Re: Official Game Thread - 8/1 - Phillies vs. Pirates

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I've seen enough Bucs and Phillies over the years to know that both teams know all about guys who don't belong in the majors.

How 'bout it, Dave & Javy? :)
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

“We have to figure out a way to finish it,” manager Derek Shelton said. “Sweeping a series in the big leagues is hard. It’s just going to be something that is part of our overall team growth.”

https://triblive.com/sports/mitch-kelle ... -triple-a/

Is he kidding? There have been 7 times when the Pirates needed to win a game to sweep a 3 or 4 game series. That's always going to be difficult if not impossible because they don't have enough starting pitching to get 3 or 4 good games in a row. But in one of those 7 series finales Gamel was rested to play Tom. In another Moran was rested to play Gonzalez at 1B. In another, Gamel was rested to play Oliva. In 2 of them, Hayes was rested to play Difo. And in one of the few times Polanco was being productive, he was rested the day after having 2 hits including a HR to play Oliva. So as difficult as it is to sweep, especially with an awful rotation, it's made even more difficult when the manager chooses those games (among others) to use a weaker lineup than is necessary.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Bob,

Let's just say you & the Mrs. are having a picnic at the Ster Estate one night.

You can invite one and only one, but you have to invite one of the three, no exception.

Who gets that invite- Polanco, Shelty, or Block, and why?

Inquiring minds wanna know!
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

4C796E6E655C6E6E65626E0B0 wrote: Bob,

You can invite one and only one, but you have to invite one of the three, no exception.

If you would ask me that question I would no doubt change things around and invite you GW! ;D ;D ;D ;D With shed in the on-deck circle in case you would decline the invite! ;) ;) ;) ;)
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

0134232328112323282F23460 wrote: Bob,

Excellent question! We can eliminate Block because he would never stop talking. And besides, I have already placed photos of Block inside a red circle with a diagonal line through them (the international "No Joe Block" symbol) all around the Ster Estate. Too much trouble to take them all down.   

We can eliminate Shelton because his lack of common sense frightens me. No telling what he might do once on the estate. I don't want to spend the picnic yelling, "Shelty! Get off of that!" "Shelty! Come down from there!"

So that only leaves Polanco. Seems like a nice, harmless guy (especially with a bat in his hands) who just isn't very good at baseball. But I'm willing to take the chance that he can handle a picnic. As long as he doesn't have to hit, catch or throw anything.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

486568797E6F78383B0A0 wrote: Bob,

Excellent question! We can eliminate Block because he would never stop talking. And besides, I have already placed photos of Block inside a red circle with a diagonal line through them (the international "No Joe Block" symbol) all around the Ster Estate. Too much trouble to take them all down.   

We can eliminate Shelton because his lack of common sense frightens me. No telling what he might do once on the estate. I don't want to spend the picnic yelling, "Shelty! Get off of that!" "Shelty! Come down from there!"

So that only leaves Polanco. Seems like a nice, harmless guy (especially with a bat in his hands) who just isn't very good at baseball. But I'm willing to take the chance that he can handle a picnic. As long as he doesn't have to hit, catch or throw anything.
Maybe he could talk about his base stealing prowess.What else would be there for him to talk about?
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

705159705B53340 wrote: Bob,

If you would ask me that question I would no doubt change things around and invite you GW!   ;D ;D ;D ;D  With shed in the on-deck circle in case you would decline the invite!   ;) ;) ;) ;)

Shed is THE PARTY. You guys have him all wrong. Greatest guy. Met him with Dave and Champs/Otis/607179. Big time Pirates fans all.

Met Mrs. Wildwood, too. She's still suffering withdrawal symptoms.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

002D20313627307073420 wrote: Bob,

The wisdom shown on this message board never ceases to impress me