Bryan Reynolds

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Bryan Reynolds

Post by GreenWeenie »

A fair point.

I think that it's the compounding effect. In the years since Jason Bay, emotions have built. When will the nonsense and talk end?

Probably not now.
Bobster21

Bryan Reynolds

Post by Bobster21 »

03313D3D291B38313C393631500 wrote: I'm not sick of him and hope he stays, but who was better him or Jason Bay?  He's good but not the superstar. 
I think Reynolds could be on the brink of superstardom. A switch-hitter with power who was a .300+ hitter at every minor league level. In his first taste of MLB in 2019 he hit .314 with 16 HRs.

2020 was a bizarre season and it's hard to evaluate any type of performance from that strange year. I don't think it's any coincidence that a lot of well established veterans who normally hit very well hit very poorly that year. Stadiums were empty, games were being cancelled at the last minute and rescheduled. Players were quarantined. There was a lot to focus on besides baseball, like the health of their families. And it was only 60 games. Reynolds' hitting was terrible. But given the circumstances, I tend to disregard 2020 stats for all players.

When normalcy returned to MLB in 2021 Reynolds resumed the type of hitting he had done prior to the pandemic. He batted .302 with 24 HRs and 90 RBIs and led MLB in triples. In 2022, he had his only less than outstanding season in a normal (i.e., non-pandemic conditions) MLB year. His .262 BA was disappointing but it represented a 2-month slump to begin the season. For April and May he hit .212. Over the rest of the season he hit .285.

I expect him to have a good 2023 and be traded at the TDL or next off season and be a superstar for another team for years to come.
fjk090852-7

Bryan Reynolds

Post by fjk090852-7 »

547974656273642427160 wrote: I'm not sick of him and hope he stays, but who was better him or Jason Bay?  He's good but not the superstar. 
I think Reynolds could be on the brink of superstardom. A switch-hitter with power who was a .300+ hitter at every minor league level. In his first taste of MLB in 2019 he hit .314 with 16 HRs.

2020 was a bizarre season and it's hard to evaluate any type of performance from that strange year. I don't think it's any coincidence that a lot of well established veterans who normally hit very well hit very poorly that year. Stadiums were empty, games were being cancelled at the last minute and rescheduled. Players were quarantined. There was a lot to focus on besides baseball, like the health of their families. And it was only 60 games. Reynolds' hitting was terrible. But given the circumstances, I tend to disregard 2020 stats for all players.

When normalcy returned to MLB in 2021 Reynolds resumed the type of hitting he had done prior to the pandemic. He batted .302 with 24 HRs and 90 RBIs and led MLB in triples. In 2022, he had his only less than outstanding season in a normal (i.e., non-pandemic conditions) MLB year. His .262 BA was disappointing but it represented a 2-month slump to begin the season. For April and May he hit .212. Over the rest of the season he hit .285.

I expect him to have a good 2023 and be traded at the TDL or next off season and be a superstar for another team for years to come.
I agree with what you are saying, but I am still hoping the two sides can hammer out an agreement. I am not excited about his request regarding 8 years, but I wonder if the parties could agree on a six year deal for around 97 million, which would average out about 16.1 million per season. I wonder if something along those lines could get it done. Their reported request is 8 years at 130 which amounts to 16.25 million per season. I am still hoping both sides would be willing to give a little.
Javy

Bryan Reynolds

Post by Javy »

6F6362393039313C3B243E090 wrote: I'm not sick of him and hope he stays, but who was better him or Jason Bay?  He's good but not the superstar. 

I agree with what you are saying, but I am still hoping the two sides can hammer out an agreement. I am not excited about his request regarding 8 years, but I wonder if the parties could agree on a six year deal for around 97 million, which would average out about 16.1 million per season. I wonder if something along those lines could get it done. Their reported request is 8 years at 130 which amounts to 16.25 million per season. I am still hoping both sides would be willing to give a little.
Bay certainly was a solid offensive threat with probably more raw power than Reynolds.

However, I would give the edge to Reynolds based on his overall ability. He's a significantly better fielder than Bay was, and more of a threat on the base-paths as well.

If I recall correctly, Bay had some concussion issues after signing his big contract with the Mets, accelerating his decline. Hopefully, Reynolds stays in Pittsburgh long term and remains healthy
GreenWeenie

Bryan Reynolds

Post by GreenWeenie »

Agree with both Ster and Javy. Don't agree with fj. The sides are too far apart to think there's middle ground.

Reynolds doesn't just want beyond the team's scale. He wants a longer term.

Didn't do it with McCutchen, a guy who briefly may have been a top 5 NL player.

No way is Reynolds near that. He isn't.

Personally, I think his ask is high because he knows Pittsburgh's not paying it. Who cares what he says on TV?
2drfischer@gmail.c

Bryan Reynolds

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

505C5D060F060E03041B01360 wrote: I'm not sick of him and hope he stays, but who was better him or Jason Bay?  He's good but not the superstar. 

I just don’t see Nutting agreeing to pay any player that kind of money, even if the market indicates that’s the rate for a player like Reynolds. Nutting operates in his own market.
fjk090852-7

Bryan Reynolds

Post by fjk090852-7 »

2C7A6C78776D7D767B6C5E79737F7772307D1E0 wrote: I'm not sick of him and hope he stays, but who was better him or Jason Bay?  He's good but not the superstar. 

I just don’t see Nutting agreeing to pay any player that kind of money, even if the market indicates that’s the rate for a player like Reynolds.  Nutting operates in his own market.

I agree that Nutting operates in his own market, but soon he is going to have to operate differently. What will he do with Cruz ? If I remember correctly the Pirates are still involved with some type of litigation with the Players Association due to salary spending. If they decide that their best and final offer to Reynolds was back in December, they better do something to lockup Cruz before he gets too expensive.
GreenWeenie

Bryan Reynolds

Post by GreenWeenie »

Fj,

What's so diff?

Take the stitching away, and we've seen it before. 

McCutchen stayed ONLY because he gave up market value.  Several others have, too.  Without that, he would have been gone.  It's gone on since Barry Bonds or maybe earlier.

These guys know how the Pirates operate.  Their reps and union leaders know.  We all know.

And, we know how players operate.

Enjoy them while they're here. What else can we do?

I'm not losing sleep over Reynolds.  I hope that he stays, but we've watched better guys go.  I guess that I've become immune to this.
fjk090852-7

Bryan Reynolds

Post by fjk090852-7 »

192C3B3B30093B3B30373B5E0 wrote: Fj,

What's so diff?

Take the stitching away, and we've seen it before. 

McCutchen stayed ONLY because he gave up market value.  Several others have, too.  Without that, he would have been gone.  It's gone on since Barry Bonds or maybe earlier.

These guys know how the Pirates operate.  Their reps and union leaders know.  We all know.

And, we know how players operate.

Enjoy them while they're here. What else can we do?

I'm not losing sleep over Reynolds.  I hope that he stays, but we've watched better guys go.  I guess that I've become immune to this.
I know how they operate, but maybe this time is different. If they decide not to offer a long term agreement, and they want to retain him take him to arbitration the next two years, and then make the qualifying offer. The two years of arbitration will probably cost in the neighborhood of 30 million dollars. I guess I get tired of losing our better players. I know the small market crap, but the Pirates could increase their payroll like other small market teams.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Bryan Reynolds

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

434F4E151C151D10170812250 wrote: I'm not sick of him and hope he stays, but who was better him or Jason Bay?  He's good but not the superstar. 

I just don’t see Nutting agreeing to pay any player that kind of money, even if the market indicates that’s the rate for a player like Reynolds.  Nutting operates in his own market.

I agree that Nutting operates in his own market, but soon he is going to  have to operate differently. What will he do with Cruz ? If I remember correctly the Pirates are still involved with some type of litigation with the Players Association due to salary spending. If they decide that their best and final offer to Reynolds was back in December, they better do something to lockup Cruz before he gets too expensive.

I don’t see anything forcing Nutting to “operate differently”. He’s already had opportunities to do so with players like McCutchen and Cole. Paying players the money he has to must grate on him. He has little interest in keeping or acquiring high paid players because winning is secondary, and always will be.

And I don’t think he’ll be moved by whatever ruling might come out of litigation with the Player’s Union. He’s going to run his franchise the way he sees fit. We’re stuck with this guy.