Quintana has had some injury issues over the past two. He spent time on the injured list in 2021 with inflammation in his left shoulder and dealt with left lat inflammation and a nerve problem in his left thumb in 2020.

While Quintana did rack up more strikeouts in 2021, he also saw his walk rate jump. Quintana walked a career-high 5.0 per nine innings, which is nearly double his career mark of 2.6.

In addition to the wildness, Quintana has also been hit much harder over the past two seasons, allowing a hard-hit percentage of 50.0 in 2020 and 45.5 this past season. That number didn’t rise above 37.9 between 2015 (the first year said data is available) and 2019.

Opposing hitters also have the highest and second-highest exit velocities against Quintana the past two seasons at 94.5 mph (2020) and 90.6 mph.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pir ... 2111210247

he may be the staff ace in 2022.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

Since we aren't a contender in the least and our owner doesn't want to spend a dime, this is the type of signing I expected and don't mind.  He has had previous success and can help the youngsters.  I hope this means someone like Ponce, Kuhl, Banda, Hanhold, or Oliva are gone.  We have room to make signings.  God knows those names I put down have zero value. 

We still need one more starter IMO.  I know it looks like we have nine now, but some of those I counted I don't want to see starting or even on this roster.  Need three good BP arms and 2 OF at least and a C