The Departed

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

ArnoldRothstein

The Departed

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

May have missed someone, but I think this is the top ten for most assists in a season by a Pirate third baseman:

Tommy Leach, 1904: 371

Pedro Alvarez, 2013: 359

Jimmy Williams, 1899: 355

Jeff King, 1993: 353

Maury Wills, 1967: 343

Bobby Bonilla, 1988: 336

Aramis Ramirez, 2001: 335

Bob Bailey, 1963: 332

Bobby Bonilla, 1989: 330

Frankie Gustine, 1947: 330

I think you could have made some money betting that Pedro, Aramis, Bailey, and Bonilla were half the top ten. Traynor peaked at 306.
Ecbucs

The Departed

Post by Ecbucs »

764559585B536558435F4443525E59370 wrote: May have missed someone, but I think this is the top ten for most assists in a season by a Pirate third baseman:

Tommy Leach, 1904: 371

Pedro Alvarez, 2013: 359

Jimmy Williams, 1899: 355

Jeff King, 1993: 353

Maury Wills, 1967: 343

Bobby Bonilla, 1988: 336

Aramis Ramirez, 2001: 335

Bob Bailey, 1963: 332

Bobby Bonilla, 1989: 330

Frankie Gustine, 1947: 330

I think you could have made some money betting that Pedro, Aramis, Bailey, and Bonilla were half the top ten. Traynor peaked at 306.

interesting.

I looked up Traynor and in his 1925 season he played 1330 innings. Pedro played 1328.

to show one of the differences in the game is the number of putouts. Traynor had 226 and Pedro 72. Traynor often had over 150 putouts, Pedro's career high was 73 (at third).
BenM

The Departed

Post by BenM »

On this day (November 5th) 44 years ago, the Pirates traded Manny Sanguillén and some cash to the A's in exchange for manager Chuck Tanner. Manny came back to the Pirates a year later and we know what happened after that.
Ecbucs

The Departed

Post by Ecbucs »

The Athletics have signed right-hander Montana DuRapau to a minor league contract, according to DuRapau’s agents at Primetime Sports Group (Twitter link). The 28-year-old (29 in March) didn’t pitch in the big leagues this past season but logged 14 1/3 frames with the Pirates in 2019. That’s the only Major League experience DuRapau has on his track record, and it didn’t go particularly well, as he yielded 15 runs in that time. However, DuRapau carries a career 3.42 ERA in parts of three Triple-A seasons — including a sterling 2.14 mark with 11.1 K/9 against 2.7 BB/9 in 46 1/3 innings during 2019’s wildly hitter-friendly, juiced-ball season.
Surgnbuck

The Departed

Post by Surgnbuck »

6F49485F49592A0 wrote: The Athletics have signed right-hander Montana DuRapau to a minor league contract, according to DuRapau’s agents at Primetime Sports Group (Twitter link). The 28-year-old (29 in March) didn’t pitch in the big leagues this past season but logged 14 1/3 frames with the Pirates in 2019. That’s the only Major League experience DuRapau has on his track record, and it didn’t go particularly well, as he yielded 15 runs in that time. However, DuRapau carries a career 3.42 ERA in parts of three Triple-A seasons — including a sterling 2.14 mark with 11.1 K/9 against 2.7 BB/9 in 46 1/3 innings during 2019’s wildly hitter-friendly, juiced-ball season.

During picture day at PNC, Montana was part of the rotation. He swore to me he'd listen to this song because he never heard it, and would use it as his walk up music at some point in his career. IF it ever happens, you heard it here first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smZA9Jv3qH0
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

725453464F4354424A210 wrote: The Athletics have signed right-hander Montana DuRapau to a minor league contract, according to DuRapau’s agents at Primetime Sports Group (Twitter link). The 28-year-old (29 in March) didn’t pitch in the big leagues this past season but logged 14 1/3 frames with the Pirates in 2019. That’s the only Major League experience DuRapau has on his track record, and it didn’t go particularly well, as he yielded 15 runs in that time. However, DuRapau carries a career 3.42 ERA in parts of three Triple-A seasons — including a sterling 2.14 mark with 11.1 K/9 against 2.7 BB/9 in 46 1/3 innings during 2019’s wildly hitter-friendly, juiced-ball season.

During picture day at PNC, Montana was part of the rotation. He swore to me he'd listen to this song because he never heard it, and would use it as his walk up music at some point in his career. IF it ever happens, you heard it here first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smZA9Jv3qH0

EXCELLENT CHOICE!!! :D

I'm a big Zappa fan. Saw him many times. And there just aren't enough songs about dental floss.

BellevueBuc

The Departed

Post by BellevueBuc »

486E6F786E7E0D0 wrote: The Athletics have signed right-hander Montana DuRapau to a minor league contract, according to DuRapau’s agents at Primetime Sports Group (Twitter link). The 28-year-old (29 in March) didn’t pitch in the big leagues this past season but logged 14 1/3 frames with the Pirates in 2019. That’s the only Major League experience DuRapau has on his track record, and it didn’t go particularly well, as he yielded 15 runs in that time. However, DuRapau carries a career 3.42 ERA in parts of three Triple-A seasons — including a sterling 2.14 mark with 11.1 K/9 against 2.7 BB/9 in 46 1/3 innings during 2019’s wildly hitter-friendly, juiced-ball season.

DuRapau is on the same DWL team as Oneil Cruz, Gigantes del Cibao. Cruz looks like the regular SS and Durapau the closer.
BellevueBuc

The Departed

Post by BellevueBuc »

Some other former Bucs signed...

Jerrick Suiter - Cubs - was a big 1b that never hit for much power, converted to a pitcher.

Mitchell Tolman - Mets - Was a semi interesting prospect, until he was hit was a drug of abuse suspension like Montana. Was then passed by better players.

Andrew Susac - Pirates - I would imagine he was resigned to have the same role. Probably means they have no intention of bringing back Murphy and Maile. Lack of depth here will be an issue until someone steps up in the minors.

In addition to DuRapau, Socrates Brito, Gage Hinsz, Jason Martin, Hector Noesi, Pablo Reyes and Adrian Valerio declared FA. They may have interest in bringing back Brito and Martin, as well as Burdi.

Other former Buc FAs include Jason Creasy, Stetson Allie, Clayton Richard, Dario Agrazal, Connor Joe, Trey Supak, Elvis Escobar, Jesus Liranzo, Bengie Gonzalez, and Taylor Gushe.
Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

52757C7C75666575526573100 wrote: Some other former Bucs signed...

Jerrick Suiter - Cubs - was a big 1b that never hit for much power, converted to a pitcher.

Mitchell Tolman - Mets - Was a semi interesting prospect, until he was hit was a drug of abuse suspension like Montana. Was then passed by better players.

Andrew Susac - Pirates - I would imagine he was resigned to have the same role. Probably means they have no intention of bringing back Murphy and Maile. Lack of depth here will be an issue until someone steps up in the minors.

In addition to DuRapau, Socrates Brito, Gage Hinsz, Jason Martin, Hector Noesi, Pablo Reyes and Adrian Valerio declared FA.  They may have interest in bringing back Brito and Martin, as well as Burdi.

Other former Buc FAs include Jason Creasy, Stetson Allie, Clayton Richard, Dario Agrazal, Connor Joe, Trey Supak, Elvis Escobar, Jesus Liranzo, Bengie Gonzalez, and Taylor Gushe.
Interesting about Suiter. I didn't realize he was out of the organization. I saw him have a 4 hit game for Bradenton in 2016.
BellevueBuc

The Departed

Post by BellevueBuc »

143934252233246467560 wrote: Some other former Bucs signed...

In addition to DuRapau, Socrates Brito, Gage Hinsz, Jason Martin, Hector Noesi, Pablo Reyes and Adrian Valerio declared FA.  They may have interest in bringing back Brito and Martin, as well as Burdi.

Interesting about Suiter. I didn't realize he was out of the organization. I saw him have a 4 hit game for Bradenton in 2016.

He threw a couple meaningless innings for the Pirates in 2019, but was hitting mid 90s. Apparently someone from the Cubs found out and they gave him a shot to pitch after they picked him up in the minor league phase of the Rule 5. I am guessing the Pirates had the same thoughts since he was going no where as a hitter. Obviously he has only pitched in camp, but he is up to high 90s.