Positive Thought

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Tintin

Positive Thought

Post by Tintin »

Let's talk about how good Ell is. He's be walking away with the ROY in any year but this one...

Or how Taillon seems to have beaten cancer while remaining a good MLB pitcher....

Or how good Trevor has been, both on the mound and on the twittersphere....

Or how much fun it is to see the Cardinals falling apart.....

Or how awesome it is to see 73 throw 101 and then throw an 80 mph change....

Or despite his knuckleheadedness, how good it is to see Marte back, hopefully contrite and committed....

And how nice it is to see 22 smile, perform well and be in black and gold.
johnfluharty

Positive Thought

Post by johnfluharty »

It literally took me 5 minutes to figure out who the heck Ell was. LOL. ;D
Bobster21

Positive Thought

Post by Bobster21 »

777275737B7168757C6F69641D0 wrote: It literally took me 5 minutes to figure out who the heck Ell was.  LOL.   ;D
Me too. I'm assuming it's Osh Ell. ;D
JollyRoger

Positive Thought

Post by JollyRoger »

745850575C7B4C5A4A390 wrote: I have generally supported NH's tenure as GM, although some of his moves this year have left me scratching my head.  For example, going with only 2 real outfielders for much of the season, having what appeared to be an obsession with light hitting middle infielders (Gift, Gosselin, Moroff, Hanson, et al), and sticking with Glasnow when the results just weren't coming.    

That said, the 'Theme' of this thread is Positive Thought.   Thus, a few random positive thoughts, with some kudos to NH.

1)  Did we really manage to trade a assistant pitching coach for at least 6 years of a controlled starting pitcher who appears to be no worse than a #4 starter?  The Pirates may not have drafted Trevor Williams, but when Miami came calling it appears that our scouts unearthed a potential gem.    

2)  Did we really manage to acquire a shut down reliever who throws as high as 102 mph (repeat 102 mph), who has some really great secondary pitches, who is showing more control than in his past, and who regularly can pitch multiple innings and get out of jams?  Oh, and he is a lefty to boot.  And, he managed to obtain another longer term prospect with promise in the same transaction.   Melancon was a very good reliever for the Pirates.  If Rivero can continue to perform as he has this year he likely will be even better than Melancon, a pitcher who commanded a very large multi-year contract this off-season and one who has battled injury problems.   Again, kudos to the scouting department and to the man who made the decision to hire the talent evaluators.

3)  Nova did not appear to have many (any) other suitors this off-season.  NH inked him to a very reasonable deal, both dollars and length of contract, and he has outperformed many free agents.  In short, NH may have signed the free agent starter who offers the most return based on the amount expended. 

4)  The Bucs will always need to rely on young (read low cost) ballplayers.  While some have not performed all that well, many have been real pluses to the Pirates.

Bell looks like a fixture at first and that the Pirates made the right decision to convert him to a first baseman.  It also appears that the Pirates eased his transition into the majors at an appropriate pace.

Frazier has fallen off a bit lately, but he has been an asset on offense, albeit a bit more limited in the quality of his defense. 

Osuana, who was not that heralded of a prospect, is performing well in fairly limited action.  Quite a few big hits and he looks like he belongs in the majors.  If he really can make the conversion to 3rd --- Wow!

Kuhl has had some rough starts, but I believe he has the stuff to be a good major league starter.   While the results have not always been ideal, moving 3 new pitchers who are essentially rookies into the regular starting rotation in 1 season (Tallion, Williams, and Kuhl) and with Brault and potentially even Glasnow is a significant accomplishment.

In short, some things have gone really wrong this year, but hey, there are some positives as well, and our GM has helped to make the positives happen. 

Very good post. Especially the comments regarding Williams. I had forgotten that we acquired him for a pitching coach.

I believe that Osuna has the potential to be Aramis Ramirez part 2.

I would definitely work I out at 3B.

I also agree with you about Kuhl. He has the stuff to be a solid #2 or #3 starter
Ecbucs

Positive Thought

Post by Ecbucs »

0934332934335D0 wrote: Let's talk about how good Ell is.  He's be walking away with the ROY in any year but this one...

Or how Taillon seems to have beaten cancer while remaining a good MLB pitcher....

Or how good Trevor has been, both on the mound and on the twittersphere....

Or how much fun it is to see the Cardinals falling apart.....

Or how awesome it is to see 73 throw 101 and then throw an 80 mph change....

Or despite his knuckleheadedness, how good it is to see Marte back, hopefully contrite and committed....

And how nice it is to see 22 smile, perform well and be in black and gold.
Great post, agree 100%!
Tintin

Positive Thought

Post by Tintin »

707572747C766F727B686E631A0 wrote: It literally took me 5 minutes to figure out who the heck Ell was.  LOL.   ;D

Crap!!! I meant Osh Ell is freakin' awesome ?$7baseman.
ArnoldRothstein

Positive Thought

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

23100C0D0E06300D160A1116070B0C620 wrote:

The early 70s Pirates made the postseason 3 years in a row, then stumbled around for a year and a half. After 86 games in 1974, they found themselves 37-49, but righted to ship to go 51-25 the rest of the way, and clinch a weak division on the last day of the season.

The 1974 team had also gone off at this point, winning 10 of 11 to improve to 47-50 after 97 games.  They were 3 games out of first place.

After their July streak, the 1974ers stumbled again, losing 7 of 11 to reach the 2/3 mark of the season at 51-57.
ArnoldRothstein

Positive Thought

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

60534F4E4D45734E5549525544484F210 wrote:

The early 70s Pirates made the postseason 3 years in a row, then stumbled around for a year and a half. After 86 games in 1974, they found themselves 37-49, but righted to ship to go 51-25 the rest of the way, and clinch a weak division on the last day of the season.

The 1974 team had also gone off at this point, winning 10 of 11 to improve to 47-50 after 97 games.  They were 3 games out of first place.

After their July streak, the 1974ers stumbled again, losing 7 of 11 to reach the 2/3 mark of the season at 51-57.

After 115 games in 1974, the Pirates were 57-58, and 2.5 games behind. They were seven games into a run where they went 26-5.
UtahPirate

Positive Thought

Post by UtahPirate »

Guess I'll put this in this positive thought thread. I was sure hoping for a second win after getting the first on one Friday in TOR. Off today then our schedule in the next few weeks is interesting (to say the least). 2 @ MIL then 4 at home with STL followed by 4 with LAD. Then 3 @ the CIN and 3 @ CHC. I would guess these 16 games pretty much dictate the season. Can't play .500 ball and below over this stretch. But every team is tough.

On the good news front. I was in SD a week and a half ago to watch the Pirates play. It was Luplow's first game -- and he was awful. Not just bad, but awful. As I recall, he hit a dribbler to the pitcher, popped up to the pitcher and struck out twice looking. He bobbled a ball (right below us in RF) that probably led to a runner scoring in a 3 to 2 loss. It was so bad, it was in a way comical. I thought it must have played havoc on his psyche. Knowing OBN, I would imagine a few posters were scathing in their opinions.

Many times a player will come up to the majors, fail in their first attempt and go back to AAA and slump (often badly) not being able to overcome the failure they experienced. I just thought I'd give you a look at what Luplow has done in his last 10 games:

AB      R   H   HR   RBI   BB   K

8/3  @COL.     4      0   1   0      0     0      1

8/4 @LOU       4     0    0   0     0      0      2

8/5 @LOU       2     0    1   0     0      3      0

8/7   BUF        3     1    3   0     0      0      0

8/8   BUF        3     1    2   1     3      0      1

8/9   BUF        4     0    0   0     0      0      1

8/10 SYR        4     1    2   0     1      0       0

8/11 SYR        4     0    2   0     0      0       1

8/12 SYR        4     2    2   1     1      0       2

8/13 SYR        4     0    2   0     0      0       1

36    5   15  2      5      3       9   .417

I find this to be tremendously impressive given what occurred.

For the year he is hitting .308 in AA and AAA combined with 19 2B     23 HR and an OBP of .943

Luplow has turned himself into a serious prospect. I'd imagine he has taken the lessons from failure he learned and is focused on making sure it doesn't happen the next time he gets the opportunity. We're sure to see him again this year.
Ecbucs

Positive Thought

Post by Ecbucs »

1130252C142D36253021440 wrote: Guess I'll put this in this positive thought thread. I was sure hoping for a second win after getting the first on one Friday in TOR. Off today then our schedule in the next few weeks is interesting (to say the least). 2 @ MIL then 4 at home with STL followed by 4 with LAD. Then 3 @ the CIN and 3 @ CHC. I would guess these 16 games pretty much dictate the season. Can't play .500 ball and below over this stretch. But every team is tough.

On the good news front. I was in SD a week and a half ago to watch the Pirates play. It was Luplow's first game -- and he was awful. Not just bad, but awful. As I recall, he hit a dribbler to the pitcher, popped up to the pitcher and struck out twice looking. He bobbled a ball (right below us in RF) that probably led to a runner scoring in a 3 to 2 loss. It was so bad, it was in a way comical. I thought it must have played havoc on his psyche. Knowing OBN, I would imagine a few posters were scathing in their opinions.

Many times a player will come up to the majors, fail in their first attempt and go back to AAA and slump (often badly) not being able to overcome the failure they experienced. I just thought I'd give you a look at what Luplow has done in his last 10 games:

AB      R   H   HR   RBI   BB   K

8/3  @COL.     4      0   1   0      0     0      1

8/4 @LOU       4     0    0   0     0      0      2

8/5 @LOU       2     0    1   0     0      3      0

8/7   BUF        3     1    3   0     0      0      0

8/8   BUF        3     1    2   1     3      0      1

8/9   BUF        4     0    0   0     0      0      1

8/10 SYR        4     1    2   0     1      0       0

8/11 SYR        4     0    2   0     0      0       1

8/12 SYR        4     2    2   1     1      0       2

8/13 SYR        4     0    2   0     0      0       1

36    5   15  2      5      3       9   .417

I find this to be tremendously impressive given what occurred.

For the year he is hitting .308 in AA and AAA combined with 19 2B     23 HR and an OBP of .943

Luplow has turned himself into a serious prospect. I'd imagine he has taken the lessons from failure he learned and is focused on making sure it doesn't happen the next time he gets the opportunity. We're sure to see him again this year.

Nice post. The way he just started hitting when sent down to AAA is a good sign that he is going to bounce back next time he is the majors. Failing a short stint in Pittsburgh this year is not a big negative. Heck, coming into the year, the odds were low that he would even be in line for a September call up.

There is a good chance that he starts with team next year out of spring training.