Nicassio and LeBlanc placed on Irrevoccable Waivers

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Well this certainly backfired - here the Pirates were simply trying to be nice guys to Nicassio so he can participate in the playoffs. Darn if Philly doesn't prove to be heartless, unlike our lovable losers.

Sorry Juan, we certainly intended this out of nothing more than pure benevolence.

And if Philly flips him for anything, I'll never respect that heartless organization again!
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

646F676B6E6F743137407961686F6F2E636F000 wrote: Are they able to trade him? Seems at the very least the whole process would start again, and they'd have to put him on revocable waivers, so a trade couldn't be made today.

But if they can, good move by the Phillies.  Imagine this scenario:

"Hey Philly, claim Nicasio and we will trade you _____ in return."

I have no idea how long this process takes.  Playoff rosters are set tonight, but I am sure Nicasio can help a contender get to the playoffs.

Philly also needs pitchers for next year.  Maybe the claimed him as a tryout to try to extend him?

Philly really has no use for him this year ... at all.  The smartest thing they can do is flip him for a prospect that could work out down the road.  I doubt they are giving him a tryout to see if they want to extend him for next year.  Do you do that in the Phillies situation with set up guys soon to be a free agent?  I don't think so.

They will get first crack at him before he is a free agent.  So, if they were planning on signing him in the off season, they will have a jump start in the process.

So what you're saying now is that they may have signed him for $600k for the rest of this year for the purpose of having until 5 days after the world series ends to negotiate an extension with him?

The Phillies traded us Benoit and a $25k trade waiver.. and picked up some/most of Benoit's  salary.   In return we traded them Seth McGarry and Juan Nicasio, and they picked up his remaining ~600 k salary.

that's one hell of a trade!  Kudos!
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

7B727A6B651F0 wrote: Are they able to trade him? Seems at the very least the whole process would start again, and they'd have to put him on revocable waivers, so a trade couldn't be made today.

But if they can, good move by the Phillies.  Imagine this scenario:

"Hey Philly, claim Nicasio and we will trade you _____ in return."

I have no idea how long this process takes.  Playoff rosters are set tonight, but I am sure Nicasio can help a contender get to the playoffs.

Philly also needs pitchers for next year.  Maybe the claimed him as a tryout to try to extend him?

Philly really has no use for him this year ... at all.  The smartest thing they can do is flip him for a prospect that could work out down the road.  I doubt they are giving him a tryout to see if they want to extend him for next year.  Do you do that in the Phillies situation with set up guys soon to be a free agent?  I don't think so.

They will get first crack at him before he is a free agent.  So, if they were planning on signing him in the off season, they will have a jump start in the process.

So what you're saying now is that they may have signed him for $600k for the rest of this year for the purpose of having until 5 days after the world series ends to negotiate an extension with him?

The Phillies traded us Benoit and a $25k trade waiver.. and picked up some/most of Benoit's  salary.   In return we traded them Seth McGarry and Juan Nicasio, and they picked up his remaining ~600 k salary.

that's one hell of a trade!  Kudos!

I did say "maybe". Yes, it is possibility, scenario that could happen or be their reasoning.

A strange move by the Pirates became even stranger by the Phillies. The Phillies are going for the first pick in the draft. Why would they risk that by getting better now?
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

3222231402020E610 wrote:

Philly really has no use for him this year ... at all. 

5259515D5859420701764F575E5959185559360 wrote:

A strange move by the Pirates became even stranger by the Phillies.  The Phillies are going for the first pick in the draft.  Why would they risk that by getting better now?

They're playing baseball for another month. They might be out of contention, but there are still real games that people come out to see.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

It's not a strange move by the Phillies at all lol.

They had first shot out of 28 other teams to have a good setup man for a month of the season for a pittance

Why not? Is the better question.   When all else fails when doing mental cartwheels trying to defend idiocy,  blame the team who signed him for their stupidity. 

I'm glad nobody claimed him the first time through waivers and he has no value
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Phillies BP is banged up right now. They still have a month to play and he was too good to pass up since the cost of $660,000 is virtually insignificant---to everyone but Nutting. Here's an article from a Phillies site.

https://www.thegoodphight.com/2017/8/31 ... an-nicasio

Nicasio will join a Phils pitching staff that is battered by injuries. Jerad Eickhoff was just placed on the 10-day disabled list with tingling in his hand. Vince Velasquez’ season is over after a similar injury knocked him out of action. The young starters who have been taking their place have been knocked out of games early. As a result, the bullpen has been stretched thin over the last month or so, making a pitcher of Nicasio’s ability and durability a most welcome addition.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

NHs statement is a clear lie, btw.  I'm skeptical the claiming team will leak who they were because that's not the way business is done, but there's a chance we will find out.

Not to mention he was claimed just a few days into August. No doubt about that.  Which makes NH look like a bigger idiot.   

When you wait until after July 31st, you can have a team put a claim in without any intention to give you much.  To "block" you, as he said it.   

Just like we did with Kontos, for instance.  We put a claim in before 20 other teams got a shot...and we sat on it.  Offered absolutely nothing.   They somewhat surprisingly didn't revoke and let it go through.

Once it breaks who the team was, how early in August it was , NH is going to look even dumber.   Although it will be said that the leak is BS and the leaker has an axe to grind...goes with the territory.

He had no value though...ROFL.   I mean, people are paying subscription fees to have writers peddle that nonsense to them. Whatever.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

If the Philly pen is that banged up can we also offer them LeBlanc, Benoit and Kontos?

While pitching in the major leagues is not a bad gig regardless of where you are pitching, I am disappointed for Juan that he ended up with a team with a worse record than the Pirates. I liked that Nicassio always seemed ready to take the hill, regardless of the role that the Pirates asked him to fill, and that he always seemed to give it his all.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

So NH didn't want to trade him to an NL contender (which he acknowledges the Pirates are not so what's the difference. At least get something in return). And he waives him outright in hopes of him being claimed by an AL team. So he assumed every single NL team including those same contenders who would have traded for him will pass when they don't have to give up anything for him and they pay him next to nothing. The BS just goes round and round because the cheapest owner in MLB just wanted to save $660,000. The Philiies are going nowhere but have injuries in the BP and couldn't pass up a good reliever for next to nothing. Yet the Pirates act like since he was a pending FA they had no choice but to let him go either by trade or outright release. I don't envy NH having to try to sell this nonsense to the fan base.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7A575A4B4C5D4A0A09380 wrote: So NH didn't want to trade him to an NL contender (which he acknowledges the Pirates are not so what's the difference. At least get something in return). And he waives him outright in hopes of him being claimed by an AL team. So he assumed every single NL team including those same contenders who would have traded for him will pass when they don't have to give up anything for him and they pay him next to nothing. The BS just goes round and round because the cheapest owner in MLB just wanted to save $660,000. The Philiies are going nowhere but have injuries in the BP and couldn't pass up a good reliever for next to nothing. Yet the Pirates act like since he was a pending FA they had no choice but to let him go either by trade or outright release. I don't envy NH having to try to sell this nonsense to the fan base.

It would have been better to just say,

He wasn't coming back next year so we weren't going to use him on the mound anyway.