Possible start to season in May-

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

36080D05160E0E0525001704610 wrote: Integrity's like crying.

There isn't any in baseball.
What do you mean? Bob cries all the time

I wonder why Pennies cries all the time?  Maybe its when one of his pennies goes into someone else's pocket!   ;D ;D ;D
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

416068416A62050 wrote: Playoffs are simple.  Turn back the clock.  The two teams with the best records in each league make the WS. If there is a tie for first in either league simply have a one-game playoff ala Brooklyn and the NY Giants in 1951 when Bobby Thompson of the Giants hit the "Shot Heard 'Round the World" off Dodgers' pitcher Ralph Branca.

Possum, the 1951 playoff between the Dodgers and Giants was actually a three game series.

If teams are tied after 162 games, than a one game playoff seems legitimate to me. But if the Wildcard Game is considered to be between two teams that made the playoffs, then it should be a series of games.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

267066727D67777C7166547379757D783A77140 wrote: Playoffs are simple.  Turn back the clock.  The two teams with the best records in each league make the WS. If there is a tie for first in either league simply have a one-game playoff ala Brooklyn and the NY Giants in 1951 when Bobby Thompson of the Giants hit the "Shot Heard 'Round the World" off Dodgers' pitcher Ralph Branca.

Possum, the 1951 playoff between the Dodgers and Giants was actually a three game series. 

If teams are tied after 162 games, than a one game playoff seems legitimate to me.  But if the Wildcard Game is considered to be between two teams that made the playoffs, then it should be a series of games. 

Doc, thanks for jogging my memory on that playoff series in 1951. I agree with what you are saying based on your jogging my memory. Sheesh! Its hell to get old and bald! :-[ :-[
2drfischer@gmail.c

78595178535B3C0 wrote: Playoffs are simple.  Turn back the clock.  The two teams with the best records in each league make the WS. If there is a tie for first in either league simply have a one-game playoff ala Brooklyn and the NY Giants in 1951 when Bobby Thompson of the Giants hit the "Shot Heard 'Round the World" off Dodgers' pitcher Ralph Branca.

If teams are tied after 162 games, than a one game playoff seems legitimate to me.  But if the Wildcard Game is considered to be between two teams that made the playoffs, then it should be a series of games. 

Doc, thanks for jogging my memory on that playoff series in 1951.  I agree with what you are saying based on your jogging my memory.  Sheesh!  Its hell to get old and bald! :-[ :-[

You're not old, Possum. You're ripe.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

752335212E34242F223507202A262E2B6924470 wrote: Playoffs are simple.  Turn back the clock.  The two teams with the best records in each league make the WS. If there is a tie for first in either league simply have a one-game playoff ala Brooklyn and the NY Giants in 1951 when Bobby Thompson of the Giants hit the "Shot Heard 'Round the World" off Dodgers' pitcher Ralph Branca.

I agree Doc. Barring injuries, basketball, hockey and football teams can field the same personnel each day. So on any given day they can battle it out to see who is best even if for just a game game playoff. Baseball is different because the starting pitcher changes daily which significantly alters a team's strength from one day to the next.

The 1972 Phillies were the best team in MLB on days Steve Carlton pitched. He was 27-10 with a 1.97 ERA. On days he pitched the Phillies were 29-12. That's a winning pct of .707. No team in MLB had a pct better than .619. But on days he didn't pitch they were 30-85. The strength or weakness of a baseball team depends on the totality of its starting pitchers since the same pitcher can't go everyday. So a series of games is required to see who is the better team. Even a 3 game series is less than ideal but is at least better than a single game when whichever pitcher starts will impact the outcome rather than being just one of multiple starters as was done all season.
2drfischer@gmail.c

527F72636475622221100 wrote: Playoffs are simple.  Turn back the clock.  The two teams with the best records in each league make the WS. If there is a tie for first in either league simply have a one-game playoff ala Brooklyn and the NY Giants in 1951 when Bobby Thompson of the Giants hit the "Shot Heard 'Round the World" off Dodgers' pitcher Ralph Branca.

I agree Doc. Barring injuries, basketball, hockey and football teams can field the same personnel each day. So on any given day they can battle it out to see who is best even if for just a game game playoff. Baseball is different because the starting pitcher changes daily which significantly alters a team's strength from one day to the next.

The 1972 Phillies were the best team in MLB on days Steve Carlton pitched. He was 27-10 with a 1.97 ERA. On days he pitched the Phillies were 29-12. That's a winning pct of .707. No team in MLB had a pct better than .619. But on days he didn't pitch they were 30-85. The strength or weakness of a baseball team depends on the totality of its starting pitchers since the same pitcher can't go everyday. So a series of games is required to see who is the better team. Even a 3 game series is less than ideal but is at least better than a single game when whichever pitcher starts will impact the outcome rather than being just one of multiple starters as was done all season.   

Well said. Baseball is indeed unique among the team sports because of the starting pitching. A series is much more likely to allow for the best team to win although, in baseball, even the bad teams can win a three game set much more often than can happen in the other major sports, because of the pitching.

In addition, it's a game that can be played everyday (and even twice a day), even with travel. That's why I'd like to see fewer off days during the playoff rounds. I know guys are tired but surely their energy levels rise with the urgency that comes with playoff baseball.
shedman

Post by shedman »

I would be willing to accept any Division realignment, playoff structure, and even the DH in the National League in exchange for a strict enforcement of a salary floor in baseball. There just has to be some way to get Nutting to pay up or get out!
2drfischer@gmail.c

79626F6E676B640A0 wrote: I would be willing to accept any Division realignment, playoff structure, and even the DH in the National League in exchange for a strict enforcement of a salary floor in baseball.  There just has to be some way to get Nutting to pay up or get out!

We know he's not going to pay up. He has to be run out of the game. We as fans won't be able to do it. The other owners have to force him out, which probably won't happen, a very rich person has to make him an offer he can't turn down, or he has to be involved in an unseemly scandal. As long as he maintains ownership, it's unlikely this city will ever see a World Series again.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

29323F3E373B345A0 wrote: I would be willing to accept any Division realignment, playoff structure, and even the DH in the National League in exchange for a strict enforcement of a salary floor in baseball.  There just has to be some way to get Nutting to pay up or get out!

I don't see how a floor is going to help the Pirates at all. the team just would always spend a little above the floor, and contending teams will spend a lot more.
Lecom

Post by Lecom »

4F69687F69790A0 wrote: I would be willing to accept any Division realignment, playoff structure, and even the DH in the National League in exchange for a strict enforcement of a salary floor in baseball.  There just has to be some way to get Nutting to pay up or get out!

I don't see how a floor is going to help the Pirates at all.  the team just would always spend a little above the floor, and contending teams will spend a lot more.

Exactly, that is why there also needs to be a salary cap. We all know that would take a work stoppage to get that something the owners are not willing to do .