Shohei Ohtani

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Shohei Ohtani

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Sources say he is done interviewing teams. Next, it is his decision.

What do you think?

I am going with the Padres.
SammyKhalifa

Shohei Ohtani

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I'm sticking with my guns.

I'd be happy for the Padres if it was them, though. 

But mostly please god not the cubs.
dmetz

Shohei Ohtani

Post by dmetz »

68636B676263783D3B4C756D646363226F630C0 wrote: Exactly.   NH is a PR idiot for bringing him up.   He was asked about what he's looking to do and NH went to Ohtani as if that was some real target.

People are dismissing it as company line, but when HE is the one who brings up the player (as opposed to being asked about him specifically) that's flat out BS propaganda being pushed.

I can't stand our GM

So, you think he didn't try or didn't make a pitch to Ohtani?  They can offer him top dollar compared to other teams. 

When he's asked a question about his plans, he spewed a bunch of pointless, unobtainable bullshit instead of real, bonafide possibilities.

I don't care what presentation he made, he might as well have been talking about signing Stanton.

UNLESS he was specifically asked about the player, there's no reason to go there when asked about plans.

NH is a joke now. A punchline at a cocktail party. and the day after he gets fired, you'll agree with me.
notes34

Shohei Ohtani

Post by notes34 »

4C454D5C52280 wrote: Exactly.   NH is a PR idiot for bringing him up.   He was asked about what he's looking to do and NH went to Ohtani as if that was some real target.

People are dismissing it as company line, but when HE is the one who brings up the player (as opposed to being asked about him specifically) that's flat out BS propaganda being pushed.

I can't stand our GM

So, you think he didn't try or didn't make a pitch to Ohtani?  They can offer him top dollar compared to other teams. 

When he's asked a question about his plans, he spewed a bunch of pointless, unobtainable bullshit instead of real, bonafide possibilities.   

I don't care what presentation he made, he might as well have been talking about signing Stanton.

UNLESS he was specifically asked about the player, there's no reason to go there when asked about plans. 

NH is a joke now.   A punchline at a cocktail party.   and the day after he gets fired, you'll agree with me.
I agree with you 100%. If we operated like a franchise he would've been fired by now.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Shohei Ohtani

7A737B6A641E0 wrote: Exactly.   NH is a PR idiot for bringing him up.   He was asked about what he's looking to do and NH went to Ohtani as if that was some real target.

I can't stand our GM

NH is a joke now.   A punchline at a cocktail party.   and the day after he gets fired, you'll agree with me.

It's because you don't ever believe him. You always think he is lying. If he would have not said any plan, you would have had the same reaction.

You would have been happy with "We have Rodriguez, the team is set" if that would have been said? That's really doubtful.

I am not a fan of Huntington right now, but that doesn't mean I think every word he says is a lie. I do think they had a plan to make a pitch for Ohtani. Just because it wasn't successful, doesn't mean it was a lie.
SammyKhalifa

Shohei Ohtani

Post by SammyKhalifa »

434A42535D270 wrote: Exactly.   NH is a PR idiot for bringing him up.   He was asked about what he's looking to do and NH went to Ohtani as if that was some real target.

I can't stand our GM

Seriously, what a joke.  What could have have said about the Otani situation that would satisfy people?  NOTHING would have made people happy.  Whatever he said, people were going to retroactively modify their arguments to show that he was wrong/lying.  We've already decided it's Huntington's fault:  let's invent a set of steps that gets us there.

I can only imagine the yinzer rage if the had come out and said that East Coast teams don't have a chance so he wasn't even going to bother.   

The statement out there about how they submitted an offer was more a pre-emptive strike agains the "he didn't even try" crowd. That's fine.

The Pirates did some due diligence on an opportunity that probably wasn't going to work out, it didn't, oh well.  There's no reason to work it so that it's somehow Huntington's fault.

There are plenty of other (real) opportunities for that.
rucker59@gmail.com

Shohei Ohtani

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

5B6965657143606964616E69080 wrote: Exactly.   NH is a PR idiot for bringing him up.   He was asked about what he's looking to do and NH went to Ohtani as if that was some real target.

I can't stand our GM

Seriously, what a joke.  What could have have said about the Otani situation that would satisfy people?  NOTHING would have made people happy.  Whatever he said, people were going to retroactively modify their arguments to show that he was wrong/lying.  We've already decided it's Huntington's fault:  let's invent a set of steps that gets us there.

I can only imagine the yinzer rage if the had come out and said that East Coast teams don't have a chance so he wasn't even going to bother.   

He should have said nothing. That's simple. I agree with Dmetz on this - say nothing.

What was your reaction when Neal made his comments? I rolled my eyes. Total BS - it's actually insulting to the fans that follow the team and know just a little bit about how MLB works and the Pirates place at the table - there WAS NO WAY the Pirates were even slightly a consideration. But Neal's out there pitching something (that has zero chance) as though the Pirates are running a real ML organization. No, they're not. And making a cost-controlled offer to a player that still hasn't heard of "Pittsburgh Pirates" is nothing but a smoke screen.

If Neal wants to get my attention, he'll do so by either blowing this team up or committing to it with some quality additions; the same test he has failed miserably the past two seasons. Standing still is the worst option of all. Talk is the worst "thing" he can do. Do something, show us something, spend some extra money. But don't talk about it, and then don't expect me or anyone to be content if he does nothing.
IABucFan

Shohei Ohtani

Post by IABucFan »

I agree with this. I think NH was in a damned if you do, damned if you don't position. That said, I still believe in being a man or woman of your word, which is part of being a person of integrity. And, NH said, they are going to do all they could to sign Ohtani. "All they could" includes earmarking $20 million for his posting fee.

Look...I don't care if they spend the money or not. I've been vocal since about August that it's time to blow it up. Trade everybody. Go the Astros route. If they have a payroll of $30 million next year, I won't care. Just don't go half way...either all in, or all out. All in means upgrading third base at a minimum. Probably catcher, maybe short, the bullpen. Apparently, they have $20 million with which to do that. But, if they aren't all in, meaning they aren't willing to pay that money to upgrade, then start the fire sale, because as it sits now, this is at best a 75 win team.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Shohei Ohtani

Yeah, I remember Jung Ho Kang's dream of playing for the Pirates and that was the only reason why he joined the team.  The picture of Kang in his Killer B's shirt at age 4 was so cute.  I knew he would be a Pirate some day.

They probably thought $20 million for Ohtani was a fair deal. He is 23 years old, will be under control, and the Pirates will get first shot at extending him. That doesn't mean they will just pay someone else $20 million. The value has to be there.

I sure hope they upgrade 3B and the Bullepn. But that doesn't mean one player will get $20 million a year. Ohtani is a special talent. Aren't posting fees paid over time?
SammyKhalifa

Shohei Ohtani

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7F77744355705758360 wrote: I agree with this. I think NH was in a damned if you do, damned if you don't position. That said, I still believe in being a man or woman of your word, which is part of being a person of integrity. And, NH said, they are going to do all they could to sign Ohtani. "All they could" includes earmarking $20 million for his posting fee.

Look...I don't care if they spend the money or not. I've been vocal since about August that it's time to blow it up. Trade everybody. Go the Astros route. If they have a payroll of $30 million next year, I won't care. Just don't go half way...either all in, or all out. All in means upgrading third base at a minimum. Probably catcher, maybe short, the bullpen. Apparently, they have $20 million with which to do that. But, if they aren't all in, meaning they aren't willing to pay that money to upgrade, then start the fire sale, because as it sits now, this is at best a 75 win team.

Yeah, being in between like we are is the worst place to be. If there's no new third baseman (which still might not be enough, who knows), no point in keeping stuff together.