Early free agency outlook

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

6B464B5A5D4C5B1B18290 wrote: The Correa situation becomes more interesting as the Mets have been reported to be considering walking away from the deal, and Boras is said to be in contact with other teams about Correa’s availability. 

It may take awhile but, if 29 teams decide to not touch Correa, the Bucs might be able to swoop in and make him an offer, like two years at $400 million.  The first year would be at $5 million, with a team option for a second year at $395 million Nutting’s no fool.
In other words, Correa would know he was getting 5 million to play for the Pirates for 1 year. If the Mets deal falls through, he'll get a lot better offers than that from much better teams than the Pirates.

I was being facetious.
2drfischer@gmail.c

The Dodgers designate Trevor Bauer for assignment. Will another organization want him?
2drfischer@gmail.c

Correa officially signs with Minnesota. I wonder how the Twins physical differs from the ones given by the Giants and Mets?
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

Not a free agent but the Padres just signed Juan Soto- 23 million

for this year to avoid arbitration
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I just looked at the remaining players listed on the MLB Trade Rumors site and there are several players such as Robbie Grossman, Michael Wacha, Tyler Naquin and others who are remain unsigned. Most of the remaining free agents are players in their 30s, and several have had good track records. I know we as fans cannot do much about the financial disparity in baseball, but it is getting to the point where the high end players get the large salaries, and then the remaining players are in the pre arbitration group. Many of the players in the middle range are being phased out of MLB, so they have either an option to play overseas,or retire when they still may have something left to bring to a team. There are 4 more years remaining under the CBA, and it would be beneficial for the Owners and Players when they return to the bargaining table to somehow resolve the team and player disparity of MLB.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5C50510A030A020F08170D3A0 wrote: I just looked at the remaining players listed on the MLB Trade Rumors site and there are several players such as Robbie Grossman, Michael Wacha, Tyler Naquin and others who are remain unsigned. Most of the remaining free agents are players in their 30s, and several have had good track records. I know we as fans cannot do much about the  financial disparity in baseball, but it is getting to the point where the high end players get the large salaries, and then the remaining players are in the pre arbitration group. Many of the players in the middle range are being phased out of MLB, so they have either an option to play overseas,or retire when they still may have something left to bring to a team. There are 4 more years remaining under the CBA, and it would be beneficial for the Owners and Players when they return to the bargaining table to somehow resolve the team and player disparity of MLB.
I don't think they're being phased out unless they are phasing themselves out. Grossman has made 5 million each of the past 2 years. He's been around for 10 years, has a career .245 BA and was at .246 or less in 7 of those years. His best asset is a high OBP. That's good in the Moneyball concept but Moneyball was created by a team that had little money for payroll. So it's difficult to parlay that skill into a big contract. He can be useful as a mediocre 4th OFer but why pay 5 million or so for that? Ben Gamel played for 1.8 million last year. I think Grossman will find a team unless he overvalues himself.

Wacha is coming off a fine season after 3 bad ones. He made 7 million in 2022 and probably is holding out for a big contract after going 11-2, 3.32 ERA last year. But it's understandable that teams would be hesitant to gamble a large contract on him after his combined record for the 3 previous seasons was 10-16 with a 5.11 ERA. Despite Naquin's pedigree as a 1st round draft pick in 2012, he's essentially a 4th OFer type. He made 4 million last year while batting .229 with an OBP of .282 and just 11 HRs.

Gamel is still out there too. These 2nd tier FAs usually sign late, often just before or during spring training when they realize they are not going to hear an offer better than the ones they've been hearing. Some teams spend wildly to get the most consistently productive players. But they don't want to overpay for marginal players. But those players can still find a team if they don't make unreasonable contract demands.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

I think those mid tier FA's have seen the boat sail on those days they might get a 2-3 year contract. I know the MLBPA wanted the new CBA to somehow help those guys out. The reality is, teams are locking up better and much younger players long term, and the larger market teams are doing what they always have with the superstar players. There's only so many roster spots. Those types of guys basically get jobs as stop gaps for teams who don't have a LMG ready for the major league level, or are not wanting to start someone's clock.

This is their new reality. Not a bad one though. Sign a one year deal, usually with a small market team or a team going no where, get flipped at the deadline to a competitor and a possible playoff run with those playoff checks. Start the whole thing over the next season.

Their reality is also waiting by a phone that never rings again once the current season is in the books. Tough way to find out you're done.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Evidently, Trevor Bauer isn't worth even a measly $3 million to even one of the 30 major league team owners. Bauer has signed with a Japanese team for this season for that amount. I've just gained a little bit of respect for those guys.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

$4 mil + incentives.  That, plus what the Dodgers owe him.

Edit- like everything else with this story, one report says this.  Another says that.  So, who knows? One thing we know- he's making money.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Trevor Bauer reported to his new team today in Japan. I really admire the 30 major league owners and their GMs for, at least for now, wanting nothing to do with him.