Who will Bucs add to handle catching

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Appears that the Rangers are ready to sign Chirinos. Another catcher is removed from the list of available receivers. It is becoming very interesting as to the lack of interest they have in signing free agents who would appear to be in their salary range.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7F7372292029212C2B342E190 wrote: Appears that the Rangers are ready to sign Chirinos. Another catcher is removed from the list of available receivers. It is becoming very interesting as to the lack of interest they have in signing free agents who would appear to be in their salary range.
I think it's time to accept that the Pirates are not seeking an experienced catcher for the MLB roster. They are content with a Stallings/Maile combo and any additions will be AAA depth.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

694449585F4E59191A2B0 wrote: Appears that the Rangers are ready to sign Chirinos. Another catcher is removed from the list of available receivers. It is becoming very interesting as to the lack of interest they have in signing free agents who would appear to be in their salary range.
I think it's time to accept that the Pirates are not seeking an experienced catcher for the MLB roster. They are content with a Stallings/Maile combo and any additions will be AAA depth. 

I'd rather have a tandem of Sanguillen and Ott instead of what we have now.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

527F72636475622221100 wrote: Appears that the Rangers are ready to sign Chirinos. Another catcher is removed from the list of available receivers. It is becoming very interesting as to the lack of interest they have in signing free agents who would appear to be in their salary range.

it could be that if Marte is dealt a catcher will come back although I think the odds of getting someone ready for major league roster are slim.  You shouldn't look like you are desperate to get a catcher if you want to make a good deal. 

The Bucs probably had to pay well over market rate to get an experienced catcher in free agency. Will be interesting to see how the final mlb payroll turns out.

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Chirinos definitely too rich for the Bucs (Pirates probably would have needed to spend at least a million more to get him):

MLB.com’s Mark Feinsand tweets that Chirinos is guaranteed $6.75MM on the deal: a $5.75MM salary in 2020 (which matches his 2019 salary), plus at least a $1MM buyout on a $6.5MM club option for the 2021 season.
NewMexicoLobo

Post by NewMexicoLobo »

Lucroy?

We know he's no longer good, but ....
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Neglecting to address the catcher, SP, and RP situation is clear indication that this team has no design on competing in 2020, and the timeframe for a potential competitive window in undetermined. The primary "core" will be gone by 2022 (Marte, Bell, Taillon, Williams, Musgrove, Archer). So its hard to imagine that they have any belief that this group is good enough.

It is my impression that they will use 2020 to turnover the roster. I can see Polanco, Marte, Archer, Musgrove and Bell all traded at the deadline.
GermanTownship

Post by GermanTownship »

The Nutjob will wait it out until almost the beginning of spring training to sign a veteran catcher. Prediction, either Lucroy or Martin. He will continue to do this for all players to fill the roster. Remember, there are now 26 roster spots this year, and as a result, three catchers will now be on the roster.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4D6F78676B645E657D647962637A0A0 wrote: The Nutjob will wait it out until almost the beginning of spring training to sign a veteran catcher. Prediction, either Lucroy or Martin. He will continue to do this for all players to fill the roster. Remember, there are now 26 roster spots this year, and as a result, three catchers will now be on the roster.
I don't believe they will use the 26th man for a 3rd catcher. As it is, many teams have gone to an 8-man BP, carrying 13 pitchers. That leaves a 4-man bench instead of the usual 5. The 26th man enables them to carry 13 pitchers and still have a full 5-man bench. I don't believe 2 of those 5 will be catchers. More like it will be a versatile, super utility type.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

Prospects Jason Delay and Christian Kelley appear to have the best chance of ever catching a MLB game. Neither would appear to hit a lick at that level. Judging by our total lack of recent activity on the trade and FA market, the organization doesn't care. The good ones are gone.