Impact Rookies

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Impact Rookies

Post by Ecbucs »

547974656273642427160 wrote: I don't advocate firing NH. He's in the difficult position of working for an owner who's repeatedly proven himself to be unbelievably cheap. I fear a different GM would do even worse under those same constraints. There just isn't an answer for this problem.  :(

A different GM could certainly do worse. But then somebody else might do better too. NH, unless he really thinks he can win a championship with the Pirates, should be a good candidate to move to another GM position with a higher salary and a better chance of winning.

I wonder if he would risk leaving what could be a steady job with the Pirates for a chance at winning? Has it been announced yet that he has signed an extension?
Bobster21

Impact Rookies

Post by Bobster21 »

476160776171020 wrote: I don't advocate firing NH. He's in the difficult position of working for an owner who's repeatedly proven himself to be unbelievably cheap. I fear a different GM would do even worse under those same constraints. There just isn't an answer for this problem.  :(

A different GM could certainly do worse.  But then somebody else might do better too.  NH, unless he really thinks he can win a championship with the Pirates, should be a good candidate to move to another GM position with a higher salary and a better chance of winning.

I wonder if he would risk leaving what could be a steady job with the Pirates for a chance at winning?  Has it been announced yet that he has signed an extension?
No word on an extension yet. I suspect he would like to try to GM a team without the Nutting handcuffs.
Tintin

Impact Rookies

Post by Tintin »

0A2C2D3A2C3C4F0 wrote: I don't advocate firing NH. He's in the difficult position of working for an owner who's repeatedly proven himself to be unbelievably cheap. I fear a different GM would do even worse under those same constraints. There just isn't an answer for this problem.  :(

A different GM could certainly do worse.  But then somebody else might do better too.  NH, unless he really thinks he can win a championship with the Pirates, should be a good candidate to move to another GM position with a higher salary and a better chance of winning.

I wonder if he would risk leaving what could be a steady job with the Pirates for a chance at winning?  Has it been announced yet that he has signed an extension?

Who? Who would do better? I want names.

NH does great with the cards he's been dealt.
dmetz

Impact Rookies

Post by dmetz »

35080F15080F610 wrote: I don't advocate firing NH. He's in the difficult position of working for an owner who's repeatedly proven himself to be unbelievably cheap. I fear a different GM would do even worse under those same constraints. There just isn't an answer for this problem.  :(

Who?  Who would do better?   I want names. 

You need names of baseball people who are already GMs? What on Earth are you talking about, you need names?

How would you know they would be better or worse?
Ecbucs

Impact Rookies

Post by Ecbucs »

4C71766C7176180 wrote: I don't advocate firing NH. He's in the difficult position of working for an owner who's repeatedly proven himself to be unbelievably cheap. I fear a different GM would do even worse under those same constraints. There just isn't an answer for this problem.  :(

maybe TinTin and Skinnyhorse could do better.
Aaron

Impact Rookies

Post by Aaron »

00323E3E2A183B323F3A3532530 wrote: It's not something to strive for and you can't discount the beginning of the year.  But fifty percent of the time we've been better than the other team, and 50 percent worse.  That's what average means. 

After tonight's loss, I wanted to check back with you on this.

When we were discussing this the other day, you were saying that we get like a +6 on our record, since Neal gets some sort of handicap.

So, with us now being seven games under .500, we're actually just one game under .500, right?

Or does the handicap increase once we fall under the new "Neal .500," line?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Impact Rookies

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

6855524855523C0 wrote: No.  I am just pointing out the negativity.  Liriano and 2016 always comes up even though the front office was so great from 2011-2015 turning the ship around and making the playoffs three years in a row.

Yes, it is sad that people focus more on 2016 and that trade than all the positive that did happen and can be on the verge of happening again. 

People even want to fire Huntington??? 

Sorry. That trade was genius.  You got rid of 17 million dollars for a bad attitude guy who had lost it didn't want to be here and replaced him with Nova with that contract saving paying for 65 of Nova's contract.  McGuire is going to grow up and be Chris Stewart.

Bad contracts hamstring low payroll teams ("hi, I'm Homer Bailey").

I dint like it at the time, but this trade gets better as time goes on.  It's too bad 2/3rds of out fan base would rather be "right" and play the "Nutting is cheap card" when NH played last year trade season like a Stradivarius.

Yep, but people still bring it up as a terrible trade. It is always twisted in how it went down too. No matter what, it turned out to be a good trade.
SammyKhalifa

Impact Rookies

Post by SammyKhalifa »

6747544948260 wrote: It's not something to strive for and you can't discount the beginning of the year.  But fifty percent of the time we've been better than the other team, and 50 percent worse.  That's what average means. 

After tonight's loss, I wanted to check back with you on this.

When we were discussing this the other day, you were saying that we get like a +6 on our record, since Neal gets some sort of handicap.

So, with us now being seven games under .500, we're actually just one game under .500, right?

Or does the handicap increase once we fall under the new "Neal .500," line?

You know exactly what I meant, and I'm done with you.
Tintin

Impact Rookies

Post by Tintin »

38313928265C0 wrote: I don't advocate firing NH. He's in the difficult position of working for an owner who's repeatedly proven himself to be unbelievably cheap. I fear a different GM would do even worse under those same constraints. There just isn't an answer for this problem.  :(

You need names of baseball people who are already GMs?   What on Earth are you talking about, you need names?

How would you know they would be better or worse?   

And that's what I'm saying. Everyone says NH should be fired. I want to know who he will be replaced with. Who is this new GM who will build a team that can win a World Series, keep together a top 8 farm system, make shrewed trades and mine the world for talent, all while having a budget that is 75% or more less than his competition is doing. If people want NH gone, I want to know who they plan to replace him with.

It's the same thing with "we need to spend more". Fantastic idea. Who do we spend it on? I want names.....not just "pitching".
Tintin

Impact Rookies

Post by Tintin »

5F79786F79691A0 wrote: I don't advocate firing NH. He's in the difficult position of working for an owner who's repeatedly proven himself to be unbelievably cheap. I fear a different GM would do even worse under those same constraints. There just isn't an answer for this problem.  :(

maybe TinTin and Skinnyhorse could do better.

You wouldn't want me as GM.

I would trade Cutch now for the best hi end prospect package or young controllable players I could get (not sure the market for Cutch or who needs a OF).

I would go to the Yankees and try to get Torres (sell low) and Frazier plus more for Cole.

I'd go back to the Nats and try to get Robles, Glover and Joe Ross for Rivero.

I would be a bad GM because I love the team more than the players. If a player can bring a surplus of talent for his contract, I look to deal.

My exception is Rivero. I feel that a closer with his his upside would bring a king's ransom. It's a luxury that could be used to acquire necessities. I would have never traded Simmons like the Braves did as I feel that a cost controlled defensive SS is almost irreplaceable.

I think the draft was handled well. I wish they would try to splash the Latin American market, but I don't hate the wide net strategy either. I would also scout Korea for the next Kang.