Game 2 thread 6/14 D/H vs St.L.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

More Cheezy Corporate Speak:  “We’re going to have a ton of learning moments,” 

Let's have some games where the other team does the learning.  The Dodgers learned to not take us lightly.

----------------------------------

“I felt like up until today we had actually played pretty good baseball. … We just got handled a little bit.”  "Pretty Good Baseball" means losing seven straight, I Guess: 

Reality, Derek. 

--------------------------------

Be certain to fit the word "execute" or some extrapolation of it into every night:

"We just have to play better,” Shelton said. “We haven’t played horribly. We didn’t play well tonight. Obviously, we didn’t pitch well and didn’t swing the bats. On this trip, we’ve been in every game. We’ve got to get that big hit, we’ve got to execute a pitch to get us over that hump and get a victory.”

We were out of the game before the end of the first inning.  We lost one to the Braves by 6.  The others were a lot closer.

I say- Cherington's got to get guys who score runs and don't let the other guys score runs. That will get us over the hump and get a lot more than one victory.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6F5A4D4D467F4D4D46414D280 wrote: More Cheezy Corporate Speak:  “We’re going to have a ton of learning moments,” 

Let's have some games where the other team does the learning.  The Dodgers learned to not take us lightly.

----------------------------------

“I felt like up until today we had actually played pretty good baseball. … We just got handled a little bit.”  "Pretty Good Baseball" means losing seven straight, I Guess: 

Reality, Derek. 

--------------------------------

Be certain to fit the word "execute" or some extrapolation of it into every night:

"We just have to play better,” Shelton said. “We haven’t played horribly. We didn’t play well tonight. Obviously, we didn’t pitch well and didn’t swing the bats. On this trip, we’ve been in every game. We’ve got to get that big hit, we’ve got to execute a pitch to get us over that hump and get a victory.”

We were out of the game before the end of the first inning.  We lost one to the Braves by 6.  The others were a lot closer.

I say- Cherington's got to get guys who score runs and don't let the other guys score runs.  That will get us over the hump and get a lot more than one victory.

Shelton sets the bar pretty low. Anything other than playing horribly is a success. And they've been in every game on this road trip. Well, at least during the national anthem.

6/9: down 3-0 in the 3rd inning. Lost 3-1.

6/10: down 4-0 in the 5th inning. Finally scored in the 8th and lost 4-2.

6/11: Finally playing well. Leading 4-2 but Shelton pulls Thompson who is pitching well. BP gives up 8 in 7th and Shelton causes Bucs to lose 10-4.

6/12: down 4-1 in 4th. Lost 5-3.

6/13: Bucs are actually leading 5-0 in 6th. Shelton won't let an effective Keller try to get out of trouble in the 6th and BP blows game. Bucs lose 7-5.

6/14 (1): down 3-0 in the 4th. Get a run in the 7th to lose 3-1.

6/14 (2): down 7-0 in 2nd inning. Lose 9-1.

5 of the loses on the road trip featured an early deficit of 3 or more runs. Only once did the Pirates get within 1 run. In the other 2 games, the Pirates had a lead until Shelton replaced an effective starter so that the BP could let the game slip away. I haven't seen all that "pretty good baseball" Shelton talks about. And "being in every game" apparently means being behind by 3 or more runs very early without ever catching up. And if some of the play hasn't been horrible, some of the managing certainly has been.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

“He was in the middle of the plate, and the breaking ball looked flat,” Shelton said of Wilson. “You cannot do that to this lineup.”

“I thought I did a pretty good job of throwing strikes, getting ahead and commanding counts,” Wilson said. “They’re good hitters. They just hit some really good pitches.”

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pir ... 2206140117

I gotta go with the usually clueless Shelton on this one. Even he could see Wilson was awful.

If they were just hitting "some really good pitches," then Wilson was throwing a whole lot of "really good pitches."