The Roster

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

The Roster

Post by fjk090852-7 »

7358595C5C595E63445144595F5E300 wrote: Thinking CSN over Suwinski, need players that can get on base.
I agree with you. Suwinski strikes out too often in my opinion. Sure he hit 19 homers last season, but the strikeouts have continued this spring. If Swaggerty hits the ground running at Indy, and Suwinski struggles I could see the Pirates making a move by mid May.
UtahPirate

The Roster

Post by UtahPirate »

2E2223787178707D7A657F480 wrote: Thinking CSN over Suwinski, need players that can get on base.
I agree with you. Suwinski strikes out too often in my opinion. Sure he hit 19 homers last season, but the strikeouts have continued this spring. If Swaggerty hits the ground running at Indy, and Suwinski struggles I could see the Pirates making a move by mid May.

I hope the leash is short. It is really hard to see someone K about 50% of the time. I get that Suwinski showed a bit last year (at least at PNC), but he's a guy that skipped AAA and it sure seems like he needs more seasoning there. OTOH, I think Swaggety is a great story and I'm hopeful the charge he put into his play in Spring will last.
MaineBucs

The Roster

Post by MaineBucs »

It looks like most of the non-suspense regarding the opening day roster is coming into view.

Delay is the choice at catcher over Heineman and Plawecki.

DeLosSantos was optioned, and I assume that both Stephenson and Brubaker will be on the IL. Thus, it appears that the Rule 5 pick, Hernandez, will stick, and that Zamora makes it as the second lefty.

Smith-Njigba also is the 4th/5th outfielder. This is the biggest surprise of spring training to me. In January, I assumed that he would be starting at AAA, particularly because of last year's injury.

No sightings of Judge, Swanson, or Machado being added to the roster at the last minute. We got what we have and need to hope that all perform better than any of us have a right to expect.
Bobster21

The Roster

Post by Bobster21 »

153931363D1A2D3B2B580 wrote: It looks like most of the non-suspense regarding the opening day roster is coming into view.

DeLosSantos was optioned, and I assume that both Stephenson and Brubaker will be on the IL.  Thus, it appears that the Rule 5 pick, Hernandez, will stick, and that Zamora makes it as the second lefty. 

Smith-Njigba also is the 4th/5th outfielder.   This is the biggest surprise of spring training to me.  In January, I assumed that he would be starting at AAA, particularly because of last year's injury.

No sightings of Judge, Swanson, or Machado being added to the roster at the last minute.  We got what we have and need to hope that all perform better than any of us have a right to expect.
Delay hit .213 last year so he will be considered the better hitting catcher compared to Hedges. LOL. But I'm glad for Delay. He managed to hang on as a light-hitting catcher in the minors until making his MLB debut (basically by default) at age 27, became the Pirates' primary catcher last year and now he makes the opening day roster, even if the competition for backup catcher was less than exhilarating.

Nice to see Smith-Njigba and Bae make the team.
fjk090852-7

The Roster

Post by fjk090852-7 »

7C515C4D4A5B4C0C0F3E0 wrote: It looks like most of the non-suspense regarding the opening day roster is coming into view.

DeLosSantos was optioned, and I assume that both Stephenson and Brubaker will be on the IL.  Thus, it appears that the Rule 5 pick, Hernandez, will stick, and that Zamora makes it as the second lefty. 

Smith-Njigba also is the 4th/5th outfielder.   This is the biggest surprise of spring training to me.  In January, I assumed that he would be starting at AAA, particularly because of last year's injury.

No sightings of Judge, Swanson, or Machado being added to the roster at the last minute.  We got what we have and need to hope that all perform better than any of us have a right to expect.
Delay hit .213 last year so he will be considered the better hitting catcher compared to Hedges. LOL. But I'm glad for Delay. He managed to hang on as a light-hitting catcher in the minors until making his MLB debut (basically by default) at age 27, became the Pirates' primary catcher last year and now he makes the opening day roster, even if the competition for backup catcher was less than exhilarating.

I too am glad both these players made the Opening Day roster. If Bae can get on base he is a threat to steal. The Pirates need that weapon because they are not going to hit many home runs. Smith-Njigba sure looked good in ST, and I hope he carries that success into the season.
Ecbucs

The Roster

Post by Ecbucs »

333F3E656C656D60677862550 wrote: It looks like most of the non-suspense regarding the opening day roster is coming into view.

I too am glad both these players made the Opening Day roster. If Bae can get on base he is a threat to steal. The Pirates need that weapon because they are not going to hit many home runs. Smith-Njigba sure looked good in ST, and I hope he carries that success into the season.
with the bigger bases Bae will be a terror on the basepaths. I hope he plays quite a bit at least until he shows he is lacking. Same with Smith-Njigba. I don't care about at bats for Choi or Santana although they are going to get their chance. IMO, this is the last hurrah for Santana and he should be dealt the first time another team wants him.
ChillinStation

The Roster

Post by ChillinStation »

Santana and Cutch are going to lead The Charge to 90 wins. Or whatever my prediction was  :P. Ready for the season, I prefer to listen then watch. And I read Box scores every day. That`s how I fell for the game.
3pirates3

The Roster

Post by 3pirates3 »

"The Pirates set their Opening Day roster, adding C Jason Delay and LHP Rob Zastryzny, placing RHPs JT Brubaker and Robert Stephenson on 15-day IL and LHP Jarlin Garcia on 60-day IL and DFA OF Ryan Vilade." - Gorman

https://twitter.com/KevinGormanPGH/stat ... 0739241984
UtahPirate

The Roster

Post by UtahPirate »

4F6465606065625F786D786563620C0 wrote: Santana and Cutch are going to lead The Charge to 90 wins. Or whatever my prediction was  :P. Ready for the season, I prefer to listen then watch. And I read Box scores every day. That`s how I fell for the game.

I get so optimistic at the start of each season ... but a lot of downer posts on OBN. Not sure I can go as over-the-top as you Chillin, but I think we have so much depth in AAA this year that we won't run out of possible SPs, RPs, or Cs. I think that is what will pay off most as we start the marathon season today.

Listening to some Dead and Company as I work and I'm going to let your good vibes cover me for awhile too ... :)
UtahPirate

The Roster

Post by UtahPirate »

10534A514257465010230 wrote: "The Pirates set their Opening Day roster, adding C Jason Delay and LHP Rob Zastryzny, placing RHPs JT Brubaker and Robert Stephenson on 15-day IL and LHP Jarlin Garcia on 60-day IL and DFA OF Ryan Vilade." - Gorman

https://twitter.com/KevinGormanPGH/stat ... 0739241984

Been waiting for the Vilalde drop for awhile. If they want to keep him around, now was probably the best time as other teams shave their rosters.